shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you chop up an antique piece?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I just bought a beautiful antique natural pearl necklace, and I’m thinking of harvesting the best looking pearls for a shorter strand. It also has a bit of a vintage namebrand, so obviously I wouldn’t be preserving that either if I take apart this piece.

What would you do? Have you ever thought of the same for a vintage or antique piece?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Natural pearl necklaces can be valuable. If you have a gemological lab certificate showing it's actually natural (sellers sometimes say "natural" when they mean "not imitation"), then the value of the necklace will be lowered it is broken up.

However, Mrsz1ppy is right that people have restrung natural pearl necklaces into different configurations for ages. So my vote is: do whatever makes you happy.

ETA: I just saw your pix on your other thread. The necklace is very pretty and having a GIA certificate is great.
Pearls are for enjoying, and if you will enjoy them more by doing something new with them, go for it!

Last edited:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, @pearlsngems and @Mrsz1ppy! I am leaning in that direction - to deconstruct and enjoy fully. It hurts a bit, but also - I'm not buying this for resale or investment. Its just for me. And morality-wise - I surely do/will treasure these pearls in a different format, maybe even moreso that someone buying the entire original for provenance.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally okay with chopping up an antique piece, a new piece, any piece at all -- recycling, updating, incorporating, refurbishing, making old treasures into new treasures, converting damaged and/or unwearable into undamaged and/or wearable -- it's all good in my book -- but yes, be sure you educate yourself and clearly understand the value and provenance of what you may be deconstructing beforehand!

Willow66

Rough_Rock
Trade
I just bought a beautiful antique natural pearl necklace, and I’m thinking of harvesting the best looking pearls for a shorter strand. It also has a bit of a vintage namebrand bitlife, so obviously I wouldn’t be preserving that either if I take apart this piece.

What would you do? Have you ever thought of the same for a vintage or antique piece?

If it were me, I would sell it

The only thing that gives me pause is that your strand is a name-brand, so it loses some value in pulling it apart. Other than that - I am a big believer in repurposing jewelry into something you'll actually wear!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So I just got the piece - I cannot chop it up. It has an ethereal presence. The vast majority are truly incredible, with a few ultra gorgeous pearls (esp some of the tiny ones in the back) and a few meh pearls mixed in between. I thought I’d like to ditch the mediocre pearls. But truly, it’s a sight to see all together - the mediocre pearls play their own role. In a modern pearl necklace, the pearls are usually matched by grade (luster), color, and overtone which is roughly what I’d hoped to accomplish as well. These are matched by color, but not so much grade and overtone. The result is that there are pearls with blue overtones, pinks, goldens, and the few mediocre pearls work with the high luster pearls to create a bit of a high/low pattern. If I ever do chop this up, I think I’ll keep all the pearls, but move them into a double strand formation in the front with a chain leading back to a clasp - many of the super nice ones are towards the back, and I’d love to be able to see them easily.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
So I just got the piece - I cannot chop it up. It has an ethereal presence. The vast majority are truly incredible, with a few ultra gorgeous pearls (esp some of the tiny ones in the back) and a few meh pearls mixed in between. I thought I’d like to ditch the mediocre pearls. But truly, it’s a sight to see all together - the mediocre pearls play their own role. In a modern pearl necklace, the pearls are usually matched by grade (luster), color, and overtone which is roughly what I’d hoped to accomplish as well. These are matched by color, but not so much grade and overtone. The result is that there are pearls with blue overtones, pinks, goldens, and the few mediocre pearls work with the high luster pearls to create a bit of a high/low pattern. If I ever do chop this up, I think I’ll keep all the pearls, but move them into a double strand formation in the front with a chain leading back to a clasp - many of the super nice ones are towards the back, and I’d love to be able to see them easily.

It sounds like a one of a kind piece that spoke to you. A treasure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results