shape
carat
color
clarity

worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iwastei

Rough_Rock
Hi to all,

I''m new to the board. About a year ago I found a great girl that I''m getting more and more serious with as the days go by.

Her Birthday is Friday and I was curious what you thought about this deal....

I went to the Diamond Exchange for round cut,diamond stud,platinum backed earrings.

I was looking for about .75-1.0 carot, price range of $700 - $1000

He offered me these:

.80 carot, G color, SI1''s, platinum backed for $1,250.00
To my untrained eye they looked eye-clean so I looked around some more then went back and put a deposit down.

He called me today and offered another stone....

1.16 carot, H color, SI2''s, platinum backed for $1,400.00

Should I stick with the first or is it worth it for the second???

I appreciate anyone''s imput.

Paul
35.gif

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Go look at the 1.16 carat studs. If you like them better, buy them..if not don''t!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
There really isn''t enough data about the stones.

I would strongly recomment that they gdt certs from EGL or GIA. It is fair for you to pay for the cost of grading- IF they grade equal to what the seller says.

If he won''t do this for you - then find another seller whho will.

It is imperative and crucial that you have a major lab report on this stones to make sure you''re getting what the seller claims they are. Cost of certs probably about $80.00 eachplus shipping ( although GIA and EGL have local location to LA).

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 2:37:20 PM
Author:iwastei
Hi to all,

I''m new to the board. About a year ago I found a great girl that I''m getting more and more serious with as the days go by.

Her Birthday is Friday and I was curious what you thought about this deal....

I went to the Diamond Exchange for round cut,diamond stud,platinum backed earrings.

I was looking for about .75-1.0 carot, price range of $700 - $1000

He offered me these:

.80 carot, G color, SI1''s, platinum backed for $1,250.00
To my untrained eye they looked eye-clean so I looked around some more then went back and put a deposit down.

He called me today and offered another stone....

1.16 carot, H color, SI2''s, platinum backed for $1,400.00

Should I stick with the first or is it worth it for the second???

I appreciate anyone''s imput.

Paul
35.gif

No one can answer you with knowing the VERIFIED clarity, color witj specific info on the cutting / proportioning of the two stones.

Have him have them graded at AGS/GIA/ EGL, The cost of the grading ( if they are what he says they are) should be paid by you. About $80 ish per stone.. If not let him keep his diamonds and find two others that already have these reports done.

Rockdoc

iwastei

Rough_Rock
I''ll definitely have to ask for the certification, Should they have it on site?

I can ask to look at the stone through magnification if I desire right?

I''m not sure about "buying a diamond" etiquette

Can I determine from the measurements if it would be a good stone right off the bat without certification?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you have a lot of experience with a dealer, you might rely upon that dealer to give you a pair of diamonds with reasonably correct color and clarity and very good dollar value for exactly whatever they would grade by one of the major or qualified minor labs. This requires you putting full trust in the seller, which on the surface sounds iffy, but could possibly work if you know this dealer VERY well.

If you are new to the process, then you should put more reliance on grading documents and people to assist you. Shop Pricescope for similar stones and for stones with certs that are 1 grade lower in color and clarity to get a feeling for how well you might be doing with your own retailer. If it seems competitive even with the lower pricescope grades, then possibly you will be okay....See how the priocescope search runs.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those total weight between the two earrings? If not, then I suspect that they are clarity enhanced stones. I suspose nothing wrong with that as long as you know, and know what it means.

Perry

iwastei

Rough_Rock
I''ve searched for the same stone on Pricescope and the prices are noticibly very much higher..

More specifically, there''s a difference in price of almost $3000 higher.

How could he sell me these earrings for $1,250.00 if pricescope search comes up with $4,594.00

He''s probably innacurate on the description of the stone right?

Paul

iwastei

Rough_Rock
I guess that''s the total weight between the two stones because he showed me the two earrings.

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...

Maybe it would be wiser to buy her something else for her birthday... maybe a "smaller" gift, and start looking into nice diamond earings now, for her holiday gift?

Diamond earings are a big purchase and I''d hate to see you rush it this much... If you had a couple weekes to research and shop around, I''m sure the end result would be worth the trouble.

Good luck.

reena

Ideal_Rock
well, did you search for a .80 carat stone or two .40 carat stones? that would make a big difference.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
second Reena's Q...

A pair of 40 point diamonds (80 points total) and one of half carat rounds make some sense for the respective price - especillay since the stones have no certs and no cut pedigree to talk about.

There are plenty of certified diamonds like those (40 to 60 points, G-H SI2) between $550 and $700 around here - just not ideal cut or anything.

iwastei

Rough_Rock
I searched for .58 carat studs G-H, SI1-SI2''s and came up with around $1,000/Crt

If he''s selling me both earrings 1.16 carat for $1,250

Does that sound about right?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the finds: 0.59 G SI2 - $820 (there are one or two more under $900). But these carry certs, with o certificates in toe, let''s assume one grade of color and clarity are down: this gets a price ref of H I1 for about $650. And this sounds close to your price quote.

The picture changes below the 0.5 carat mark: 0.4cts G-SI1 $600 is already just about cert and all. With the same excuse for dealer''s grades instead of a lab''s there''s a bit of change: 0.4 H-SI2 $530

The database will endure any amout of abuse ;-) But non certified stones do not show up. On some seller sites you will find not certified diamonds for better price comparison (try Abazias and Dirt Cheap Diamonds, say).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results