shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you ask about someone's diamond specs in real life?

• Yes

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 47.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 32 46.4%

• Total voters

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock

I most certainly would not. I feel like it's such a personal and private question, yet since we are all enthusiasts here it seems acceptable to ask.

When I knew nothing about diamonds, I was asking friends opinions on various specs and some volunteered their specs.

Some people have asked me in real life my ER specs and I was fine sharing them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless I was with other PSers or diamond enthusiasts, I would not. But I have been asked IRL and I don't like to discuss if they are just trying to do the nose rude thing. I know depending on who is asking.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I was going to vote no....but I remembered that back when my friends were getting engaged in our late 20’s and smart phones were not the norm, we called each other to share the news, and we would ask each other for the “Detes” of the proposal and the ring.

Nowadays, people would sometimes ask me how many carats I’m wearing etc, but not full specs like color, clarity or cut parameters, only on PS!

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
If a friend told me they just got engaged, I would totally ask to see ring pics, but I wouldn't dare ask the specs! I can usually tell without asking anyway!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends.

Not at first.
But if a polite and respectfully expressed compliment, from some also wearing a nice diamond, was met with an open discussion by another diamond geek ... sure.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would, but only in a situation where it had been pre-established that she/he and I shared a passion for stones and enjoyed discussing same ... still, I wouldn't talk specs or ask questions in front of other people; I'd save it for a one-on-one conversation.

Generally speaking, though, no, I wouldn't.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe, depends on who it is.
I certainly wouldn’t ask a random stranger or work colleague about their diamond. More often I am asked for an opinion by those who know it’s my interest.
After the CZ fiasco I am always very very tactful.
I do not “guess” how much someone paid or offer an opinion, after the fact, on price or quality. I always say it’s beautiful.
However if it’s an antique ring I’ll ask, moreso to find out if it’s a family heirloom passed down and any history it might have. These things interest me more than carat weight, clarity and colour. I will certainly offer my opinion, ie dont, if it’s a stunning antique setting that they wonder if they should melt down for the gold to make something modern!
Sell the old antique setting if it isn’t to your taste because it could be another’s treasure.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Some friends & work colleagues - no

Family & some of my best friends with the same love of jewellery - yes

It would be considered quite a rude question to ask in my social circle, so I would never ask! Tbh even asking someone to show their ring is considered kinda gauche unless they’re a close friend. Normally you’d just say “congratulations” and then the person can show their ring if they want to. Way more acceptable to ask about the proposal deets though :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, at least you're not asking her whether THOSE are real. :naughty:

I did ! :praise: one time a lady walk by our table as we were having dinner in a restaurant she pointed at my wife's ring and asked " is that diamond real?" then I pointed at her boobs and ask her "are those real? :praise: she then just turn and walk away since I knew they were fakes...:lol:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was mortified once, when I asked a close friend (was in her wedding after the faux pas) about the ring on the phone. She was on a different continent and called to tell me he proposed. I asked about the ring and only wanted to know what the ring looked like (form of the diamond).
Because I love jewelry.

She seems to have thought I wanted specs and gave me some polite & very elusive answer (along the lines of "it's a stone on a band") . I understood later that she'd been asked for specs a few times and was pretty annoyed at people for that. She's a very private person and her husband very wealthy.
Taught me a lesson to be even more careful. ER s are such an emotional piece for most.

I agreed that asking for the Gia specs would be considered very very rude in any circumstances in my social circle.

If your bestie wants to share or has had PS-kind of convos prior to buying thats the only imaginable scenario when that sort of discussion would pop up.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally depends.

PS friend? Yup.
Non PS friend? Nope.

Unless that non PS friend also shares a passion for diamonds and then we probably would have been chatting about specs before she got her ring.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
In real life? No. I would not feel comfortable doing that. I have had so many rude remarks aimed at my er rings (am on 2nd marriage) . I must know a lot of rude people I think...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definatly say the ring is beautiful to a newly engaged person
but only if they were a PSer would i even think about adding
...id just look up their thread if i really wanted to know with regard to weight but i might ask them about the cut and if it was a family heirloom i would ask about its history

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only if the other person is a jewellery enthusiast and knows what is meant by the 4Cs etc...

DK :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know anyone IRL who has any knowledge about diamonds, so no. I would be happy to talk to someone if they asked about my jewelry as long as it was more than “and what did you pay for that?”

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve known my friend since the 6 th grade and we have on and off friendship. Before we had a ring, she had no problem discussing her dream ring to me—shape and size was the extent of details that she knew about. Well. Years later, when she did get her ring, she she didn’t flaunt it and seemed to actually hide it. She made me feel uncomfortable asking for details. So I just said that it was lovely but I recall feeling disappointed given our past conversations. That memory still lingers. I think the lesson is that it’s rude to ask bc many still are gifted a ring and have nothing to do with the process—and how how would you question a gift?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. I know when my sister got engaged I did ask her. But I had also gone with her to look at settings and talked about diamonds with her. So I felt it was okay for me to ask since we discussed this and of course I wanted to know what he got her in the end.

If I ask someone about their ring it’s more or less to see it and congratulate them on their engagement. I might ask about size if it’s large but not the other specs.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Come to think if it, a few people also asked me how much my ring cost. I didn't mind if it was a polite friend with genuine curiosity, but it's definitely annoying when someone who is nosy asks. I think a lot of people who are unfamiliar with diamonds have sticker shock. DH and I had no idea either until we started ring shopping.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might ask someone if they seem receptive, or want to engage in conversation about jewelry.

In my neck of the woods, I have discovered that specs are not on the average person's radar.
Some women have absolutely no idea about their rings, and it truly baffles me!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
No.
If the person was recently engaged, I’d offer my congratulations. If I knew her well enough, I’d ask to see her ring.
And I’d tell her it’s beautiful, because, of course, to her and/her fiancé, it is. =)2

Edited to add that I don’t know any jewellery enthusiasts in real life.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come to think if it, a few people also asked me how much my ring cost. I didn't mind if it was a polite friend with genuine curiosity, but it's definitely annoying when someone who is nosy asks. I think a lot of people who are unfamiliar with diamonds have sticker shock. DH and I had no idea either until we started ring shopping.
One time a gal asked me the same Q. I replied as I was pointing to her car "it cost more than your car" :devil:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One time a gal asked me the same Q. I replied as I was pointing to her car "it cost more than your car" :devil:

MEOW! :lol-2:

I don't feel comfortable to discuss money/wealth related topics, let alone my bling obsession!

DK :))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't. It seems nosy and intrusive to me. I figure if they want me to know they'll tell me lol!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have and at a concert too lol. It was 5 carats and she let 3 of us try it on, lol.

Other than that, only if I can tell they are a diamond enthusiast and would want to talk about it. (Usually by talking about things first or if they ask me about my stuff and I get the feeling they know what they are talking about)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results