shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather have a Ziron EC or Cushion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm scraping the sapphire project for now, which was one of 2 colored stone projects I wanted to do this year (I might do it next year, we'll see) and am instead just going to do the one project with a big honking colored stone RHR. Vendor I am working with has nice rough, and I've always wanted a great Zircon because of all that refraction and because I like some of the colors they come in (I'm not getting a blue/aqua one).

So I'm torn... somewhere between 3-6 carats. What shape should I ask for? Asscher, EC, Cushion, Old Mine Cushion? Other????

What cut would you like, assuming the cutter is very talented (and they are). I like elongated shapes on my fingers, but don't like the night/day effect most ovals seem to have. But I also love asschers, although I have no idea how I'd get one set at a reasonable price (because the settings I want for an asscher are all pricey). And what mm size would you get?

The color won't be too saturated, think honey/champagne/peach tones so it will show the steps of a step cut. Part of me just wants a bg ole honking cushion, which I know how I'd set, and it's reasonably priced, the setting. But since the gem does have good refraction, I keep thinking I should get a step cut because I can get a cushion in a tourmaline or other stone, that doesn't have a high refractive index later.

I'm not planning on owning more than 4 RHR with colored stone centers, so I'm do want to chose carefully. Although part of me is screaming-- why choose! Get both! Get more... more, more , more.
23.gif
LOL.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmmm tricky one.

Personally I''m not sure I''d go with a step or emerald cut. The colour you''ve described - it sounds like the gem will be a sort of Morganite colour? Veering more to pastel tones rather than vivid? If so, it MAY look a little too light in a step cut? If it''s a darker tone then please ignore this comment.

You asked about Asschers? The other thing to bear in mind is the depth - so you have to buy a much bigger carat weight to get the "look" of a bigger gemstone. Setting an Asscher does need some thought and it''s far easier with some of the other cuts.

Whatever its colour however, I love the way that Zircons refract the light. I would want to play that up to expose the gems best feature. A cushion would be wonderfuly sparkly so my preference would be a cushion or an old mine cut (mmmmmm wow!).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The other thing I'm considering is a an octagon (equidistant sides) -- brilliant cut. So I can set it in settings for rounds (and there are a ton!) but it would be more fun, for me, that a straight round. Something with a nice high crown.
30.gif

It won't be vivid, but it won't be too mellow either. Nice medium tone, from what I've seen. So excited. I love ordering a stone from the rough, it's such a thrill.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Just a personal opinion but I think the facet pattern of a cushion would show more dispersion than a step cut emerald shape.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
What does the setting you have in mind look like? LTP has an elognated cushion baby pink spinel in a Legacy style that is absolutely beautiful; I also love large cushions. My vote seems pretty obvious...
12.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy, maybe this pic can help in your decision. Since zircons have such a high RI like you mentioned, it''s possible to cut them a little shallower than would be necessary for a stone with a lower RI.

Zircon Asscher 8231.JPG

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2010 9:20:51 PM
Author: cellentani
Hi Gypsy, maybe this pic can help in your decision. Since zircons have such a high RI like you mentioned, it's possible to cut them a little shallower than would be necessary for a stone with a lower RI.
If that's the Gary Zircon Asscher... that's the one that inspired me. I did finally decide on a cushion, I just think it's going to be a knock out... and it should the color of that gorgeous asscher! By Gary, who is a doll, BTW.

As for the setting... I'm looking at this one: http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/21081L/view what do you think?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting. I think a cushion cut will look amazing in zircon and I like the setting too.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What''s a ziron?
11.gif

For a really big rock I simply adore an EC, set with delicate side bullets or traps.
30.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I see you are getting a cushion! I love those too.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/6/2010 9:20:51 PM
Author: cellentani
Hi Gypsy, maybe this pic can help in your decision. Since zircons have such a high RI like you mentioned, it''s possible to cut them a little shallower than would be necessary for a stone with a lower RI.
Cellentani,
Wow, what cutting on that zircon and the colour isn''t overly dark like most red/pinks.

Gypsy,
I still think that if you want maximum sparkle to make full use to zircon''s high RI, I''d go for the cushion cut over the EC. I''ve looked at spessartites both as a step cut and a cushion (both precision cut) and the cushion blows the step cut out of the water for liveliness.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/6/2010 7:48:42 PM
Author: colormyworld
Just a personal opinion but I think the facet pattern of a cushion would show more dispersion than a step cut emerald shape.
I agree. An asccher would be lovely too, though.

Decisions, decisions... so tough!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay approved a nice cushion cut plot for Gary for the peach zircon! Very excited about the refraction. I think it's going to be a dazzler.

Now for the setting. I can't help but think it would look really amazing with hand engraving and milgrain adeed to it, which BGD can do at a reasonable additional charge (I already got the qoute). But I'm wondering what everyone thinks of that. Do you like the setting as is (okay, with stones in it, and polished, and rhodium plated... but you get the point). Or do think that dressing it up with some milgrain and some engraving would be a nice way to dress it up further? I don't have any vintage style peices at all, as they aren't my usual style. But I can't help but think that setting as a lot of unexploited potential that I'd like to exploit.

Setting for the Zircon:
http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/21081L/view

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2010 6:17:23 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay approved a nice cushion cut plot for Gary for the peach zircon! Very excited about the refraction. I think it''s going to be a dazzler.

Now for the setting. I can''t help but think it would look really amazing with hand engraving and milgrain adeed to it, which BGD can do at a reasonable additional charge (I already got the qoute). But I''m wondering what everyone thinks of that. Do you like the setting as is (okay, with stones in it, and polished, and rhodium plated... but you get the point). Or do think that dressing it up with some milgrain and some engraving would be a nice way to dress it up further? I don''t have any vintage style peices at all, as they aren''t my usual style. But I can''t help but think that setting as a lot of unexploited potential that I''d like to exploit.

Setting for the Zircon:
http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/21081L/view
Sounds like that stone''s going to be stunning!!!!

I took a look at the adwar setting, and I like the diamonds in the basket, the split shank (not too wide), but are you happy with the prongs? That''s the only thing I wasn''t crazy about - they look like they''re made for a cut corner stone rather than a cushion (but I know it says cushion in the setting info). Maybe BGD could split the prongs?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually the tab prongs are perfect for the cushion style Gary is cutting... It''s got clipped corners that should fit the tab prongs pretty well. I wanted a stone that was easy to set, and a setting that was made to set it. These two fit prefectly together. As for the prongs. I haven''t decided what I want to do with them yet. I''m going to wait until it''s in the setter''s hands and have him give me recommendations.

Here''s the cushion that is cut to the same design mine will be. See the corners, they are just made for the adwar setting.

0142GYP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results