shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a diamond w/o an idealscope pic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If you were interested in a diamond but the vendor said he didn''t own an idealscope and didn''t think they meant very much would you still proceed (if it looked good in pictures) and have it sent to an appraiser? Also, would a 5 day return policy be enough to have a diamond appraised and sent back?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the diamond certified? You can get a pretty good idea about the diamond from the certificate. And yes, I''d buy a diamond without an Idealscope picture. I would not buy one without a certification (made that mistake before).

Is the diamond local? Five days does not seem long enough to me. I''d talk to an appraiser about his/her schedule before making the commitment to buy the stone. Most of the online vendors give 3-4 weeks for returns.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It has a GIA cert which makes me feel a little better about it, but it is not local so I am worried about having time to getting it appraised. I suppose I should ask an appraiser if this is possible. I guess idealscope pictures help give me warm fuzzies but I am trying to figure out how actually iportant it is. It is an asscher cut (Sq Emerald).

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t, not if it''s not local. I might if it was local and I could see it for myself.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideal-scopes are not expensive... last time I checked, the fancy set was $100 and the thing itself $20 or so.

It is allot easier to handle the things than take professional pictures. And there may be other considerations why sellers find the little tools impractical.

My 2c
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's see if Strm sees this post, he knows a lot about Asschers and will know if Idealscope images have much value with an Asscher shape. The thing that concerns me is only a 5 day return policy and I would be hesitant to buy from a vendor with so short a return window. I would also be worried that timeframe wouldn't be nearly enough to get the diamond appraised - appraisers can work on tight schedules, get sick and mailing a package can get held up etc. There are a lot of vendors out there with good return policies so you can avoid this type of worry IMO.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
If I trusted the vendor''s judgement, yes. But, if it''s not local, how well do you know this vendor? If you don''t know him very well, 5 days is an awfully short period of time to get the stone to an appraiser and back.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hest makes a good point, if you trust the jeweler or if it''s someone you have worked with before, and it looked good on paper and the jeweler or vendor thought it was a knockout, I''d trust that enough to see the stone. BUT I''d try to get the return period more to 10 days or similar....it''s pretty stressful to have to worry about figuring out of the stone is the one for you, getting it appraised and returned within 5 working days.

Anyway, for me personally, I would probably try to find a vendor with a bit longer return policy and more information (aka real stone image AND IS) on something like an asscher or sq emerald, those are tricky stones and numbers don''t tell the whole story even more so with these than with rounds. Good luck!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I would and have purchased without any analysis ... and it's a fab stone!
Would I purchase if a vendor said the ideal scope means "nothing"? Hmmmm. It does mean something...it is a helpful tool imo...
So I guess the answer is..do you love the stone? Is it a right price? Do you trust him? Does he have good policies?

edited...I see it's 5 day return. Not long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results