shape
carat
color
clarity

Won a 2 carat Daniel K engagement ring, how much is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That ring is just stunning!!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it sure is gorgeous!!

dazzling

Rough_Rock
WOW, itt is beautiful!
36.gif
I have been off the boards for awhile, and it was nice to return to see your photos! The asscher cut will not be labeled as "ideal cut" like round stones- there is no standard. But you can be sure that Daniel K is known for using only the highest quality stones in his rings... only Ex polish/Ex symmetry. Clarity IF is pretty awesome for a stone that size, and I am sure it is nice and sparkly! Isn''t that wooden box it comes in amazing? (I am the lucky owner of a Daniel K, and I still put the ring to bed in in its nifty wooden box.) What a beautiful way to present the ring to your sweetie! Congratulations and best of luck!!!! Can''t wait to hear about the reaction to your two rings!
face1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, it''s absolutely gorgeous!
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been keeping an eye on this thread, eagerly awaiting pics. THANKS for sharing. What a stunning ring!

Sorry if this has been answered already- what are your proposal plans? You are going to blow her away with that ring!

itsjustarock

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 8:49:39 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006

(I hope you know that most people have a different ring size for the right hand?)
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
38.gif
They look the same.......... Hopefully its close enough

itsjustarock

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 8:57:56 AM
Author: diamondlil

What about the round you also purchased. Do you have pics of that?
The round one is still overseas. I have asked my sister to bring it back for me when she returns in February. I will be happy to post side by side pics once it gets here.

itsjustarock

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 1:15:53 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
I''ve been keeping an eye on this thread, eagerly awaiting pics. THANKS for sharing. What a stunning ring!

Sorry if this has been answered already- what are your proposal plans? You are going to blow her away with that ring!
Unfortunately, I dont have a proposal plan yet.
7.gif
I''m trying to be creative but have not come up with anything yet. I''m usually good at coming up with ideas for my friends but cant seem to conjure up a plan for my own proposal.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is absolutely STUNNING!! Now we can''t wait for hand shots...we''re greedy around here when it comes to pictures! I''m too much of a novice to comment on the depth, but it looks like a winner to me!

Hansel

Rough_Rock
Waited2Long is right! That is a brilliant idea! Have you give it to her yet? I agree with W2L. Sell the ring, buy a comparable stone a little smaller of better quality and use the leftover money to take her on a vacation.

That''s what I would do? What are the specs on the stone, by the way?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow the specs on that stone seem very nice in terms of what limited knowledge i have on asschers, and i love the IF which i would never want to pay for but in an asscher is great when it''s FREE. i laughed at what the other poster said re: the quality or cut improves dramatically as the diamond approaches free. HA so true!!

the pictures look great too! nice pattern! congrats!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can''t wait for more pics and the update on what you decide to do re: proposal, etc.!!

Hansel

Rough_Rock
Hot damn. I would still sell it and go a vacation.

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful that it all worked out!
Amex really stepped up to the plate.
The ring is really beautiful.
Congratulations - she''s going to go crazy!
Can''t wait to hear about her reaction.
You should give her both rings at the same time - and say "I love you so much you get 2 engagement rings!" - One for even days and one for odd days : )

What a wonderful story.

Scintillating...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting! Maybe we can lure the third winner here too! Hear the story behind each one ... well, one can dream can''t one?

SELLING THE RING
-- do you have a high-end jeweler in your town? maybe he would sell it on consignment with an agreed upon limit for the least you''d sell it for
-- ebay?
-- I don''t know how much you can realistically get? 35K retail - the rule of thumb is half? Is that right? Perhaps with the notoriety of this contest & the Daniel K name/quality maybe 25K tops?

THE PROPOSAL
-- this is tricky
-- if''d you hadn''t won, how would you have proposed? Colored stone ring?
-- maybe you should buy the ring you would have bought her, propose with that and then confess the whole Daniel K dealie & celebrate your future earnings with it.
-- If she''s opposed to diamonds, using that ring for a proposal might taint it somehow for her (just a thought)

Please report back!!!! And here''s an official welcome for winner #3. Come tell you tale too!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very late in responding. Just saw the pics and am speechless. I love it, wow!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

heyta

Rough_Rock
I believe they gave away 7 or 8 of these rings, not just 3.

I have thought about the taint issue. I guess it was my easy way out of not having to pick a ring from an infinite number of possibilities -- let her pick. Not nearly as romantic I guess. She is more interested in having a pearl ring (believe it or not). Some guys would say I am lucky, but in a way I feel sort of like I am missing out? Weird I know...I should be thankful she wants a ring that costs less than a thousand dollars.

As for the value.... The ring comes with a pricetag of 40,000 from daniel K...the stone itself is REALLY hard to gauge, as the cut on an asscher seems even more important than on other stone shapes. I believe I read somewhere that Daniel K. only uses Ideal "000" cut stones. From looking on bluenile and other such sights, it seems like the stone could be worth 14-22k or anywhere in between. Count me confused.

We have a lot of boutique jewellers here in Atlanta. What cut would they typically take if it were sold on consignment?

I would take pictures of this beautiful diamond if anyone wants to see them, but I believe the pictures the OP posted look fairly identical to this.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Heyta-

IF you''re thinking about selling it. I''d contact Bill Pearlman at Pearlmans. He sells Daniel K rings. He also has a previously owned/closeout section that you can consign with. His site alone is high end and you may have a better chance of finding the perfect buyer willing to pay a decent amount that would see your ring there. You can lso check you local high end jewelry store and see if they will consign for you but I found Bill''s consignment % much better to my liking.

if she''s opposed to diamonds I''m with Deco, you might not want to propose with one. Hang on to the ring until after you propose though, seeing a daniel k might be enough to change her mind
31.gif

Now, i''m off to apply for an AMEX card and try to win one of this dang rings
3.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
all my local jewelers take 50% to consign. That''s a big reason I shipped my item to Bill his takes only 15%. I don''t think that''s changed since i consigned with him..

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, good luck with whatever you decide to do. It is a beautiful ring ~ she may change her mind one of these old days!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''m coming late to the game here - regarding tax - wouldn''t this prize money be capital gains at a lesser percentage?

Congrats! How could I miss this thread. Maybe you could give her the Daniel K ring as a 1st year anniversary present for a right hand ring.

ladywithring

Rough_Rock
I am another lucky lady to have won this ring. It was like a dream. The diamond is absolutely gorgeous. The more I look at it, the more I like it. and the more I am in a dilema whether I really should keep it. I have got married and I have a lovely kid already. I am jobless at the moment. Money is more important for my family instead of this beautiful stone.

But I don't know how to sell it and what's the reasonable price I should sell it for. I searched the website and found this forum. I read all posts on this subject and found people here are very friendly. Maybe I can get valuable information here. I have read that the local stores usually take only 50% to consign. I want to know if that's based on the MSRP or the FMV provided by AMEX (A big difference actually). I am wondering if I can get better price by selling locally through sites like craigslist.org. Is it reliable?

Also I want to know if I will be liable to the tax again if I sell it, even though the selling price will be absolutely lower than FMV,, which AMEX has covered the tax for it.

Any info is appreciated! Thank you!

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
I saw a very similar Daniel K ring that was approx 2 carats (center stone) a while ago on Ebay. It was being sold for $35,000. It did not sell. I know there''s a lot of people looking for bargains on Ebay but I don''t think most of then are willing to pay that much for it, even if its the true value.

I use Craigslist and I don''t see that people would buy it via Craigslist either. I think your best bet may be Pearlmans.

ladywithring

Rough_Rock
I never thought of selling it for price like $35,000. That''s crazy. For $20,000, I will sell it. And I think that''s a good price for people who really need it.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Wow that is gorgeous. I personally would not sell it if at all possible. Winning something like that is a once in a lifetime thing, especially something like that -- very much an heirloom piece. A vacation would last two weeks (maybe), but you''d have the ring for a lifetime. And (tongue planted firmly in cheek) these guys who are saying go on a vacation would probably not sell it if it were a hot car, I''m betting. Of course, I am very biased in my choice because I love diamonds, LOL! I''d probably live in a trailer before I''d part with that lovely little item, LOL!

Seriously, though, if my husband won a ring like that and DID NOT give it to me, I''d probably be completely bent out of shape. For at least a decade. Maybe longer.
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 9:19:46 PM
Author: ladywithring
I never thought of selling it for price like $35,000. That''s crazy. For $20,000, I will sell it. And I think that''s a good price for people who really need it.

I suggested it for another winner but will agree with ellewoods that giving Bill Pearlman a call would be a great first step. He will be able to answer all of your questions and will be able to help you himself or lead you in the right direction. He is also a super nice guy, very friendly and understanding.

ladywithring

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2006 10:35:45 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 1/27/2006 9:19:46 PM
Author: ladywithring

I suggested it for another winner but will agree with ellewoods that giving Bill Pearlman a call would be a great first step. He will be able to answer all of your questions and will be able to help you himself or lead you in the right direction. He is also a super nice guy, very friendly and understanding.
Who is Bill Pearlman? where can I find his information so I may contact him?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
How on earth is it that there are THREE winners of this ring in this one single thread on the great big internets?!?!? I watched the AmEx wishlist thing and didn''t even see the ring! I almost begged my fiance try for the Vespa . . . what was I thinking? Hehe!

Apparently I wasn''t paying close attention, but you can bet I''ll be signing up for an AmEx this year!

I simply don''t understand how you all found PS, but welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results