shape
carat
color
clarity

Would someone please help me identify this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diezeldog

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I have a cornflower blue (true color!) 13 crt. something or other stone.
I believe I know what it is based on my microscope pictures. I found all sorts of tiny inclusions that appear at high magnification. Howerver I tried to get pictures of the main inclusions I am trying to identify. It is a clear round rod shaped inclusion that starts near the table and has an angle of about 15 degrees and then corners at aboout 25 degrees down to what I call the mouth of the long rod. At the very end of the long rod it has silk coming out in three directions what look llike to me 60, and 120 degrees.However I am not positive about how exactly you measure the angles. Shoule I start with one set of silk like needles facing straight down and then measure the angle of the other two directions or?
I believe I have found a sapphire crystal within this stone. Within the long rod it appears to have crystals formed within that follow the length of the rod.
I have provided pictures and can provide more if needed. I have done tests with my chelsea filter, 10,20x loups. And used up to 200x microscope. and my dichroscope.
I observed a sky blue, and a darker purple blue in the two fields.

I am almost positive it''s a sapphire. I am wondering also if anybody knows where to sell or find a place to find good semi=mounts and just sell it as a full ring. I just need high end buyers.
Please help me to identify. I have studied about gemstones. Looked through many inclusion libraries. But have never seen an inclusion quite like this.
I know garnets have needle like silk in almondite garnets. A|do they have them for pther colored garnets or gemstones. And that almondite it more at I believe 70 and 110 degrees.Righr?
Thank you very much.
Help would be very appreciated.
J

rod and silk2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have any real pictures? i.e. not of just the inclusion, but of the whole stone?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s unlikely but could that be a laser line?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
How about the basic diagnostics, like refractive index and specific gravity?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
No ideas as I''m just a newbie, but as I''m reading "Gem Identification Made Easy" right now, I am excited to hear more, and see more photos! Other than a loupe, I haven''t yet acquired any of the other tools to use for gem identification.

4.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/12/2009 7:50:41 PM
Author: morecarats
How about the basic diagnostics, like refractive index and specific gravity?
Ditto that. It''s a simple test and will tell you for sure what it isn''t and what it is. Groping around in the dark like this will not yield much results.

Nacre

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2009 6:58:23 PM
Author:diezeldog
Hello,

I have a cornflower blue (true color!) 13 crt. something or other stone.

I believe I know what it is based on my microscope pictures. I found all sorts of tiny inclusions that appear at high magnification. Howerver I tried to get pictures of the main inclusions I am trying to identify. It is a clear round rod shaped inclusion that starts near the table and has an angle of about 15 degrees and then corners at aboout 25 degrees down to what I call the mouth of the long rod. At the very end of the long rod it has silk coming out in three directions what look llike to me 60, and 120 degrees.However I am not positive about how exactly you measure the angles. Shoule I start with one set of silk like needles facing straight down and then measure the angle of the other two directions or?

I believe I have found a sapphire crystal within this stone. Within the long rod it appears to have crystals formed within that follow the length of the rod.

I have provided pictures and can provide more if needed. I have done tests with my chelsea filter, 10,20x loups. And used up to 200x microscope. and my dichroscope.

I observed a sky blue, and a darker purple blue in the two fields.

I am almost positive it''s a sapphire. I am wondering also if anybody knows where to sell or find a place to find good semi=mounts and just sell it as a full ring. I just need high end buyers.

Please help me to identify. I have studied about gemstones. Looked through many inclusion libraries. But have never seen an inclusion quite like this.

I know garnets have needle like silk in almondite garnets. A|do they have them for pther colored garnets or gemstones. And that almondite it more at I believe 70 and 110 degrees.Righr?

Thank you very much.

Help would be very appreciated.

J

Hmmm. High end buyers for your Almondite? Are these high end buyers going to be purchasing some of your pistachio-ites and cashew-ites as well?

Diezeldog, I appreciate that you are trying to look further into the world of inclusions, but you need to throw us a genuine bone here for any Gemmos to be able to help you.

You have taken a great photo of an inclusion - that is very hard to do well.

The image you have does not show ''silk'', the weave of long rutile threads in a Sri Lankan Sapph, is very different to the short rutile needles in Almandine Garnet. I don''t know what the large needle like frosted inclusion is, but it does look somewhat like a laser drill hole to me, but why would a Corundum be laser drilled?? Twinning?

Rutile needles are always oriented parallel to the basal plane and to the second order prism. Rutile needles are 70 to 110 degrees to each other. I am assuming that it cannot be a variable factor due to Steno''s Law of Constancy of Interfacial Angles?

The main concern I have is about the very closely spaced zoning lines in the background. They just look a tiny bit curved to me, but it could be polish lines... Any thoughts?

We cannot begin to identify inclusions accurately if we don''t know what the host material is supposed to be. You will need to do an RI and SG for us for a start. One of the best references for inclusions is Gubelin''s Photoatlas.

This is fun though! I wish more people could take pics of ''scoped inclusions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results