shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth it to send a small stone to GIA?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
At what point do you consider it worth it or not worth it? I have a small oval diamond, in the range of 0.4-0.45, probably E-F VVS1-2. Thinking of taking it out of its current solitaire necklace, or possibly selling the whole necklace. Is it worth it to get a report from GIA at this size? I would be inclined to only do a Dossier report rather than full Grading report. Happy to hear any opinions.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably do a dossier at that size so that buyers know what they're getting

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To whom are you proposing to sell? If it's a consumer or any sort of direct retail, which is where the most money is, yes. No buyer with sense is going to accept E-F VVS1-VVS2 grade undefended. The size range tells me it wasn't even weighed. Heck, they won't even accept that it's a natural diamond without 'proof'. A dealer will do their own grading and in that case maybe not. You're going to see bids in the $300-400 range and, unless you live in NYC or Carlsbad, it's going to cost you $100 to get the papers. That's quite a bit of your money. It may be better to just take the hit and let them do it.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
To whom are you proposing to sell? If it's a consumer or any sort of direct retail, which is where the most money is, yes. No buyer with sense is going to accept E-F VVS1-VVS2 grade undefended. The size range tells me it wasn't even weighed. Heck, they won't even accept that it's a natural diamond without 'proof'. A dealer will do their own grading and in that case maybe not. You're going to see bids in the $300-400 range and, unless you live in NYC or Carlsbad, it's going to cost you $100 to get the papers. That's quite a bit of your money. It may be better to just take the hit and let them do it.

I work just a few blocks from GIA in NYC, so it's no problem for me to drop off in person. Alex Park had set the stone in its current pendant for me, and estimated the size and color/clarity, but it was only an estimate. I asked him when I was having it set if it was worth taking it to GIA then, and he discouraged me given the small size. I guess that's where my hesitation stems from. Thank you for your objective input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results