shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you pass the new naturalization test?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve lived here all my life, but only became a citizen about 12 years ago. At the time, I recall having to study for the test, even after all those history classes in school.

The new test is supposed to be a bit harder, and for grins you can see if you know enough to become a citizen. Sample test is at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21019797/.

I missed 2 for 92%...Phew! I passed! (BTW, you only need a 60% to pass and become a citizen...a D. Tough standards we have...
41.gif
)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness, I only got a 76%! But at least for all the questions I got wrong, I didn''t think I had the right answer
3.gif

I know PLENTY of natural-born citizens that wouldn''t get a 60% on that thing.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I missed 7...woops! I''d pass, but I think I need a history review
1.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I got a 92% but I was a poli sci/govt major in college. Nonetheless I struggled to come up with some of the answers.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Non-Americans here - I got 76%, BF got 56%! Looks like I'm in and he's not?
6.gif
2.gif
Then again, he was just larking around doing the quiz, whereas I was actually thinking... hmmm...

I missed seven questions but in fairness one of those was the tax one!
20.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I got 84%, it''s been a while since history class, but I''m sure I would have gotten them all right when I was taking Government in high school. They really were that tough.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I got a 76%
15.gif

(runs off to study U.S. history)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
had a brain fart on how many years a senator is elected for.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
84% - not bad considering I always hated history class.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got 88%. Guess I knew more than I thought. A couple things I missed really surprised me.
34.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I got 96%, but it probably helps that I was a poli sci major undergrad and studied law. I couldn''t remember how many amendments there are to the Constitution.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yanno ... if someone made a Life Science test you had to pass to live on THIS EARTH ... I bet there''d be a long line at the "Jet-Propel-You-Into-The-Ether-Now" FAILURE Station.
3.gif
11.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
100%, but the multiple choice format helped on a number of questions. I''m kind of disappointed cause there was some spin out that the new test was going to ask bigger-picture questions that are more important for citizens to know instead of the standard detail-dribble of presidental birthdays and whatnot.

While there were some government questions that seem relatively important for citizens to know (assuming you want them to know how government works), the history questions were pretty useless.

Who really needs to remember that the Constitution was written in 1780-something and not 1776, when we declared independence?

Do we really need to remember Wilson was president during WWI, or that the Louisiana purchase was made in 1803 from France?

There aren''t any questions about historical issues or important civil themes, ie. no slavery/Civil War questions, or questions about where/what side we fought for in the world wars, what grievances were listed in the Declaration of Independence, or questions on what rights exactly are promised in the Bill of Rights.

Its kind of disturbing that the test-writers place more value on knowing when each president served and what other things the presidents had accomplished than what exactly is promised in the Bill of Rights or what issues led to the Civil War.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 4:01:44 PM
Author: cara
100%, but the multiple choice format helped on a number of questions. I''m kind of disappointed cause there was some spin out that the new test was going to ask bigger-picture questions that are more important for citizens to know instead of the standard detail-dribble of presidental birthdays and whatnot.

While there were some government questions that seem relatively important for citizens to know (assuming you want them to know how government works), the history questions were pretty useless.

Who really needs to remember that the Constitution was written in 1780-something and not 1776, when we declared independence?

Do we really need to remember Wilson was president during WWI, or that the Louisiana purchase was made in 1803 from France?

There aren''t any questions about historical issues or important civil themes, ie. no slavery/Civil War questions, or questions about where/what side we fought for in the world wars, what grievances were listed in the Declaration of Independence, or questions on what rights exactly are promised in the Bill of Rights.

Its kind of disturbing that the test-writers place more value on knowing when each president served and what other things the presidents had accomplished than what exactly is promised in the Bill of Rights or what issues led to the Civil War.
Yes, I was surprised at these questions after reading all the press about how the new questions would require some "thought".

The citizenship test is a joke. Just my opinion as I have taken it, and guided my mother and father through it with their not-so-hot English. TGuy will also be going through the process in about 2 years. IMHO, they should just sit you down, speak to you in English and see if you can converse back. OK, ok, I realize that is a terrible idea (and pretty darn subjective). But it blows my mind that you can still opt to take the citizenship test in SPANISH if you are over 50 and have been here 20 years. Huh? They''re rewarding you for not bothering to learn English in the 20 years that you were here? My parents were here for 25 years when they took the test and were both over 50, and I don''t believe there was an option to take it in Korean.
20.gif

OK, off my hot seat now.
29.gif

And Deco, you''re right...I''d probably fail that test...
41.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Cara, there''s a link to an article at the end of the test that says changes are coming in a year.
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I missed 2! Who was president during WW1 and What year was the Constitution written. What a shame for my 5th grade history teacher!!
7.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I realize this test is a bit of a joke, but, did other USians have to take a Constitution test to get out of High School? We had to know the entire preamble (including punctuation), overview of each article, and know the Bill of Rights. We also had to know who and where a lot of it took place. (Although, I obviously didn''t learn it enough to stick!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
96%. I forgot the # of Amendments we had.
38.gif
Terrible!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I got 100% (but I have a ph.d. in US history - I''d have been pretty worried if I hadn''t gotten them all right)

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I missed 6 for a 76%. I''ve never been good at history.
14.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 4:20:25 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I realize this test is a bit of a joke, but, did other USians have to take a Constitution test to get out of High School? We had to know the entire preamble (including punctuation), overview of each article, and know the Bill of Rights. We also had to know who and where a lot of it took place. (Although, I obviously didn''t learn it enough to stick!)
yep we did actually its the same test as talked about in the article.
pass/fail 60% or better.
Still a requirement today, didn''t have to pass the class but had to pass the test.
I had a lot of fun in that class because the teacher was a flaming liberal and tried too slant everything and I didn''t let him get by with it.

The disagreement on the 2nd amendment went on for 3 days.
Day 1: Teacher: 2nd amendment is a state right to have a armed national guard, me: no it isn''t its an individual right just like the rest of them.
Then on the mid-term he didn''t have a right answer on the multiple choice question on the 2nd so he ended up not counting the question too shut me up.

I got an B in the class and a note saying I was the biggest pain in the butt he ever had to teach.
Was a lot of fun!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not even going to post how poorly I did! It''s probably low enough to warrant deportation! (hopefully where ever I''m sent to has an easier naturalization test!
2.gif
)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I see constitution I think 1776.
That''s just the year our country was born? Oh wait, Declaration of Independence, right?

Stardust

Rough_Rock
I''d likely do poorly...just as poorly as DH is doing answering the British citizenship questions while I''m flying through them. I''m studying for my British citizenship test right now - wish me luck
1.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2007 2:47:03 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007
I got a 76%
15.gif

(runs off to study U.S. history)
I got 76% too and I''m Canadian. Does that mean I can apply for dual citizenship???
9.gif

cara

Ideal_Rock
Right, declare independence in 1776, operate under the Articles of Confederation for some number of years, then the (more Federalist) Constitution was written in 1787 to fix problems of governance under the Articles.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2007 2:54:58 PM
Author: strmrdr
had a brain fart on how many years a senator is elected for.
HI:

Me too; actually I had no idea.....got the last one wrong too about Supreme court...but not bad for an ally.......
9.gif
, eh?

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
92%, but I would have had to guess on a couple that were mentioned on this thread such as the year the Constitution was written.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did very poorly
32.gif
but I also graduated from high school almost 30 years ago, heck I am lucky I remember what I have for breakfast
20.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
92% also...I was ticked because I was reasoning to myself over the year the Constitution was written, knowing that 1776 was the year we became a country and thinking that it took some time after that to get the Constitution together (although it was written in a very short time from what I recall)..but I ended up picking 1776 anyway, argh. The other one I got wrong was how long a state rep''s term is. Oh, and I had to guess on the ones regarding which pres was in office during WW1 and which war Eisenhower was in. Sheesh. I always liked history, but I liked the actual stories better than memorizing dates and names.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results