shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you purchase a yellow diamond with only EGL?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
I have found a yellow diamond that I am interested in, but no GIA, only a EGL. Would you purchase with that or not?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on how expensive it was. If it wasn''t very expensive, under $1K, I wouldn''t mind an EGL. If it were over $1K, I would want a GIA. GIA is really the pinnacle of reports for colored diamonds, and greatly adds to their value. For example, if EGL told me I had a vivid yellow, I wouldn''t really hold that in much regard, and I wouldn''t pay the price on it simply becasuse I don''t trust their color gradings. If GIA told me I had a vivid yellow, I wuld hold that in very high regard, and so would members of the trade.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 10:33:56 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It depends on how expensive it was. If it wasn''t very expensive, under $1K, I wouldn''t mind an EGL. If it were over $1K, I would want a GIA. GIA is really the pinnacle of reports for colored diamonds, and greatly adds to their value. For example, if EGL told me I had a vivid yellow, I wouldn''t really hold that in much regard, and I wouldn''t pay the price on it simply becasuse I don''t trust their color gradings. If GIA told me I had a vivid yellow, I wuld hold that in very high regard, and so would members of the trade.
Here is the EGL. They are asking close to $3,000 for it. Just leary of the EGL report as I have heard it could be off +/- 1 to 2 grades from GIA.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 11:11:26 AM
Author: Taylorbug!

Date: 3/29/2010 10:33:56 AM
Here is the EGL. They are asking close to $3,000 for it. Just leary of the EGL report as I have heard it could be off +/- 1 to 2 grades from GIA.
I wouldn''t buy it then. There are colored diamond dealers that will sell one with a GIA report, like DiamondsByLauren, fancydiamonds.net. I can''t see your EGL report, it won''t attach here because you can only upload photographs to Pricescope in jpg format. If you want to provide the size, color and clarity that EGL states, that''s fine, but truthfully, for $3K, I would want a GIA report.

It''s just like colored gems, there are certain reports, and certain things I look for on a report, for a particular gem variety, and if I don''t see them, I don''t buy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only buy with a GIA report on that stone since it''s been graded as fancy light yellow, which GIA might grade as an X-Z. Fancy colors are more valuable than those designated as an X thru Z (yellowish). There''s really too much of a narrow margin there.

Taylorbug!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 12:04:54 PM
I would only buy with a GIA report on that stone since it''s been graded as fancy light yellow, which GIA might grade as an X-Z. Fancy colors are more valuable than those designated as an X thru Z (yellowish). There''s really too much of a narrow margin there.

Thanks for your imput. Have a great day!
emwink.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Taylorbug - I''ve bought a number of natural yellow diamonds and actually what it comes down to is whether you like the actual colour of the diamond. A fancy light yellow can be too light with only a hint of yellow. In some diamonds this can be incredibly attractive but in others it can be too pale and leaves you wondering if it''s just a white diamond with a tint. $3,000 for a 1.5ct diamond is a good price and I suspect that actually it''s not the colour that''s pulling down the price but the number of inclusions. If you look at the plot on the EGL report, the top half of the marquise is heavily included. That would be more worrying to me.

I would most definitely want to see this diamond in person to evaluate its colour in all lighting conditions and get a better look at the inclusions. As I said, the price isn''t bad but at the end of the day colour is THE most important thing and it must be a colour that grabs you and says "buy me".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2010 1:52:30 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Taylorbug - I''ve bought a number of natural yellow diamonds and actually what it comes down to is whether you like the actual colour of the diamond. A fancy light yellow can be too light with only a hint of yellow. In some diamonds this can be incredibly attractive but in others it can be too pale and leaves you wondering if it''s just a white diamond with a tint. $3,000 for a 1.5ct diamond is a good price and I suspect that actually it''s not the colour that''s pulling down the price but the number of inclusions. If you look at the plot on the EGL report, the top half of the marquise is heavily included. That would be more worrying to me.

I would most definitely want to see this diamond in person to evaluate its colour in all lighting conditions and get a better look at the inclusions. As I said, the price isn''t bad but at the end of the day colour is THE most important thing and it must be a colour that grabs you and says ''buy me''.
I agree with LD that is a good price on the stone for what it is. If you want a more accurate color grade, then GIA is the report for that, but sometimes, if a stone is a very good price, then it may be worth buying, but do not expect it to be the value of a GIA SI2 Fancy light yellow.

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade

I would most definitely want to see this diamond in person to evaluate its colour in all lighting conditions and get a better look at the inclusions. As I said, the price isn''t bad but at the end of the day colour is THE most important thing and it must be a colour that grabs you and says ''buy me''.
I agree with this completely, the most important is if you light the stone. Prices do not change significantly until you reach the fancy vivid range. It''s really important to see color stones in person before making a decision.

--Joshua

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/30/2010 7:59:18 AM
Author: serenitydiamonds

I agree with this completely, the most important is if you light the stone. Prices do not change significantly until you reach the fancy vivid range. It''s really important to see color stones in person before making a decision.

--Joshua
I agree with a lot of what LD wrote.
$3000 for a 1.5ct marquise is a very low price= and it''s likely that the stone is very imperfect.
Remember that EGL outside of the US is even less repsectred than those in New York and LA.
I would not buy such a stone unless I had seen it, and liked it in person- or a dealer I trused was giving me good firsthand reports- and a solid money back guarantee.

Joshua, I have to repsectfully disagree with the highlighted statment.
It is true that a Fancy Vivid Yellow can be double the price of a Fancy Intense- so there are huge differences from Fancy Light Yellow to Vivid.
The grades of Fancy Light Yellow, Fancy Yellow and Fancy Intense Yellow follow a rather logical price curve.
Fancy Intense Yellow can easily be double the cost Fancy Light Yellow. To me, that is signifigant

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/30/2010 2:59:20 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Date: 3/30/2010 7:59:18 AM

Author: serenitydiamonds

--Joshua
I agree with a lot of what LD wrote.

$3000 for a 1.5ct marquise is a very low price= and it''s likely that the stone is very imperfect.

Remember that EGL outside of the US is even less repsectred than those in New York and LA.

I would not buy such a stone unless I had seen it, and liked it in person- or a dealer I trused was giving me good firsthand reports- and a solid money back guarantee.

Joshua, I have to repsectfully disagree with the highlighted statment.

It is true that a Fancy Vivid Yellow can be double the price of a Fancy Intense- so there are huge differences from Fancy Light Yellow to Vivid.

The grades of Fancy Light Yellow, Fancy Yellow and Fancy Intense Yellow follow a rather logical price curve.

Fancy Intense Yellow can easily be double the cost Fancy Light Yellow. To me, that is signifigant
Apologies. Let me clarify, the price difference between a Z color diamond and fancy light yellow, is not that significant. You need only be extremely concerned about the grading as you move more into the fancy vivid space.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results