shape
carat
color
clarity

would like opinions on these 2 diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbreff

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am hoping to get some feedback on the 2 diamonds below. My priorities are cut and color,
and am willing to sacrifice on clarity assuming the stone is eye clear.

#1 - Price: $12,790.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.514
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 7.45-7.47X4.51

#2 -* Carat Weight: 1.59
* Clarity: SI1
* Color: F
* Shape: Round brilliant
* Cut External
o Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
o Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
o Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
* Cut Internal
o Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
o Light Return ~ Excellent
* GIA #:14157347
* Price ~ $ 14,345.
* Bank wire discount ~ $ 14,030.

My main question is whether #2 is significantly "better" than #1 so as to justify
my parting with the additional cash.

Many thanks in advance!
Keith

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
There doesn''t seem to be a significant difference at all-- you will probably not even be able to tell the difference between D and F color anyway, and teh price in #1 is well below #2. and .10 in size is negliable. I say #1.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately there''s no way to compare which is ''better'' in these stones, even with the GIA saying EX etc etc..do you have a Sarin on the 2nd stone? At this point we''re not comparing apples to apples as you gave #''s and specs for the first stone but no real numbers and just notes that GIA and AGS say this stone is EX for the 2nd stone.

I really like the specs in the first stone, the 2nd obviously has promise with the EX''s but can you give more information?

Otherwise I like #1 just because it has more info and those are really nice numbers. But if you have more info along with maybe Idealscope images or similar it would be helpful.

I wouldn''t pay another $2k just for a bit of size and a better color, but that is because I am not color sensitive at all and a G would be fine for me with an exceptionally cut stone.
2.gif

Adam12

Rough_Rock
Hey kbreff,

I can most definitely comment on #1. I bought that very diamond about 3 weeks ago. Ended up returning it at end of 10 day period. Had a tough time deciding, considering the "well, it''s in my hands and it sure does look nice".

That diamond is NOT eye-clean. I was told (won''t mention names) that it was eye-clean from top, but could see inclusion from side. You can see inclusion side, bottom, and top. Cert shows it pretty well. There''s a good size dark inclusion. I ended up showing it to coworkers, friends, etc. Some could find, some could not. But all saw it once I pointed it out. So it really depends on whether that would bother you. For me, I couldn''t get over it. I could see it from 12" top-side.

Good luck.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Good thing you saw this thread
6.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 10:00:56 PM
Author: Adam12
Hey kbreff,

I can most definitely comment on #1. I bought that very diamond about 3 weeks ago.
Adam, Is the inclusion the cloud at 3 o'clock in the picture? LINK to photo

Kbreff, Speaking of F-G Si1 1.5cts ideals... How about this one You would need to ask where are those inclusions anyway - there is barely any trace of then on the copy of the lab report and nothing in the photo provided. So... no way to know off hand, unless this is one darn lucky SI picking.

I don't know what makes the price difference to a tee - the F/SI looks very nice, but so do the other two. The color is different and that should account for something. Otherwise, I can't say what exactly makes for (more or less) small price differences between shops anyway.

Adam12

Rough_Rock
Ana - that 40x image is misleading. That''s what I thought was the SI1 inclusion when I bought it. Nope, couldn''t even find that. The real doozy is off the table as shown in the cert. The 3/4 circle with pulse laser/feather (?) next to it. The problem is that inclusion is big, solid, and dark. Easy to see. But doesn''t even show up in the 40x. And it''s not close enough to girdle to be covered by prong. I played around with that for a while.

kbreff

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all who replied, and especially Adam12 for the red flag!

Keith

kbreff

Rough_Rock
Oops, cut-and-paste error for #2. Here are more of the details (am working on
getting a sarin as well).

#2 - Price: $14,030.00
HCA: 1.2
AGS: 0, H&A
Report: GIA
Shape: Round
Carat: 1.59
Color: F
Depth: 61.3
Table: 55.7
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: 1.56%, medium to slightly thick faceted
Polish: ex
Symmetry: ex
Culet: none
Fluorescence: ft
Measurements: 7.536 x 7.562 x 4.627

Keith

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
#2 looks nice from that second post you did...is it eye-clean? But that extra $2k? Hard to stomach, definitely. That''s a set of 1ctw stud earrings!
9.gif

Can you keep looking and see if you can find a G SI that''s eye clean for more like $12k?

kbreff

Rough_Rock
I am now realizing buying an SI1 is a bit tricky! There are a couple G/SI1 that
look promising. I have been told that both are eye clean.

#3 - $11600
Carat weight: 1.55
Cut: Signature Ideal
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 54%
Girdle: 0.9-1.6
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.47*7.50*4.58
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown %: 15.9
Pavillion Angle: 40.5°
Pavillion %: 42.6

#4 - $13030
Carat weight: 1.63
Cut: Signature Ideal
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.3%
Table: 56%
Girdle: 0.8-1.6
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.57*7.62*4.66
Crown Angle: 35.0°
Crown %: 15.4
Pavillion Angle: 40.8°
Pavillion %: 43

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results