shape
carat
color
clarity

Worth a diamond district trip?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shelldemeo

Rough_Rock
My wife''s ring was stolen seven years ago and we are (finally) replacing it.

She has picked out a ring at a local jewelry store (independent) that she is excited about.

The ring is:

an 18K, .64 diamond E/Si Lazare "ideal" cut, round in a White House filigree setting (14 K gold). The price is $4,950. For a platinum setting, which I prefer, its another $900. The store is a quality local retailer (not a mall store) with knowledgeable sales staff and an appraiser on the premises.

I tried to find out the price of the stone and the White House setting independently but the retailer told me she can''t get that information for several days because they are taking inventory, etc.

I think we should head down to the NYC diamond district (about a three hour trip) and check out other prices but... my wife just wants THE RING! She prefers sparkle over size.

Based on this info, how do I know I am getting a good deal? Much as I like spending money locally I figure you can''t beat 47th Street prices (except perhaps online). If I do go to NYC any suggestions for places to shop?

Thaks for any advice you can provide.

-Ray

Joeys Minx

Rough_Rock
I have heard the diamond districts are not much better. I would get something online similiar to what you know she likes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
I purchased from Michael Jay Fifth Avenue last year and he was absolutely brilliant and took great care of me and still does. He is an online vendor as well as having his Fifth Avenue salon, but I believe he prefers clients to make an appointment with him so he can see them personally. I have no hesitation in recommending him. If size is important to her you can drop the colour a couple of grades and still have a very white diamond to perhaps a F G or H which will save some money so you can go larger still and stick to the SI range if eyeclean. Above all get the best cut quality you can but if your wife has her heart set on this ring then maybe that might be best, just be aware you have other options before you pull the trigger. Good luck!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The average price for a .63 to .65 round E SI1 with AGS papers in a pricescope search I just ran was about $2300 for the diamond. You could readily do the same. Pretty much any of those stones would be an equal to the Lazare stone. Surely more than half of those in the search would have been AGS 0 or AGS 000 stones.

Whitehouse mountings are EXPENSIVE for what they are. Yes, the look is old and distinctive, but the price is an issue that I find difficult to get used to. People love the look.

I think you can find a diamond in a discount district for under $3,000 if you shop well. Then the mounting becomes the issue. How much was the mountng alone? That''s where most of the profit lies. It will be far more difficult to shop so well for a similar mounting.

Lots of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results