shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you repair this clasp? Replace it?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL left us a few pieces of high karat jewelry when she passed, this chain included. I really like it, and would like to wear it with a few of the pendants she left us, but the M (W?) clasp is damaged, and about to break at one of the bends. It looks like she'd had the same spot repaired at least once already. Should I get a different style of clasp? Replace this one with the same style? Have this clasp repaired again? I would like to honor the piece's history (and my MIL's memory), and keep this traditional style clasp, but I'm worried the same issue will arise in the future, and worse, it could break and I could lose the pendant or chain. The chain is not long enough to slip over my head, so it needs to be a working clasp.
Thoughts?
20230127_142834.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful chain! The color is so rich and lush. My suggestion would be to replace with a different style since this one has already been repaired. Do you have a jeweler you can trust to make a recommendation? I’ve heard that the lobster clasp is the strongest. Long shot suggestion, could you find chain links to match annd extend the chain long enough to put over your head and eliminate the clasp?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, looking at the clasp now, I believe it had been mis-used, in that the prongs had been pulled outwards along the flat axis, instead of being pushed up and down at 90deg to the flat axis.

This is what a jeweller taught me when I was young and was wearing high karat gold.

I personally would replace it with like for like to retain the aesthetic look.

DK :))

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Do you have another clasp that you could poach from another necklace?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, looking at the clasp now, I believe it had been mis-used, in that the prongs had been pulled outwards along the flat axis, instead of being pushed up and down at 90deg to the flat axis.

This is what a jeweller taught me when I was young and was wearing high karat gold.

Oh I learned something new today!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

This is news to me too, DK! Thank you for that helpful info.

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I like the link style! Very unique. Yes I wish my mom had taught me the proper way to open and shut this style prong but honestly she probably didn't know either. My mom gave me a few of her 24k chains and some of the M clasps were in such bad shape from being bent I decided to just replace them with a new 22k lobster clasp which I prefer anyway.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Replace with lobster claw.

Spouse has a highish kt chain (with Keshi pearls) with this style of clasp ("S" not "W") that she will not wear for fear of losing. Not quite soft enough for quick flip of the clasp -- so maybe only 20 kt. It's just enough of anxiety-provoker that she avoids the chain which she otherwise loves -- and put the matching pendant on a non-matching chain. We will go the lobster-claw route for security and peace-of-mind -- even at the expense of originality/authenticity.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s a beautiful chain. I’ve never seen a clasp like that. It looks like a snake! You could add a clasp but keep that one on like a decoration in the back. It would just dangle.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Replace with lobster claw.

Spouse has a highish kt chain (with Keshi pearls) with this style of clasp ("S" not "W") that she will not wear for fear of losing. Not quite soft enough for quick flip of the clasp -- so maybe only 20 kt. It's just enough of anxiety-provoker that she avoids the chain which she otherwise loves -- and put the matching pendant on a non-matching chain. We will go the lobster-claw route for security and peace-of-mind -- even at the expense of originality/authenticity.

I'm in the same boat. I have a lovely jade pendant of hers that I so want to wear with this chain, but I'm afraid of something happening and damaging the jade. And the saddest part is, my DH doesn't remember her wearing any of her pieces at any point during his 40+ years, so they really do deserve a chance to get out and see some daylight. We found everything wrapped in plastic bags, hidden under a pile of clothes, way at the back of her closet after she passed. So sad.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This got me curious and I did find that there is something called an M clasp which is apparently different from the S clasp.

I'm not sure either would make me feel very secure with my jewelry.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
With the two larger ends, what about getting a matching karat gold (with/without diamonds) carabiner clasp? Then you could leave the ends in their original form.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results