shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rock ear cuffs?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All,

I recently have started seeing a new trend in earrings that I really like. It seems that ear cuffs are all the rage from the runway to the red carpet. But is it a lasting trend or just a fashion fad? Will those diamond clusters just look dated in a few years or can it be a classic timeless look?

_26986.jpg

_26987.jpg

_26988.jpg

_26989.jpg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, some huge diamonds there- must be quite heavy, wonder how easily they stay on? To me they are reminiscent of the huge clip on earrings of the 40's and 50's. Very striking but I can't imagine an occasion where I could wear similar pieces. You definitely need amazing hair to carry them off!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe classy diamond cluster earrings will ever date, not sure about the ones being worn by Lupita Nyong'o though.

DK :))

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd wear them. To work, to the store, to eat breakfast in my own kitchen...

(Note lack of red carpet events in my life... I'd still wear 'em!). :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the look but have not yet tried it out so I don't know if it would be comfortable for me and my sensitive ears. However if it was I would totally rock it because I think it is a great look if done with the right earrings and not too heavy for the ears. Love this pair (though these do look like regular earrings). :love:
And I agree with dk. Diamonds are always in style and beautiful. A blingy but tasteful diamond cluster is OMG TDF IMO. :love:

Oh and I LOVE her necklace too!

_27020.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I love the look, but I personally would not wear them. I'd be terrified they would be too heavy and make my ears either sag or rip. Plus, I have a number of piercings, and something that large would cover up several others.

When the title said ear cuffs, I saw something totally different in my head! I have rocked some ear cuffs like the ones below, but again, at this point, I just have holes there, so there's no need add anything additional. I remember those things being so tight they'd make my ear hurt after a few hours, but then to keep them in place you'd have to squeeze them on there really good!

ear_cuff.jpg

ear_cuff_2.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love them, I wore cuffs to my homecoming back in the 90s!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a fun look for a special event but seems like a fad to me.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I like the look and have actually purchased a couple a few weeks ago (but have not worn them yet). I also like the climbing earrings and the front-back earrings (like the ones spotted on the Chanel runway). I wear my front-back ball studs sometimes, but some of them can be heavy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
These are the front-back earrings (sometimes referred to as "tribal earrings")

22994d05c447aaedb7c63217a809254b.jpg

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1423939026|3832555 said:

Cute! I like those chunky pearls.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
That is really pretty but i definately think it might be too heavy on my ear. Plus one of my piercings are lower on my lobe than the other. I wonder if that style,would emphasize it more. Do they have screw backs?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot86|1423937877|3832547 said:
Love them, I wore cuffs to my homecoming back in the 90s!
I think I may have missed this in the 90's but I was definately layering my multicolored neon slouch socks in the 80's!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't love my ears but Missy, OTH, she has the ears for them! :wavey:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm an 80's baby and I had these in the mid 90's, they were cool then too. Mine actually was gold wire and spelled my name all the way up my ear. I have no clue what happened to it but if I still had it I would wear it for a 90's throwback. I do still have my name ring and necklace also from the 90's and sometimes I wear them for fun. I figure someday my kids will get a kick out of them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see most of those original pics as being ear cuffs. Many just look like diamond cluster earrings. But true ear cuffs, yes, are most certainly a fad and not something I would recommend spending a lot of money on. The larger cluster earrings are very formal looking (and the pics are red carpet events), so I can't see that most people would wear those often either. I still think studs or diamond leverback drop earrings are the most wearable diamond earrings because they can go casual or dressy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1423958807|3832685 said:
I don't love my ears but Missy, OTH, she has the ears for them! :wavey:

Aww thank you Kristie. You are way too kind and generous though. And I also think you are being hard on yourself. C'mon I know you could rock those big diamond clusters anytime anywhere girlfriend. :appl:

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had something entirely different in my head too. I think the original ones are not true earcuffs either but clusters, which are very pretty but definitely not for every day. They would be very heavy and not comfy. Nice for a ball, gala dinner, something of the like though. Beautiful pieces. I still think personally I would rather wear striking dangles though (with support when needed and only for occasions). Yes, these pieces remind me of clips from the 80's and 90's too and have some friends that wore those and their earlobes are stretched to the max.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that is the limiting factor for me Ovi. The weight of the earrings as I cannot tolerate anything more than 5 grams total which does limit me quite a bit with earring selection. If I told you all the gorgeous earrings I love but cannot wear as they are just too heavy for my earlobes. I definitely do not want that stretched out look. I don't get the kids these days who stretch their earlobes on purpose...what's that about?

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Very true Missy, my goldsmith tells me to keep the weight under 5 grams if you want to wear something every day. So I try to, sometimes of course this is impossible because of large stones, etc. then you need additional support and can most likely only wear them for special occasions. Trying to keep weight under 5 grams can be very challenging at times but for people wanting to keep the shape of their earlobes and be comfortable as well as wear something beautiful on a daily basis it is a good guideline to follow. I have very tiny earlobes attached to me face (not sure how to explain this), I doubt that they would stretch and I have on occasion worn very heavy earrings but the problem is that I often get infection and this is one very important reason to limit earring weight. Of course everyone is free to wear what they like, I am only talking about general recommendations. Still love the look of some of these very large earrings.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1423977337|3832827 said:
I don't see most of those original pics as being ear cuffs. Many just look like diamond cluster earrings. But true ear cuffs, yes, are most certainly a fad and not something I would recommend spending a lot of money on. The larger cluster earrings are very formal looking (and the pics are red carpet events), so I can't see that most people would wear those often either. I still think studs or diamond leverback drop earrings are the most wearable diamond earrings because they can go casual or dressy.

Yes, most of those are not ear cuffs - they are cluster earrings. I've seen some earrings that actually fit into more than one ear hole (some have parts on the top that are actual ear cuffs), but I think most of the earrings in those pictures are not cuffs. It's just a different take on the statement earring. As far as ear cuffs are concerned, you wouldn't really need to spend a lot of money in the first place (at least the simple metal ones are pretty cheap) and there are plenty of sellers on Etsy who make/sell them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1423957971|3832679 said:
That is really pretty but i definately think it might be too heavy on my ear. Plus one of my piercings are lower on my lobe than the other. I wonder if that style,would emphasize it more. Do they have screw backs?

Not all of them are heavy - only certain styles. Some are actually quite light, but you have to shop around to find them. They do not have screw backs. They just slide on like an earring back and some styles, you can mix and match the fronts and backs.

000Ed

Rough_Rock
I have some I wear sometimes I ended up getting this on to wrap around the top of the ear. super quirky DSCN3918 (8).jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results