shape
carat
color
clarity

would you be in favor of the popular vote system?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i might not vote since Ca have already been decided.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That''s a toughy actually. Given the problems we''ve had in the last 2 presidential elections....wow.

I''m like you DancingFire, I live in a state where my vote falls into a hole and means exactly squat. Oklahoma hasn''t elected a democrat to anything in pretty much forever. Except for governor. Even though we are supposed to be mostly democrats here. But the democrats here are DIXIEcrats and that''s different thing entirely. A democrat here would probably be a republican anywhere else.

I''ve considered it alot though, and I''m still not sure on that question. The logistics are pretty daunting, even in this day and age.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Well I live in Texas now so I know that even if I didn''t vote for McCain that he would win my state anyway. So sometimes I wish I lived in a blue state so I could feel like my vote mattered a little bit. But then again, it still wouldn''t. So how about a swing state? DH and I actually ARE trying to move to the NH area within the next couple of years.
9.gif

I do think the popular vote system is a more accurate representation of American voters.
28.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we need to re examine the system. The system might have worked way back when, but it seems antiquated and not really fair at this point. Yes, some states have far fewer voters, but that you can win the popular vote and lose the election still does not really make sense to me.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I''m torn between a popular vote, which seems ripe for fraud and a nightmare to audit unless there was a foolproof system, and the electoral college. I just don''t believe in the winner takes all. The electoral votes should be allocated as an accurate representation of the votes of the people. Not winner takes all.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I would never be in favor of doing away with the Electoral College vote. I live in a large city, but I come from exreme rural America. The people where I live are completely out of touch with the issues facing smaller rural America and vice versa. The Electoral College gives all groups a voice. Otherwise we would have NY city, Los Angeles, and San Francisco basically deciding everything for everybody.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:15:12 PM
Author: LAJennifer
I would never be in favor of doing away with the Electoral College vote. I live in a large city, but I come from exreme rural America. The people where I live are completely out of touch with the issues facing smaller rural America and vice versa. The Electoral College gives all groups a voice. Otherwise we would have NY city, Los Angeles, and San Francisco basically deciding everything for everybody.
Very good point.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe.....

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Nope. It was designed this way on reason, and serves a valuable purpose. And I won''t elaborate; if you need a civics lesson, I''m sure you can find one via the internet.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 12:09:43 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think we need to re examine the system. The system might have worked way back when, but it seems antiquated and not really fair at this point. Yes, some states have far fewer voters, but that you can win the popular vote and lose the election still does not really make sense to me.

Agreed. The system seriously needs to be overhauled.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/6/2008 6:18:37 PM
Author: trillionaire
What about something like this?
That is an interesting concept, trillionaire. I doubt it would work here though; a lot of people are confused as it is with the Electoral College & some people can''t even punch out ONE hole correctly, let alone 3!
3.gif
I wouldn''t ever do completely away with some sort of Electoral College-esque system, it would leave a lot of room open to fraud (as miraclesrule said) & many regions in the nation with lower populations would suffer from vote dilution (as LAJennifer said). Was Bush v. Gore the only time when a candidate (disputedly) won the popular vote but lost the election? I don''t recall & I suppose I might need a history lesson there. If it is the only time, I wouldn''t change the system if once in 200+ years the outcome has turned out like that...2000 was such a fluke with so many crazy elements I don''t it''ll happen again in our lifetime. If it becomes a repeated pattern I *might* look into some changes, but it would require amendments to the Constitution
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results