shape
carat
color
clarity

Would this sapphire be considered green or teal?

Sara S

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’m really hoping for some help. I’m planning on buying a sapphire internationally but I’m concerned by the difference between the video of the sapphire in “natural outdoor lighting” and “artificial indoors light at nighttime”. Outdoors the sapphire is a lovely light teal and indoors it looks to be olive green. I’m trying to get to the bottom of what colour it would be most of the time. Keen for any thoughts as I’m feeling somewhat overwhelmed!! I’ve attached both photos. Really appreciate any guidance. 6D6155A0-965C-4E5B-A2BF-F24DDAE1E8B8.png 6D6155A0-965C-4E5B-A2BF-F24DDAE1E8B8.png 24D5D2CF-73E8-41AC-B639-FC7D1F838DF2.png

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Olive green I think. The pretty colour indoors looks like it's had A LOT of help from favourable lighting.

I would wager that there's only 1-2 situations where you can achieve the more appealing colour.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s an olive green most of the time. Most sellers are using bright lights to showcase their gems. In reality, that sapphire will probably look darker / more muted in color. If you’re looking for a teal sapphire, I would pass on this one.

Sara S

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your replies. The seller was very confident it is a teal and that the olive green photo is “poor lighting” at night but also referred to it being dichroic. I would be happy if it was teal in natural well lit indoors but it sounds like you don’t think that would be the case. Hmmm.

Sara S

Rough_Rock
This is my teal. It is like this in most lights, can be a bit darker at times but still this shade.

The only exception is that it's green under Target lighting and only Target lighting.

20171217_122801.jpg

Ah interesting. Yours looks to be a lovely bluish teal. It’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps a sapphire needs to be more bluish to not end up a blah olive green?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah interesting. Yours looks to be a lovely bluish teal. It’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps a sapphire needs to be more bluish to not end up a blah olive green?

What shade are you looking for?

If you post examples I'm sure the others can help you find one! They are excellent at that sort of thing!

Sara S

Rough_Rock
What shade are you looking for?

If you post examples I'm sure the others can help you find one! They are excellent at that sort of thing!

Oh thank you so much. Honestly I’m driving my husband nuts about this..! Well I love the colour of the sapphire in the outdoors lighting. That’s the sort of colour I would like but after searching for a colour like that for some time (6 months +) I’m now wondering if it’s not possible to get a colour in that sapphire that remains bright and lively and doesn’t become a flat blah green colour.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are looking internationally for bright and lively outside - really beware if your outside isn’t environmentally similar to the vendors outside.
And - the more you are inside, well…….the more you will see the more olive green than blue.

Aside from the pretty green/blue teal-
What are your other wants parameters? Are you open for suggestions?

Sara S

Rough_Rock
Oh thank you so much. Honestly I’m driving my husband nuts about this..! Well I love the colour of the sapphire in the outdoors lighting. That’s the sort of colour I would like but after searching for a colour like that for some time (6 months +) I’m now wondering if it’s not possible to get a colour in that sapphire that remains bright and lively and doesn’t become a flat blah green colour.
If you are looking internationally for bright and lively outside - really beware if your outside isn’t environmentally similar to the vendors outside.
And - the more you are inside, well…….the more you will see the more olive green than blue.

Aside from the pretty green/blue teal-
What are your other wants parameters? Are you open for suggestions?

Thanks so much for your comment. Yes I am absolutely open to suggestions!! I love blue/green or light to medium blue. I was looking for something around the 3 carat mark preferably in an emerald or radiant cut.

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade

As a rule of thumb:

Lighter toned greens and teals will look pleasant indoors, but lighten outdoors. Sometimes, depending on the saturation, they can also grey out indoors.

Medium toned greens and teals will look amazing outdoors but shift to some degree indoors. The reason for this is mainly the lack of saturation/hue purity, but I mean that in terms comparative to other gem varieties rather than within the teal sapphire category itself. Vividly saturated medium-toned teal/green sapphires don't really exist in the same sense as a tourmaline or tsavorite, that degree of hue purity or saturation simply isn't possible regardless of how high quality a stone may be.

Medium to medium dark, medium-dark & anything darker than that will hold their saturation better, but black out much, much more easily in low light (indoors, etc.). It's unavoidable - darker tones feel more saturated, but there's always a cost in performance/versatility.

And almost all of them will look meh in incandescent.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your comment. Yes I am absolutely open to suggestions!! I love blue/green or light to medium blue. I was looking for something around the 3 carat mark preferably in an emerald or radiant cut.

Budget?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I see a brown toned green, kind of olive. Olive is a little brighter to me than this. If you want teal, I'd keep looking.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those first two pictures look just like my olive green saphire
I do like it
But teal would be nicer
I too say keep looking

Sara S

Rough_Rock
As a rule of thumb:

Lighter toned greens and teals will look pleasant indoors, but lighten outdoors. Sometimes, depending on the saturation, they can also grey out indoors.

Medium toned greens and teals will look amazing outdoors but shift to some degree indoors. The reason for this is mainly the lack of saturation/hue purity, but I mean that in terms comparative to other gem varieties rather than within the teal sapphire category itself. Vividly saturated medium-toned teal/green sapphires don't really exist in the same sense as a tourmaline or tsavorite, that degree of hue purity or saturation simply isn't possible regardless of how high quality a stone may be.

Medium to medium dark, medium-dark & anything darker than that will hold their saturation better, but black out much, much more easily in low light (indoors, etc.). It's unavoidable - darker tones feel more saturated, but there's always a cost in performance/versatility.

And almost all of them will look meh in incandescent.

Thanks so much. This is very informative.

Sara S

Rough_Rock
I see a brown toned green, kind of olive. Olive is a little brighter to me than this. If you want teal, I'd keep looking.

Thank you!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks pretty (as in quite) gray to my eye.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you any opportunity to go see teals, or Montana’s in person? Especially since you are looking for a sizeable stone? The shift is something considerable to wrap your thoughts around.
At a minimum - check out Gemfix. Not necessarily to buy a specific stone,
But look at his hand shot videos vs studio shots + his verbal description of what it shifts to (or not!) between natural light vs specific artificial lights.
grasping where you are ok with on a shift is invaluable, as it can go numerous ways. Finding something that doesn’t shift much, and from a desirable color, is where you are not likely to find a ‘deal’ on.
Are Parti sapphires on the table?

Sara S

Rough_Rock
Have you any opportunity to go see teals, or Montana’s in person? Especially since you are looking for a sizeable stone? The shift is something considerable to wrap your thoughts around.
At a minimum - check out Gemfix. Not necessarily to buy a specific stone,
But look at his hand shot videos vs studio shots + his verbal description of what it shifts to (or not!) between natural light vs specific artificial lights.
grasping where you are ok with on a shift is invaluable, as it can go numerous ways. Finding something that doesn’t shift much, and from a desirable color, is where you are not likely to find a ‘deal’ on.
Are Parti sapphires on the table?

Thank you so much. No I haven’t seen them in person and perhaps I need to to help get my head around the colour shifting. So informative! Thanks so much for taking the time. I’ll definitely check that out. Yes, I love parti sapphires.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
You could check out the IG vendor called Caleb b Quashen. He often has beautiful teal & parti sapphires. At quite reasonable prices. I have not purchased anything from him but he does have lovely items.

Edited to add: Prices are often posted in his stories!

[Once again, I am in no way affiliated with this vendor.]

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could check out the IG vendor called Caleb b Quashen. He often has beautiful teal & parti sapphires. At quite reasonable prices. I have not purchased anything from him but he does have lovely items.

Edited to add: Prices are often posted in his stories!

[Once again, I am in no way affiliated with this vendor.]

I purchased from him - once - a sapphire described as teal. In person it was very very green - no hint of blue at all. He charges a restocking fee and does not issue refunds, just credit. Just so you know.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased from him - once - a sapphire described as teal. In person it was very very green - no hint of blue at all. He charges a restocking fee and does not issue refunds, just credit. Just so you know.

Do you still have it?
Or pictures you can show of the listing vs what you see?
I’m sorry this was a disappointing one though.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock

Wow, that is unfortunate! Thanks so much for letting us know. Were his pictures & videos inaccurate?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you still have it?
Or pictures you can show of the listing vs what you see?
I’m sorry this was a disappointing one though.

No I returned it. It was more teal in the video - definitely a blueish hue to the green. In person it was more like a dark olive green - not teal at all to my eye. I didn't save any pics - I should have I guess, but I was just happy to be done with the ordeal. Live and learn!

Sara S

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I’m really hoping for some help. I’m planning on buying a sapphire internationally but I’m concerned by the difference between the video of the sapphire in “natural outdoor lighting” and “artificial indoors light at nighttime”. Outdoors the sapphire is a lovely light teal and indoors it looks to be olive green. I’m trying to get to the bottom of what colour it would be most of the time. Keen for any thoughts as I’m feeling somewhat overwhelmed!! I’ve attached both photos. Really appreciate any guidance. 6D6155A0-965C-4E5B-A2BF-F24DDAE1E8B8.png 6D6155A0-965C-4E5B-A2BF-F24DDAE1E8B8.png 24D5D2CF-73E8-41AC-B639-FC7D1F838DF2.png

Hi everyone! The seller has now sent me a video in better indoor lighting that looks like this. I’m now thinking that it’s a good purchase. He did say at the time that the photo where it is a dark green (above) was taken in very poor lighting and on an old phone. Thoughts?
5919B752-9E2B-4973-8033-FCE87AE993C8.png

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that even if it looks like the latest picture some or most of the time, it will sometimes still look like the worst photos, too. I think you could do better, but you might not mind it being dark green sometimes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results