shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you make a deal with/sell your soul to the Devil

Would you sell your soul to the Devil?

• 1. Yes, if I could save someone I love or do something equally as important

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 2. No, under no circumstances would I ever consider doing this.

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 3. It truly depends and I cannot say one way or another until face with those circumstances.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • 4. Fill in the blank

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For any reason?

To save a loved one.
To get something you really really want.
To get something you desperately need.
To...fill in the blank...

calvinandhobbessellsoultodevil.jpg

Of course this question is not a literal one but a figurative one and it could mean whatever you want it to mean re "selling one's soul". Leaving it open to your interpretation.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some interesting reading material FYI.

"

Seven Stories That Will Make You Think Twice About Selling Your Soul to the Devil

SEVEN STORIES THAT WILL MAKE YOU THINK TWICE ABOUT SELLING YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL
Posted on October 3, 2016 by J. Lincoln Fenn
Seven Stories That Will Make You Think Twice About Selling Your Soul to the Devil
Seems like an obvious deal to pass on, right? Oh sweet summer child, this is humanity we’re talking about. There’s a reason why the devil and his fiendish temptations have been a story staple since Eve bit the proverbial apple in the Garden of Eden, and every generation since has been fascinated with the “Deal with the Devil” trope. It takes center stage in Christopher Marlowe’s Elizabethan play Doctor Faustus, inspires short stories such as “The Devil and Daniel Webster” and “That Hell-Bound Train,” and hits the big screen in films including The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Rosemary’s Baby, and Angel Heart. Some stories end well and others…not so much.

1) That Hell-Bound Train
An award-winning short story by Robert Bloch, it’s haunted me ever since I first read it decades ago, which is why I give it a hat tip in Dead Souls. If you sold your soul to the devil for a pocket watch that could stop time at your happiest moment, seems like a good deal. You get to be happy forever and the devil can never collect because you’ll be immortal to boot. One question, though—when do you stop time? The day you get married? But then you’ll never be able to have kids. When your first child is born? But then you don’t get the pleasure of watching him/her grow up. Not so easy, is it?

2) Rosemary’s Baby
Boy, does Rosemary get a raw deal in this chilling tale that was a hit in both novel and film form. Let’s start with the fact that if you’ve ever been pregnant, you’ve had that dream—the one where you discover your newborn is a lizard or some other monstrous creature. That horror is ramped up past a gazillion when Rosemary discovers that her true baby daddy is none other than Mr. Beelzebub himself. Apparently her husband traded her firstborn’s soul so they could be rich and stuff. Did he bother to ask her? ’Course not.

3) The Picture of Dorian Gray
This wonderfully creepy novel created an uproar by pushing the boundaries of what was considered morally decent in the late 1800s (and must pale in comparison to that other novel about a man named Gray). While Dorian is getting his portrait painted, he’s struck by the thought that he will age, and die, while his figure in the painting will stay young forever. Wouldn’t it be cool if it were the other way around? Well, there’s only one fallen angel who can make that happen, and once Dorian offers up his soul, presto-change-o, he’s free to pursue hedonistic pleasures for all eternity. Meanwhile, his figure in the portrait ages horrifically. Does it end well? Read it and see.

4) The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus
Spectators were reportedly driven mad watching this play about Doctor Faustus, who, like Icarus, suffers more than a bit of hubris and meets a similarly tragic end. Faustus is eager to trade his soul for scientific knowledge, which he does despite the warnings of angels, divine intervention, demons, heck…everyone. And it’s all for naught because Mephistopheles, the demon who’s supposed to deliver said vast scientific knowledge, only offers impossible-to-decipher wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff instead. Gotcha!

5) Angel Heart
A film adaptation of the novel Falling Angel, it didn’t fare too well when it was first released in theaters, but stellar performances by Mickey Rourke and Robert De Niro, the gothic New Orleans location, and twisty plot make it one of my personal faves. Rourke plays Harry Angel, a private investigator hired by one Louis Cyphre to track down a missing singer who owes Cyphre…something. While the names are over-the-top obvious, the ending isn’t. Worth a watch.

6) The Devil and Daniel Webster
If you’ve ever been to New Hampshire and seen the “Live Free or Die” license plates, you’ll wonder why the devil even bothered to set foot there. But he did in this story, offering a down-on-his-luck farmer seven years of prosperity in exchange for his soul. Seven years later, the devil returns to collect, only now the farmer has retained the services of an ingenious Yankee attorney, Daniel Webster. It’s one of the few stories where the devil meets his match.

7) The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Terry Gillam directs this visual spectacle that centers on Doctor Parnassus, the leader of a theater troupe who suffers from serious gambling issues. He won a bet with the devil for immortality (yay!), then decided to refinance for youth by offering his firstborn child’s soul as the payment (boo!). While Parnassus won’t win any father-of-the-year awards, Gillam uses him, and his exploits, to dig into the darker side of human nature, creating a trippy blend of fantasy, horror, and philosophy.

"

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me, unless World Peace can truly last forever, and that is not going to happen!

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me, unless World Peace can truly last forever, and that is not going to happen!

DK :))

Oh but it could...that is the beauty of this question. If by selling your soul to the devil you could make world peace last forever I guess you would do it? Very selfless indeed @dk168 ! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh but it could...that is the beauty of this question. If by selling your soul to the devil you could make world peace last forever I guess you would do it? Very selfless indeed @dk168 ! :appl:

If only, yes, I would. However, I am 100% it won't last, so my soul is safe!

DK :lol-2:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the devil do with my soul? What does it involve?

Make me eat tinned fish for an eternity? Bad but doable (only to save lives not for money).

Take me away with him? The boys wouldn't stand for it so I wouldn't make such a deal.

It really depends on what he wants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the devil do with my soul? What does it involve?

Make me eat tinned fish for an eternity? Bad but doable (only to save lives not for money).

Take me away with him? The boys wouldn't stand for it so I wouldn't make such a deal.

It really depends on what he wants.

I wrote it’s open to your interpretation but suffice to say it can’t be good or easy or it wouldn’t be an ethical dilemma and conundrum.

Let’s say it involves giving up your future freedom.

However you can have your life with your boys but must do evil to pay him back. Lol I’m just making it up as I go.

:/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wrote it’s open to your interpretation but suffice to say it can’t be good or easy or it wouldn’t be an ethical dilemma and conundrum.

Let’s say it involves giving up your future freedom.

However you can have your life with your boys but must do evil to pay him back. Lol I’m just making it up as I go.

:/

Ooh see it then depends on what kind of evil!

Kill.... Who? There are people who I'd happily take out if given super powers.

But if you say it's got to be a conundrum then presumably he'd make me take out good people so no.

Become a puppy farmer... Hell no.

Most likely it will be a no since I've always told the boys I would not kill a puppy to save them and I'm assuming it's going to be that kind of a dilemma.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh see it then depends on what kind of evil!

Kill.... Who? There are people who I'd happily take out if given super powers.

But if you say it's got to be a conundrum then presumably he'd make me take out good people so no.

Become a puppy farmer... Hell no.

Most likely it will be a no since I've always told the boys I would not kill a puppy to save them and I'm assuming it's going to be that kind of a dilemma.

I am with you. I would never harm an animal. Off limits.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not after reading "The Life Of Death" :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my son's and granddaughter, YES, no doubt.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, never!
Don't you remember what happened to Dorian Gray? :lol:

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
But then if it was Netflix's Lucifer, all he ever seems to really want is a favour repaid. I suppose it depends on what you truly desire :).

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I would do anything to save my daughter. So yes!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer the question, no deal with the devil for me.

I’m expecting there will be at least one “there is no devil, there is no heaven or any of this other imaginary stuff” comment. I wonder if people who don’t believe in any of that believe in humans having a soul? How about animals? This is not meant to be inflammatory but a genuine question.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly can’t say one way or the other. It would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if people who don’t believe in any of that believe in humans having a soul? How about animals?

Law of Thermodynamics -- energy is neither created nor destroyed, it changes from one form to another. Some would say that energy constitutes a soul. I don't because the concept of a soul resides in religious belief and I reject all religions. To say more might violate the rule against religious discussion.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "devil" is also made up and agreed with.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the explanation @Matata :wavey:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I take it as an expression not literally.... everyone has their own beliefs.

I have very strong morals, but my love for my child is stronger & so yes I would do anything I could to help her.

My Great Aunt didn’t believe in God at all.... but she was praying on her death bed. Just covering her bases just in case

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect you meant this more figuratively — would you “sell out,” do something you find identity-shakingly wrong, etc. to save someone you love/something similar?

I’d like to say no, but honestly it depends on the circumstances and situation. It’s easy to judge others when you haven’t walked in their shoes. I’ve found that most people who make “bad” decisions are actually making the best decision they have available to them for the good/stability of their family. That’s a motivation I can connect with; I just haven’t been placed in a situation that required me to be destructive to keep my children safe. I suspect if I were placed in that situation I’d be quick to sign on the dotted line.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way !

I try not to beleave in the devil but Pope Francis does and i very much admire the holy father

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect you meant this more figuratively — would you “sell out,” do something you find identity-shakingly wrong, etc. to save someone you love/something similar?

I’d like to say no, but honestly it depends on the circumstances and situation. It’s easy to judge others when you haven’t walked in their shoes. I’ve found that most people who make “bad” decisions are actually making the best decision they have available to them for the good/stability of their family. That’s a motivation I can connect with; I just haven’t been placed in a situation that required me to be destructive to keep my children safe. I suspect if I were placed in that situation I’d be quick to sign on the dotted line.

Yes exactly what I meant. And I completely agree about walking in one's shoes before daring to judge. When I was younger I didn't fully grasp this concept but as time went on I got it and realized how true this is.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Law of Thermodynamics -- energy is neither created nor destroyed, it changes from one form to another. Some would say that energy constitutes a soul. I don't because the concept of a soul resides in religious belief and I reject all religions. To say more might violate the rule against religious discussion.

I belive animals are just as valuable as people and that if people have souls then so do animals. I am not religious but I do believe in souls however one defines it. I won't expand further out of respect for the rules.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it as an expression not literally.... everyone has their own beliefs.

I have very strong morals, but my love for my child is stronger & so yes I would do anything I could to help her.

My Great Aunt didn’t believe in God at all.... but she was praying on her death bed. Just covering her bases just in case

Haha love that. Yes I get it too. Isn't that where being agnostic comes into play? Covering one's bases just in case. :wink2:

I would do anything to save my daughter. So yes!

I hear you and agree.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To answer the question, no deal with the devil for me.

I’m expecting there will be at least one “there is no devil, there is no heaven or any of this other imaginary stuff” comment. I wonder if people who don’t believe in any of that believe in humans having a soul? How about animals? This is not meant to be inflammatory but a genuine question.

I believe both animals and humans have souls but I won't go into this further out of respect for the PS rules. I don't believe in a literal devil. I do believe in good and evil however.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly can’t say one way or the other. It would depend on the circumstances at the time.

Yes I think one can only guess what one would do and only until we are in a circumstance that requires this decision would we know for sure what we would do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results