shape
carat
color
clarity

would you let a friend borrow your jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on what I get to borrow in return.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 2:54:08 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Depends on what I got to borrow in return.
Hah! Nice!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes.

But only to my close circle of friends and not acquaintances.

I have let them borrow my earrings, vintage watches, necklaces, etc. I promised the daughter of my best friend that my studs are to be her "something borrowed" when she gets married.

I actually enjoy seeing my jewelry on other people. But maybe because I am just odd that way :)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There could be a certain occasion, or person in which I would do it. But in general no. From past experience it seems most people don''t treat or take of things that they don''t own as well as their own things. Personally I think I would take better care of someone''s stuff because I would be paranoid of something happening to it, but not everyone is like that
8.gif
. And I wouldn''t want a ruin a relationship for something stupid like that.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I think if I had anything worth borrowing, for my close friends I would without a second thought.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably for a wedding as a something borrowed, and it was a close friend, most likely. I don''t have anything insured except for my e-ring, so if it was something worth insuring and it covered someone else losing it, I would definitely do it.

For small stuff, I have absolutely no problem with it!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My dad gave me a ring that was the initial M (for my first and last name) with an angel around it. It was a beautiful ring. He had it made by a jeweler in NY that was a friend of his.

A friend of mine wanted to borrow it because her name also started with an M. I can''t remember why she wanted to borrow it. Anyway, she lost it. In the middle of whatever it was that she was doing, she took the ring off and forgot to put it back on. I was devastated. It was really the only jewelry that my father had ever given me before he passed away and I''ll never see it again.

So my answer is no. But I''ll be more than happy to go jewelry shopping with any of my friends any time they''d like
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Hell no. Maybe my costume jewelry, but not the good stuff! Call me stingy or selfish... Whatever! My good stuff (which consists of just a few pieces) was too expensive and holds great sentimental value (my husband chooses my gifts very carefully, which is so cute) and I would be crushed if something got lost or broken. FYI- My friends wouldn''t ask because they don''t really go fancy places.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 5:09:56 PM
Author: fieryred33143
My dad gave me a ring that was the initial M (for my first and last name) with an angel around it. It was a beautiful ring. He had it made by a jeweler in NY that was a friend of his.

A friend of mine wanted to borrow it because her name also started with an M. I can''t remember why she wanted to borrow it. Anyway, she lost it. In the middle of whatever it was that she was doing, she took the ring off and forgot to put it back on. I was devastated. It was really the only jewelry that my father had ever given me before he passed away and I''ll never see it again.

So my answer is no. But I''ll be more than happy to go jewelry shopping with any of my friends any time they''d like
9.gif
I''m sorry.

I would never lend anyone any of my gem pieces because they require babying.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I don''t loan out things that have a lot of value--monetary or sentimental. I''ll loan out less expensive pieces that don''t have much sentimental value, but only to close friends I trust will take care of them. When I was in a sorority, we would loan out and borrow costume jewelry from one another all the time. Things would get lost occasionally, but no one really minded losing a $10 pair of earrings.

I do borrow my mom''s good jewelry on occasion. Sometimes her hands swell too much to wear her rings, so she''ll have me wear them if we''re traveling (better than leaving them in the hotel!). It was such a huge thrill for me when I was younger to wear her beautiful diamonds!

E B

Ideal_Rock
I would, but it would depend on two things:

a) How close am I to this person?
b) Will I be with them at the event they''re wearing the item to?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/8/2008 9:37:43 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Never. I would let them borrow my significant other before I would let them borrow my jewelry.
Not my real jewellery for sure. My daughter borrowed a necklace and earrings a long time ago (good fakes). To tell the truth, no one has ever asked except DD.

The good jewellery would not be loaned out to anyone for any occasion!
9.gif

AAAAHHHHHHAAAAA! Madam B has a SO!!! Do share, please.
36.gif
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It really depends. I have three best best friends whom I would trust with my life and kids. If they needed something, I would. They would ONLY borrow if they could replace it (i.e. not heirloom) and they would be very careful. I have some very expensive pieces and would not want them to stress out, so mostly I would think it is something best avoided.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
For me, it is also which friend and which piece of jewelry..

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have - but only to certain people.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nope, never. I get very sentimental about jewelry - when it was given, by whom, under what circumstances - and I know that I''d hold it against even the dearest of friends if something were to happen to a loaned piece on their watch. Why risk tainting a friendship? On the other hand, equally pricey things without the sentimental import, from designer goods to my car? Sure, in a heartbeat!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
of course...but only to dear friends, and my sister, oh...and my Mom (like she needs any)

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
No one has ever asked me, but the only person I would let borrow any jewelry is my daughter. She is responsible and I know she would take care of it the way I would. Never to a friend or my sister, whom I love but would not trust to take care of anything I own.

I have, however, given one of my diamond rings to each of my sister, my sister-in-law, and my mother. I owned rings that I thought were more their styles, and gave them away. I''d rather do that, than lend and possibly regret it if the item is lost or damaged.

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think so. I would probably loan a smaller piece to my sister if she asked though.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
A close friend of me loaned me a sapphire and diamond circle pendant for a year or so because she was living with her parents and didn''t want them to know that she was spending $ on jewelry :) So I have been a borrower.

I''ve let friends borrow my jewelry before, but for events where we were going to the same thing and I knew it would be returned to me at the end of the evening. I''m not sure I''d feel comfortable with an extended loan or if it was going to leave my sight.

Does this question remind anyone of the french short story, The Necklace?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It would all depend on the person and if I was there to watch over them. Medium priced...yeah. Cherised pieces...no. Not worth the risk...especially with my daughter who loses everything piece of jewelry I ever bought her.
7.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the piece of jewelry and who wants to borrow it.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
It depends which of my jewelry.

One of my friends last year wanted to borrow some to take to the WEF in Davos and I felt uneasy about that as it is very far away. Fortunately in the end she didn''t take anything. I think I would have worried the whole time as she is somewhat absentminded.

I would consider it with some simple pieces and a pre arranged agreement on when I would get them returned to me. Plus I would be pretty blunt about replacement - basically saying, well this item is worth X dollars so if you lose it, you''ll have to pay me that. Might keep them more attentive to the piece.
11.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have lent out jewelry once in 30 years...onxy and diamond cuff links that were my fathers.But that was to one of my best friends...and we both worried about them being lost or chipped...very few of my friends wear jewelry,so they dont ask...however I have gifted my friends and ex girl friends with watchs and jewelry from my jewelry box.If i give it to them then its theirs and they can enjoy it all they want.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, Isaku! My FWB and I have been on again/off again since the early 1970''S.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2008 6:30:42 AM
Hi, Isaku! My FWB and I have been on again/off again since the early 1970''S.
FWB...uhm...Favourite White Boy?? No?...uhm...Frilly White Bathmat??? No? uhm...Fuzzy Wrinkled Bra??

I could go on, but I''m already threadjacking...Sorry.
38.gif

Anyone or anything that''s been off and on for over 30 years deserves a well-earned rest.
36.gif
35.gif

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
I would if it was a close friend and the jewelry piece is under $1000

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again,Isaku! FWB = friend with benefits
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:19:22 AM
2.gif
FWB! I love it Madam!

To answer the question - no, I''ve never been asked and no I never would for an expensive/sentimental piece..
Costume/fashion jewellery - borrow away!

I feel it is just not worth the stress, and I am quite "thingy" about my things..
Also, I really doubt insurance would cover a loss in that situation.

I applaud you women who say yes, you are lot more easy going then I !

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2008 7:19:22 AM
2.gif
You''ve got to love benefits, and the only thing better than that is that there''s a friend too.
30.gif
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results