shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you pay $300 more for an ideal cut stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
While I love my ering stone, it''s not anywhere close to an ideal cut stone. The local B&M jeweler we bought from has a GIA-defined ideal cut stone (I know it''s not the same as AGS ideal) in the EXACT color and carat weight of the stone I have now. It''s a VS2, while mine is a VS1. My husband is opposed to upgrades for sentimental reason but was open to hearing about this one in part because it''s so like my current one, and we also thought that the trade-in would be even, due to the jeweler offering it to a first time buyer for actually $20 less than what I paid for mine. The jeweler has said that he would trade it but would ask for $150 (to send to GIA for recert, shipping, & insurance), and $300 to make a profit on the stone, as I''m going from G/G to Ex/Ex ideal.

I personally thinks this seems fair to me, with the caveat that the stone looks great (I haven''t seen it yet). Would you all go for it?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 1:26:09 PM
Author:Logan Sapphire
While I love my ering stone, it''s not anywhere close to an ideal cut stone. The local B&M jeweler we bought from has a GIA-defined ideal cut stone (I know it''s not the same as AGS ideal) in the EXACT color and carat weight of the stone I have now. It''s a VS2, while mine is a VS1. My husband is opposed to upgrades for sentimental reason but was open to hearing about this one in part because it''s so like my current one, and we also thought that the trade-in would be even, due to the jeweler offering it to a first time buyer for actually $20 less than what I paid for mine. The jeweler has said that he would trade it but would ask for $150 (to send to GIA for recert, shipping, & insurance), and $300 to make a profit on the stone, as I''m going from G/G to Ex/Ex ideal.

I personally thinks this seems fair to me, with the caveat that the stone looks great (I haven''t seen it yet). Would you all go for it?
look at it before you decide. there would have to be more than just a difference in polish/symmetry (in my opinion) to make the change. have your jeweler give your stone a nice lil bath in the us before you compare them. if the new stone outperforms the current one...by all means...do it!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 1:31:39 PM
Author: belle

Date: 3/17/2006 1:26:09 PM
Author:Logan Sapphire

look at it before you decide. there would have to be more than just a difference in polish/symmetry (in my opinion) to make the change. have your jeweler give your stone a nice lil bath in the us before you compare them. if the new stone outperforms the current one...by all means...do it!

Oh, sorry, when you wrote that, I realized I had left out some key information. My stone is a 61/61 (yes, shocking I know, but it really is a pretty stone). This one is a 61/55. So, as long as the new stone outperforms mine, I think it seems worth it.

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
Hi.
61/61 is not a bad cut stone...but it isn''t the "mathematical Ideal"... polish and symmetry on a round cut ... would I pay more for a stone that has "ideal cut"....go down on clarity for a smaller table and EX EX and pay more money? ... no. But that is a personnal decision. I think that before all this mumbo jumbo about cut and etc was introduced, people were perfectly happy with what they had.... without all the microscopes and instruments, who can tell anyhow? Myself, I am a Gemologist, and I still prefer a larger table 59-61% ... why? cause this size gives an illusion of a larger stone....now, unless one has a micrometer and a microscope handy all the time, what is the BIG deal? I mean, you will be dropping your clarity and still paying more money and then on top of it, you will be trading in a sentimental center stone that took effort love and consideration for your beloved to pick out no? I don''t mean to sound so mean and heartless, but it really isn''t worth it in my opinion....if I am going to go down in clarity, I would ask for a larger stone ... although these Ideal cut diamonds come a little more expensive, it is of my opinion that you can find an extremely well cut ideal for a comparable price.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 2:06:53 PM
Author: diamondgirlNY
Hi.
61/61 is not a bad cut stone...but it isn''t the ''mathematical Ideal''... polish and symmetry on a round cut ... would I pay more for a stone that has ''ideal cut''....go down on clarity for a smaller table and EX EX and pay more money? ... no. But that is a personnal decision. I think that before all this mumbo jumbo about cut and etc was introduced, people were perfectly happy with what they had.... without all the microscopes and instruments, who can tell anyhow? Myself, I am a Gemologist, and I still prefer a larger table 59-61% ... why? cause this size gives an illusion of a larger stone....now, unless one has a micrometer and a microscope handy all the time, what is the BIG deal? I mean, you will be dropping your clarity and still paying more money and then on top of it, you will be trading in a sentimental center stone that took effort love and consideration for your beloved to pick out no? I don''t mean to sound so mean and heartless, but it really isn''t worth it in my opinion....if I am going to go down in clarity, I would ask for a larger stone ... although these Ideal cut diamonds come a little more expensive, it is of my opinion that you can find an extremely well cut ideal for a comparable price.
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I will say, though, that although I picked out the stone and the setting (because he got so nervous it made him physically sick
9.gif
), I wouldn''t do this unilaterally without my husband being on board. If this hurts his feelings, I won''t do it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 2:06:53 PM
Hi.
61/61 is not a bad cut stone...but it isn't the 'mathematical Ideal'... polish and symmetry on a round cut ... would I pay more for a stone that has 'ideal cut'....go down on clarity for a smaller table and EX EX and pay more money? ... no. But that is a personnal decision. I think that before all this mumbo jumbo about cut and etc was introduced, people were perfectly happy with what they had.... without all the microscopes and instruments, who can tell anyhow? Myself, I am a Gemologist, and I still prefer a larger table 59-61% ... why? cause this size gives an illusion of a larger stone....now, unless one has a micrometer and a microscope handy all the time, what is the BIG deal? I mean, you will be dropping your clarity and still paying more money and then on top of it, you will be trading in a sentimental center stone that took effort love and consideration for your beloved to pick out no? I don't mean to sound so mean and heartless, but it really isn't worth it in my opinion....if I am going to go down in clarity, I would ask for a larger stone ... although these Ideal cut diamonds come a little more expensive, it is of my opinion that you can find an extremely well cut ideal for a comparable price.
you must be new here!!
2.gif

who can tell? well your average person CAN tell the differences between various stones without mumbo jumbo or microscopes...i personally had a 61/57 stone, that is 61 table and 57 depth and it did not perform nearly as well as my now almost super-ideal stone...having seen them both in person everyone comments on how much better my current stone looks than my old one. even without me saying a thing, someone who doesn't know a thing about diamonds said once 'well i didnt know if it was just me but i didnt think the old stone sparkled as much as this new one'...well it surely didn't. Sure it looked bigger than it was but I was trading off alot of fire and a more symmetrical feel for a larger looking stone. Not worth it in my opinion.

maybe people were perfectly happy with what they had because they were ignorant. they do say ignorance is bliss. if i didn't know what i know now, sure i'd be happy with some crappy maul stone or my old BIC large tabled stone, i wouldn't know any better. but there is nothing wrong with education too. it doesn't mean EVERYONE has to have an ideal cut stone, some people love FIC's or BIC's and wouldn't want a TIC. there is something for everyone. but education about cut is giving us/the consumers the *option* on how to spend their money and that is more than most maul jewelers can offer you as they try to push you into a steep deep combo stone and tell you that EGL is a reputable lab and I1 is what 'everyone' buys.

many people on PS have seen horribly cut stones and seen 'ideal' or more proportionate and well-cut stones and have seen the difference...you don't always need an instrument or other tools to see the difference between crap cut and well-cut, regardless of the numbers. PS is hugely about education on cut quality and what it entails so that people DO have that choice to make on what they want to buy.

Logan..I heartily second Belle's comments, if you see the stone and it looks good then I'd do it, it's not a large amount in the scheme of things but if you don't see a different visually then maybe it's not worth it, except for 'peace of mind' from an 'i have an ideal cut stone' perspective, which may not be worth it if you love your stone now!

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
mara:

First of all, When i say "mumbo jumbo"... I mean this : to split hairs over on cut when you have a relatively well cut stone to begin with. When you are using your stone to exemplify your point, I accept that the expression "mumbo jumbo" isn''t right because in your case, when you are purchasing a 57% depth table, it most certainly has intrinsic light return problems, but when you are comparing apples to apples, as in for Logan Sapphire''s case, I think it is a matter of splitting hairs. YES it will ultimately be her decision, but when you are talking the difference in price for her NOW VS1 for a VS2 and having to pay more money for a smaller table and EX EX reading on polish and Symmetry for a ROUND stone.... honestly, give me a break...this is a hood wink job if I ever saw one. I am sure that I could find Logan Sapphire an ideal cut diamond VS1 clarity EX EX CUT for 300 dollars more.... I am not contesting that cut is not an important factor what I am contesting is that the only thing that seems to be "wrong" with this case is that she is being offered a stone that is the same color, same size, lower clarity, for MORE money..

hullo? am I the only one who sees the "inequality" in this proposal???

38.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 2:29:15 PM
mara:

First of all, When i say ''mumbo jumbo''... I mean this : to split hairs over on cut when you have a relatively well cut stone to begin with. When you are using your stone to exemplify your point, I accept that the expression ''mumbo jumbo'' isn''t right because in your case, when you are purchasing a 57% depth table, it most certainly has intrinsic light return problems, but when you are comparing apples to apples, as in for Logan Sapphire''s case, I think it is a matter of splitting hairs. YES it will ultimately be her decision, but when you are talking the difference in price for her NOW VS1 for a VS2 and having to pay more money for a smaller table and EX EX reading on polish and Symmetry for a ROUND stone.... honestly, give me a break...this is a hood wink job if I ever saw one. I am sure that I could find Logan Sapphire an ideal cut diamond VS1 clarity EX EX CUT for 300 dollars more.... I am not contesting that cut is not an important factor what I am contesting is that the only thing that seems to be ''wrong'' with this case is that she is being offered a stone that is the same color, same size, lower clarity, for MORE money..

hullo? am I the only one who sees the ''inequality'' in this proposal???

38.gif
please exlplain how a ''57% depth table'' has intrinsic light return problems

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
LS, even thought it would be $300 for a similar stone and to go from VS1 to VS2 in clarity, if that sucker outperforms the stone you have, I would get the new one in a heartbeat.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
mara:

First of all, When i say ''mumbo jumbo''... I mean this : to split hairs over on cut when you have a relatively well cut stone to begin with. When you are using your stone to exemplify your point, I accept that the expression ''mumbo jumbo'' isn''t right because in your case, when you are purchasing a 57% depth table, it most certainly has intrinsic light return problems, but when you are comparing apples to apples, as in for Logan Sapphire''s case, I think it is a matter of splitting hairs. YES it will ultimately be her decision, but when you are talking the difference in price for her NOW VS1 for a VS2 and having to pay more money for a smaller table and EX EX reading on polish and Symmetry for a ROUND stone.... honestly, give me a break...this is a hood wink job if I ever saw one. I am sure that I could find Logan Sapphire an ideal cut diamond VS1 clarity EX EX CUT for 300 dollars more.... I am not contesting that cut is not an important factor what I am contesting is that the only thing that seems to be ''wrong'' with this case is that she is being offered a stone that is the same color, same size, lower clarity, for MORE money..

hullo? am I the only one who sees the ''inequality'' in this proposal???

38.gif
I thought ideal cut stones cost more, so why shouldn''t the new ideal stone cost more than my current not-so-ideal stone? Yes, mine has better clarity, but does cut trump clarity, or is the other way around? Technically, if someone off the street bought the new stone, they would indeed be paying $20 less than what I paid for my stone. But because this is a trade-in, if we just made an even exchange, he would not be making any money off of giving me an ideal stone for a not-ideal stone. I respect that he wants to make a profit, albeit a small one. Or am I totally crazy here? If I am, don''t be afraid to tellme He doesn''t have the requirement that the trade in must be 50% or 100% more that original purchase.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara:

First of all, When i say 'mumbo jumbo'... I mean this : to split hairs over on cut when you have a relatively well cut stone to begin with. When you are using your stone to exemplify your point, I accept that the expression 'mumbo jumbo' isn't right because in your case, when you are purchasing a 57% depth table, it most certainly has intrinsic light return problems, but when you are comparing apples to apples, as in for Logan Sapphire's case, I think it is a matter of splitting hairs. YES it will ultimately be her decision, but when you are talking the difference in price for her NOW VS1 for a VS2 and having to pay more money for a smaller table and EX EX reading on polish and Symmetry for a ROUND stone.... honestly, give me a break...this is a hood wink job if I ever saw one. I am sure that I could find Logan Sapphire an ideal cut diamond VS1 clarity EX EX CUT for 300 dollars more.... I am not contesting that cut is not an important factor what I am contesting is that the only thing that seems to be 'wrong' with this case is that she is being offered a stone that is the same color, same size, lower clarity, for MORE money..

hullo? am I the only one who sees the 'inequality' in this proposal???

38.gif
am i missing something? because i don't know how from the meager information she listed that you can tell that we are comparing apples to apples here. it never occured to me that with just t/d listing and an EX vs G rating that you (or anyone) can know, without a shadow of a doubt, that the two stones are the same cut quality and advise her one way or the other.

could it be that maybe the new stone is more expensive because it's technically labeled an ideal cut stone and her old one is not? nah couldn't be that...we never see better cut stones going for more on here OR in the real world.
20.gif

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
57% depth percentage = overall proportional problems....either a shallow pavillion depth % which = shallow pavillion angles
or
shallow crown angles which would be noted on a GIA ....
so, by nature of the overall cut of the depth proportional to the average diameter, you will have light return PROBLEMS.

As far as the 61/61 is concerned, you because the depth is within the "proportional standards of an IDEAL CUT;standard to AGS" the chances of having the correct pavillion depth, crown height percentage and girdle percentage is much more likely...NOT always the case, but the chances are much greater.

Also I would like to note here, CUT is by far a much more important C out of the 5 C''s here...BUT if it is incongruent to everything you have then you are not getting a deal !! I can''t seem to remember how large your stone actually is, but I will use the 1.00-1.49 G VS1 and G VS2 as a reference point....the difference per carat is 600/ct. that means that if you are purchasing a 1.00ct GVS2 EX EX ideal AGS 000... you should expect to spend about 6480 net on the stone...on a 1.00 ct G VS1 EX EX ideal AGS 000 about 7020. Your jeweller will be making money on the stone that you currently have, as well as making money on the stone he is selling you... I agree that your jeweller needs to make money, this is why he is in business, but at whose expense?.... Obviously if the stone he is presenting you is much more brilliant and fiery than the stone you currently have then I advise to purchase, but to ask for a VS1 like the one you have, why would you settle for a lesser clarity and still pay more money on top is my question...If you are asking me 300 on top of a trade in for a stone of equal color and clairity then go for it...heck I would even pay 600 more...but why would you pay more for a lesser clarity PLUS your stone is beyond me, IDEAL cuts go for more, but not 1100 dollars more for a lower clarity!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 3:16:42 PM
57% depth percentage = overall proportional problems....either a shallow pavillion depth % which = shallow pavillion angles
or
so, by nature of the overall cut of the depth proportional to the average diameter, you will have light return PROBLEMS.

As far as the 61/61 is concerned, you because the depth is within the ''proportional standards of an IDEAL CUT;standard to AGS'' the chances of having the correct pavillion depth, crown height percentage and girdle percentage is much more likely...NOT always the case, but the chances are much greater.

Also I would like to note here, CUT is by far a much more important C out of the 5 C''s here...BUT if it is incongruent to everything you have then you are not getting a deal !! I can''t seem to remember how large your stone actually is, but I will use the 1.00-1.49 G VS1 and G VS2 as a reference point....the difference per carat is 600/ct. that means that if you are purchasing a 1.00ct GVS2 EX EX ideal AGS 000... you should expect to spend about 6480 net on the stone...on a 1.00 ct G VS1 EX EX ideal AGS 000 about 7020. Your jeweller will be making money on the stone that you currently have, as well as making money on the stone he is selling you... I agree that your jeweller needs to make money, this is why he is in business, but at whose expense?.... Obviously if the stone he is presenting you is much more brilliant and fiery than the stone you currently have then I advise to purchase, but to ask for a VS1 like the one you have, why would you settle for a lesser clarity and still pay more money on top is my question...If you are asking me 300 on top of a trade in for a stone of equal color and clairity then go for it...heck I would even pay 600 more...but why would you pay more for a lesser clarity PLUS your stone is beyond me, IDEAL cuts go for more, but not 1100 dollars more for a lower clarity!!

I''m confused. I wouldn''t be paying $1100 more. I''d only be paying $300 more.

My stone- .78ct., E, VS1, G/G, 61/61, slightly thick-thick girdle, and varying diameter, but the avg. is 5.9
Their stone- .78 ct., E, VS2, EX/EX, 61/55, medium girdle, very tight diameter variance of 5.95

Yes, I know no crown/pav angles, but I can only work within certain parameters.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i think she meant that a VS2 should cost $800 less than a VS1 of similar specs. Since you will be paying $300 for the trade, and the new stone should be $800 less, your total "loss" is $1100.

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
thank you for helping me clarify.

Look, I am all for fairness. I am not trying to kill profit for your jeweller, but as a woman with experience in this industry, I would not advise you to make this trade, because it is not fair to you...if your jeweller is offering you a EVS1 of the same ex ex and asking for three hundred on top or even 600 dolllars on top I think it would be worth it, but for them to be asking you for more money on a lesser clarity than the one you have for a smaller table, he is not being fair to you because it isn''t comparable.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Logan, would you have to pay $450 total, the recert and his profit?

I think the only way you''ll know is to see it. If the new stone knocks your socks off and you can tell the difference between the two, it may be worth it for you. If the difference isn''t that noticable and you''re not going up in size, I''d probably skip it. Anyway to get a little size jump out of hubby
31.gif
?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 3:23:21 PM
Author: Logan Sapphire

Date: 3/17/2006 3:16:42 PM
or

As far as the 61/61 is concerned, you because the depth is within the ''proportional standards of an IDEAL CUT;standard to AGS'' the chances of having the correct pavillion depth, crown height percentage and girdle percentage is much more likely...NOT always the case, but the chances are much greater.

I''m confused. I wouldn''t be paying $1100 more. I''d only be paying $300 more.

My stone- .78ct., E, VS1, G/G, 61/61, slightly thick-thick girdle, and varying diameter, but the avg. is 5.9
Their stone- .78 ct., E, VS2, EX/EX, 61/55, medium girdle, very tight diameter variance of 5.95

Yes, I know no crown/pav angles, but I can only work within certain parameters.
LS,
I get a variance in value between .78ct E VS1 and E VS2 of less than $250 not counting discount below standard pricing. Add that to your $300 transaction fee and any recert and resetting costs to estimate the premium you will be paying to upgrade the cut. I think your diamond looks great, and there is the sentimental value issue, so I agree with MrsS that it''s up to you to decide if the improved brilliance, if any, is worth it to you. Good luck with your decision whichever way it goes.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 3:45:01 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Logan, would you have to pay $450 total, the recert and his profit?

I think the only way you''ll know is to see it. If the new stone knocks your socks off and you can tell the difference between the two, it may be worth it for you. If the difference isn''t that noticable and you''re not going up in size, I''d probably skip it. Anyway to get a little size jump out of hubby
31.gif
?

Yes, $450 total. Nothing more.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
So, after really thinking about it, I''ve decided not to do the trade-in. Like people have said, while my diamond is far from perfect, it is pretty and therefore not worth paying even $300 more. That''s $300 more towards a big honker for my right hand! Thanks everyone!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok... 61/61 but what's the rest ? angles... brilliance if that's easier. You get to see the stone, but to get any idea of what it is like online is another handful.

Try the HCA bit above with 61 table - or any such software and it should tell you that some proportions work better than other for those two numbers.

AGS would give top grade up to 61% table... in the current system. To me that doesn't make much of a difference - what the diamond looks like, certainly does. Only how to see this one ?
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

6161HCA.JPG

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Logan, I too thought your diamond was beautiful. I don''t have time to wade through all the technical "mumbo-jumbo" above, but I was going to agree with those who said "if the new stone knocks your socks off" it might be worth it. But I see you''ve decided not to, and that makes sense. Since you have a beautiful diamond with sentimental value, and you wouldn''t be going up in size, sounds like a good idea to save that money and get something else for your right hand later!
31.gif

I do have a few questions though: Can anyone tell me, what do BIC, FIC & TIC mean? (Sorry to be a PS dummy!)

diamondgirlNY

Rough_Rock
I think
TIC=Tolkowsky Ideal Cut
BIC=?

I am a PC dummy too...WF=WhiteFlash
BN=Blue NIle...
I think that is about the limits of my knowlege as far as abbreviations go....
sorry couldn''t help you more.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m late chiming in but I see you made up your mind already. I say get the asscher for a RHR you''ve been wanting. I''ve seen your diamond and I think it''s beautiful.
30.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
BIC - brilliant ideal cut
FIC - fiery ideal cut
TIC - Tolkowsky ideal cut

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read that you have decided not to do the trade. While I would certainly respect your decision, I would encourage you to at least look at the other stone. I too have seen your stone and agree with all the others - it''s beautiful. Two stones ago I had a 60/60 - not exact but close enough to call it that. It was a GIA certed stone. I upgraded to an AGS0 stone - basically same size stone but did go from an H to a G. The visual difference to me was substantial. I eventually upgraded once more - up 20 points which some would have said no way don''t do it but I have never regretted it. I finally got the size, cut, color and clarity I was after.

You might not find such a difference but having that carrot dangled in front of your nose may always trouble you if you at least don''t take a look. That''s the only way you''ll ever know if it would have been worth it to you. You can talk about it all day - numbers are difficult to visualize - the proof is truly in the look see!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Hey Logan,

You know that I think you have a stunning diamond ring, so I would say off the bat to look at the new diamond very closely! If it out performs with your eyes and you must have then go for it. But if it really doesn''t look any better than your then don''t! Personally, I think you should really make sure that your husband is really ok with this. Also you might want to hold off a bit and have your husband totally upgrade on your fifth anniversity to a super ideal larger diamond ring. I just don''t know if it is worth it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well all the discussion of what the market should be pricing stones at aside, the bottom line for ME is that i would pay $300 or $600 or maybe even $900 more for an ideal BETTER PERFORMING stone even if the stone was a VS2 instead of a VS1. diamonds are worth what people will pay for them, that is what should be used to gauge, perceived value is sometimes more important than the money. plus i don't give a whit about clarity as long as it is eye-clean, cut and light return is my top priority and if the new stone returned more light to the eye, it'd be worth paying the extra just to get a 'better looking' stone.

LS i also would at least go see the stone, i know that i would perpetually wonder about it if i did not at least go check it out. you may fall in love with your stone all over again OR really like the new stone. either way at least you did due diligence in the research before making a final decision. good luck!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2006 5:37:52 PM
Author: kaleigh
I''m late chiming in but I see you made up your mind already. I say get the asscher for a RHR you''ve been wanting. I''ve seen your diamond and I think it''s beautiful.
30.gif

yummmmm asscher... yes asscher ... double your bling power with an asscher!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results