shape
carat
color
clarity

Work Place Insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Question for the forum.
Should a major retail company expect their employees to use their personal cars to run errands on company time but not expect to pay for gas or milage.Should the company also have insurance or bonding to pay 100 % for a car or medical accident or if they are a victium of a crime while employee is out of store or office on company time running errands using their own car.What is the policy with your company?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I worked at a small independently owned optical office. We were expected to run errands in our vehicles (though sometimes the bosses would give us their vehicles) but only within a few blocks of the office. At these times we were on the clock but did not receive mileage. We didn''t mind not getting mileage because they were short trips and we were getting a break from work.

At least once a year we had to take a long trip to Chicago for educational purposes. The bosses would pay mileage (plus a little extra for the co-worker who drove) and carry insurance on all of us during that time period. We also got paid for our time on the road. And, they footed the bill for our hotel and dining expenses. Our area is pretty much crime-free so I don''t know and never thought to ask about the possibility of something like that happening.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a major retail company, but I do have an employee that runs errands for me using her car. I pay her for gas and mileage.

As far as insurance while she''s running these errands, no I don''t have any coverage for that. It seems like it would be problematic to get, and probably expensive. I figure her insurance would cover her in the unlikely event of an accident, or victim of a crime.

If it didn''t, or didn''t cover everything, I would make up the difference out of my pocket.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
If you are in the U.S. jewelerman, then they probably do have insurance. It isn't cool at all, for them to ask you to do a lot of errands in your car on company time and not reimburse your mileage. If you are involved in an accident while you are in the course and scope of your employment, their worker's compensation coverage would pay for any lost time and medical treatment reasonably necessary to cure or relieve the effects of the injury.

They probably also have liability insurance to pay for bodily injury to any person that you may hurt, in the event you caused the accident. (If they are a large retail company, I am certain that they have such coverage).

In addition, most large companies carry an auto policy that covers owned, non-owned and hired autos (rental cars for executives, etc).

In the event that you had a large collision loss, like a total loss, they would usually have it go through your insurance and then reimburse you the deductible as well as any increase in premium, unless, you were DUI or deviated from employment.

There are many ways to manage this risk and each company may have different approaches depending on the situation.

Okay, is it obvious to you that this is what I do for a living. ??
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 7:08:28 PM
Author:jewelerman
Question for the forum.

Should a major retail company expect their employees to use their personal cars to run errands on company time but not expect to pay for gas or milage.Should the company also have insurance or bonding to pay 100 % for a car or medical accident or if they are a victium of a crime while employee is out of store or office on company time running errands using their own car.What is the policy with your company?

That may or may not be legal depending on the state.
If not paid mileage you can deduct it from your income taxes.

They are liable for any accidents accruing on company time.
They will likely try and claim you weren''t should something happen leaving you hanging.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 9:54:52 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
I''m not a major retail company, but I do have an employee that runs errands for me using her car. I pay her for gas and mileage.

As far as insurance while she''s running these errands, no I don''t have any coverage for that. It seems like it would be problematic to get, and probably expensive. I figure her insurance would cover her in the unlikely event of an accident, or victim of a crime.

If it didn''t, or didn''t cover everything, I would make up the difference out of my pocket.
workers comp and a general liability policy($1M min. don''t have employees without it!) is sometimes enough.
Check your policy some exclude auto accidents.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I know my company pays mileage, but we do require that employees have insurance themselves, and then our insurance will pick up where there''s leaves off. They have to sign a statement saying they will have the coverage, so if they cause an accident on company time without insurance they''ll be out a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results