shape
carat
color
clarity

Would the photo vs. real life discrepancies bother you?

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I was looking at the ring my boyfriend and I picked out from Whiteflash, and then went and looked at the online photos of the Fine Line setting and I noticed when comparing them that my ring's basket looks different than how it was pictured.

The ones on the left side are from the Whiteflash website and the ones on the right are the professional pics they sent me of my ring. Can you see the difference? And would it bother you? It seems as though the "donut" is smaller on the left and my "donut" is larger. Also, what is weird to me is that the photos online portrayed the prongs to start at the base of the ring closer together and then 'fan out' in more of a V shape. My prongs don't fan out as much, so it seems that the prongs come straight up more.

The possible disadvantage to the way my setting turned out is that maybe it doesn't accentuate and flatter the size of the stone as much as the setting in the left. Do you think the prongs fanning out into a more obvious V shape would be more flattering to the size of the stone? I love my diamond and I love the setting, but could I love it even more??

On the page for the setting, it features other rings that were purchased in the same setting and they all resemble the style on the left, regardless of the diamond size.

This may not be a major issue at all, but I found the difference to be pretty noticeable so I wanted to know what your thoughts were on it. Would you be bothered by the differences? Or am I being crazy, obsessive, and nitpicky? Thanks!!

image_1063.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see the difference but not sure if it's enough to make a real difference on the hand. However, it's your ring and it needs to be the way you want it. Call WF and discuss it with them - see what they say about it. Are the stones comparable in size?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I can see the difference. I like them both so in theory it wouldn't bother me. But it would annoy me that it's not what I asked for. What size is your diamond? I wonder if the size is different enough to effect the design.

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Here is another photo. The one in the photo on the left was a 1.23 ct stone and mine is a 1.5 stone. Whiteflash also sent me the photo below when I was deciding on the setting and it looks to be a bigger carat diamond. The setting still looks different than mine, whether smaller or bigger than mine.

image_1064.jpg

image_1065.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely see the difference, and I would not be happy at all. The beauty and gracefulness of the original setting is lost in translation - I think yours looks more boxy, and I don't care for it. JMHO.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the difference and think that your ring is much nicer than the photo on their website, but if it's not what you want hopefully they can fix it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1390229968|3596892 said:
I definitely see the difference, and I would not be happy at all. The beauty and gracefulness of the original setting is lost in translation - I think yours looks more boxy, and I don't care for it. JMHO.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Yours definitely looks off somehow, like it's not the Fine Line setting. Boxy is a good word.

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
I definitely see the difference, but prefer yours.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I see a huge difference and I wouldn't be happy with it if the original picture is what I wanted.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1390230182|3596896 said:
ecf8503|1390229968|3596892 said:

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Yours definitely looks off somehow, like it's not the Fine Line setting. Boxy is a good word.

I like the WF one better too. Looks like yours has a square donut and the WF one has a
Round donut. I like the curved out prongs better too.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely see a difference. To me, the difference changes the whole aesthetic of the ring. The basket on the the website photo is sleeker and yours looks bulkier. It would bother me. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SgrPlum12|1390228326|3596877 said:

I don't know if it's just the angle of the photo or what, but the prongs on your ring appear wonky and assymetrical (left being straight and the right curved/bowed out). If it were mine, I'd have them do it over.

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Msop, you are right!! I keep looking at it and noticing the prongs look crooked. And also, on each side of the ring, the left prong looks taller and bigger than the right one. So the bigger ones are across from each other and the smaller ones are across from each other. I was just sitting here wondering if that was done on purpose because even round diamonds can have different diameters. Hmmm.

Also, Whiteflash emailed me saying they needed more time to org on the ring than originally told to me.

Here's the email sent to me:

Hello from Whiteflash. I wanted to let you know there will be a delivery delay with your order while our craftsmen give extra care to the final stages of your piece. The details are being hand-finished and we insist on taking the time necessary to ensure that all aspects meet our standards in terms of quality control and appearance. We hope this is not an imposition and look forward to delivering your beautiful 18k White Gold "Fine Line" Solitaire Engagement Ring.

If they were going to take extra time with it and make us wait longer for the ring, shouldn't it look perfect. At least like the photos on the website? The more I think about it, the more this really bothers me!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call them up immediately. Show them the photos from this thread.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea that's not the same design, and I'd want it made to the photos. Especially if they required extra time to "make it right."

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
I do see the difference, and I also see where one prong has a bend and the other is straight. I wouldn't be happy, and it would bother me for sure. To me it's not acceptable, it was not what you were expecting (you clearly chose it from their own site), and the end result is clearly not up to what you would expect from White Flash's standards (especially those wonky prongs). I would call them.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I see the difference and it would not be ok with me. I would call them to discuss the issues. I would also follow up with an email summarizing what was discussed by both parties and attach the pictures you posted in this thread.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also see a significant difference and much prefer the design you actually selected, as opposed to the one WF sent you.

I trust in WF's customer service and believe they will be put this right 100%, but I am one that would recommend first emailing your WF sales rep (and cc'ing Vera), attaching the pics and including the link to this thread. I prefer things in writing, and if you just use the telephone, WF won't have the benefit of the pics or link, so their initial response may not be as helpful to you nor based on all the info. If you don't hear back from your rep within 24-48 hours of your email, then I would pick up the phone, but your email will already be on record with 2 WF employees.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it bothers you then I would call them..

I sort of like yours better as the shank appears narrower (I like narrower) BUT if you don't like this look then I would definitely call them.

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I did send them all the pics in an email and they said the service team will be contacting me today. They offered to pay the return shipping but first I need to speak to the service team to see what their plan is. I hope this isn't going to be a two week process. We already waited two weeks the first time and I hope they give my ring some priority.

I want to ask them why my ring came out so different and what they plan on doing to avoid having it happen again.

I haven't been proposed to yet, and it looks like that will probably get pushed back now too! :???:

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Tekate, I prefer my shank too. I think that part of the ring is perfect and wouldn't want it to change. It's the basket that looks really different to me.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Honestly I'd be glad mine is different and I think yours is nicer. So good for you.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes SgrPlum12 you are right.. the shank is nice.. it looks like they set the prongs farther apart? so yours doesn't look as a V it looks more U...hope I am getting this across correctly... from all I read on here this jewelry company is top notch and I am sure they will make it as the original picture shows.. maybe in the Christmas 'rush' they rushed yours too much .... beautiful stone and ring! much happiness to you.

peace.

SgrPlum12|1390237967|3596977 said:
Tekate, I prefer my shank too. I think that part of the ring is perfect and wouldn't want it to change. It's the basket that looks really different to me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SgrPlum12|1390237774|3596974 said:
I hope this isn't going to be a two week process. We already waited two weeks the first time and I hope they give my ring some priority.
I want to ask them why my ring came out so different and what they plan on doing to avoid having it happen again.

I haven't been proposed to yet, and it looks like that will probably get pushed back now too! :???:

Make sure you express the importance of getting a rush ship both ways. Let them know you want it to look exactly like the photo they show on their website.

SgrPlum12

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your support!! They are on top of things now. I received this very nice email not too long after contacting them:

"We did view the photos and after checking with our production manager we can definitely see the discrepancy between the two rings. You are right that they do not match. This is something that should have been noticed at our quality control stage and I am terribly sorry that we did not catch it then. I would like to send you a shipping label to send your ring back to us. We will of course cover both the return shipping and the shipping of your new ring. We have actually started production on your new ring today to expedite the matter and get it to you as quickly as we possibly can. I would also like to send out a check for $100.00 so you can enjoy a nice "Dinner On Us", to let you know how sorry we are for your disappointment and added hassle. Please expect another email from me shortly with your Return Authorization Number and shipping instructions. If you have any questions please let me know. I assure you we will do everything we can to get this taken care of quickly as possible. Thanks very much for your patience."

They have already started working on the new ring. Hopefully this process won't take too long. I'll be sending it back tonight.

I hope that the shank on my ring stays the same because it is perfect as is. I wouldn't want it any thicker.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is nice of them!

It's just weird, because I'm pretty sure that setting is a stock setting and they use a wax mold to replicate it over and over. I don't get how it could be off from a wax.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! Now that's customer service!! :appl: :appl:

(...I just wonder how it got so messed up? Isn't it a stock setting??)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1390261443|3597243 said:
That is nice of them!

It's just weird, because I'm pretty sure that setting is a stock setting and they use a wax mold to replicate it over and over. I don't get how it could be off from a wax.

^^^^ We're posting over each other ^^^^^ :lol: :D

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SgrPlum12|1390258304|3597218 said:
I hope that the shank on my ring stays the same because it is perfect as is. I wouldn't want it any thicker.

I hope you mentioned this, OP... :))

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, email them back and tell them that you don't want the shank any thicker. It pays to be very specific so that when it arrives the next time it will be perfect to you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results