shape
carat
color
clarity

Women over 50

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last few years I have turned into a bossy old lady who doesn't hesitate to tell others what I think!
DH may be secretly afraid of me.:lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy birthday @Vera W! I just turned 55 a few weeks ago and so far it rocks. I hope 54 is an excellent year for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope my hot flashes will end at some point.

Texas + August + Hot flashes = Hell

Aww they will. Sending you lots of cool vibes and gentle hugs. Think of how freeing it will be not having your monthly period. That is (IMO) a big positive to going through menopause.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the 50's passed fast and I am now into the next decade which is so hard for me to fathom. My brain seems the same age as it has been since I have been an adult! Of course, the fun thing is having grandchildren and the joy they bring. I do think every age has good aspects. My advice is to enjoy it because time seems to pass very quickly as you get older!

So true. Time is flying by at an intense speed. I second your recommendation to value every single day because before you know it the years have passed and we are here but for a short time. Make the most of it and let the small stuff go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a definite freedom to aging. Being comfortable in your own skin is a true blessing that takes time to achieve. I see some of my younger counterparts comparing themselves physically, financially - in all sorts of ways really that I just can't be fluffed about anymore. I am grateful for what I have and happy to see others achieve their own successes.

100% being comfortable in one's own skin is the key to being happy. If we aren't happy with ourselves we can never be happy with anything or anyone else IMO. I know some unhappy people and it really is because they aren't happy with who they are. And also the key is stop comparing to others because that is a recipe for unhappiness. IMO.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm going to be a party pooper...

Andy Rooney did not write this essay or say these words. Did Andy Rooney Write "In Praise of Older Women?" It is taken from an essay written by a columnist named Frank Kaiser in 2000. A few years later it was re-vamped and misattributed as it made its rounds in cyberspace.

When I first saw the essay years ago it bothered me and it still does today. I don't need a man telling me I'm more desirable to him than a younger women for his own made up reasons and purposes. I don't need any man, or person for that matter, trying to pit older women against younger women. The young women I know today aren't getting into public screaming matches or whining that their partners want to watch sports or pestering their boyfriends about what they're thinking. I wasn't doing this when I was younger. I don't feel unappreciated today.

Buncha drivel is how I feel about this essay!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Aww they will. Sending you lots of cool vibes and gentle hugs. Think of how freeing it will be not having your monthly period. That is (IMO) a big positive to going through menopause.

Thank you Missy!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I am right there with you! Hot flashes in the summer are not fun!

Sending you cooling & healing vibes!

I'm keeping a package of frozen peas just to use as a cold compress for when I get one. They really help! Just press them against your chest or neck and aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, relief!

My husband is now ready when he sees that flush come over my face he jumps up and grabs the peas out of the freezer for me!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I love this @missy It is all true and I share your sentiments about all the lovely women. Plus it is great for celebrating my 54th Birthday today. ;-)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VERA! May you enjoy your entire birthday month!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just hope my hot flashes will end at some point.

Texas + August + Hot flashes = Hell

This happened to me when I lived in south Texas and I put my underwear in the freezer, lol. Putting it on gave me a few moments of respite from the heat and humidity. Before I moved to Texas, a friend already living there told me she'd stand with her head in the freezer to help with hot flashes and I laughed at her. Little did I know,,,,

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm going to be a party pooper...

It's OK, poop away.:) I like the sentiment and I think some of the women here enjoyed it too as well as sharing the positives of growing older. Of which there are many.

My husband is now ready when he sees that flush come over my face he jumps up and grabs the peas out of the freezer for me!

That is a thoughtful DH!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's OK, poop away.:)

:lol:

I was reacting to the first post with the essay and hadn't read the ensuing discussion. Yes, always fun to share positive sentiments. Happy belated birthday to you and @Vera W!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd read the so-called Andy Rooney essay before. I think it still has some wisdom, even if it didn't apply to all young women or all women over 50. I think it just has hits some human traits.

What strikes me as I read the essay this time around is how incredibly young 50 seems to me. Whereas once 50 seemed like an age where a wrinkle might make a woman less desirable than another woman ( but some other features might redeem her) I now think: 50? what wrinkle?

When I had my 50th birthday party my daughter was still in ballet class and some of the other little girls from her dance school also came to my party. I remember them running in and out of the ladies room at the Italian restaurant where we had reserved a room! Now I am looking back at my 60's.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd read the so-called Andy Rooney essay before. I think it still has some wisdom, even if it didn't apply to all young women or all women over 50. I think it just has hits some human traits.

What strikes me as I read the essay this time around is how incredibly young 50 seems to me. Whereas once 50 seemed like an age where a wrinkle might make a woman less desirable than another woman ( but some other features might redeem her) I now think: 50? what wrinkle?

When I had my 50th birthday party my daughter was still in ballet class and some of the other little girls from her dance school also came to my party. I remember them running in and out of the ladies room at the Italian restaurant where we had reserved a room! Now I am looking back at my 60's.

I agree. 50 seems still young to me too. The quote “50 is the youth of old age” resonates with me. Of course being 55 might have something to do with it. Haha I’m not ready yet to be “old”

And fwiw 60s seems young to me too. My DH is almost 62 and he’s very youthful and full of energy. Not old at all.

In our heads we are all still young. IMO.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
50 seems young to me too @missy, and when I look back and think of when I met Colin, his mother was just a bit old than me now, and seemed like such an old lady then. I think on the whole people have a much younger outlook on life than they did 40 years ago. Greg is very youthful for his age and I think Colin doesn’t look 70 either.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you for all your birthday wishes. :kiss2: I had a great day / week of celebration. Of course all my Sweet Potato Whiteflashers spoiled me rotten.
@missy @redwood66 @MissGotRocks @diamondseeker2006 @asscherisme @Big Fat Facets @Maria D

In reading that essay, I did for a moment think, well as a 54yr old Widow, maybe I should find a man who would appreiciate my wisdom:twisted2:. LOL I just don't have the energy for dating!! :sleep:
If the good Lord wants me to meet a new man, he is going to have to drop him in my lap. Hee Hee. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all your birthday wishes. :kiss2: I had a great day / week of celebration. Of course all my Sweet Potato Whiteflashers spoiled me rotten.
@missy @redwood66 @MissGotRocks @diamondseeker2006 @asscherisme @Big Fat Facets @Maria D

In reading that essay, I did for a moment think, well as a 54yr old Widow, maybe I should find a man who would appreiciate my wisdom:twisted2:. LOL I just don't have the energy for dating!! :sleep:
If the good Lord wants me to meet a new man, he is going to have to drop him in my lap. Hee Hee. :appl:

Oooh I love a challenge! Tell me what qualities you are looking for in a man and would you consider a long distance relationship? :)

50 seems young to me too @missy, and when I look back and think of when I met Colin, his mother was just a bit old than me now, and seemed like such an old lady then. I think on the whole people have a much younger outlook on life than they did 40 years ago. Greg is very youthful for his age and I think Colin doesn’t look 70 either.

Thank you @Austina and I agree. Colin doesn't look his age and neither does Greg though there is nothing wrong in "looking one's age" at all! Just want to make that clear. I love all ages and I appreciate the beauty in all appearances. Truly I do. My grandma had the best wrinkles and she was beautiful inside and out and her beauty glowed. Wrinkles and all!

But yes I do agree 50/60/70 and even beyond isn't the same as it was a generation or two ago.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I considered myself semi-retired, in that I am only working part time mostly from home, with sufficient income to cover the mortgage and the bills, with sufficient to spare to allow me to go camping in my campervan etc...

I was recently approached about a full time position, working in an office within a manufacturing site, in a managerial position that is likely to be highly stressful (I know the company as pharma industry is a very small world) involving long working hours.

No doubt the salary would be better than what I am earning currently, however, it would mean I would not be able to go camping in my van as and when I please, as I shan't be able to work from my van.

On top of that, I have to manage subordinates, which is not something I particularly enjoyed in the past.

Hence I declined, and apologised to my good friend who is in a very senior position in that company and provided his HR department with my contact details. I knew immediately that he had something to do with it, and e-mail about the job opportunity came from his HR department directly and not via a recruitment agency.

I would probably jump head first into such opportunity and challenge had it been 10 years earlier in my 40s.

However my outlook in life has changed, in that I would like more time to spend on myself, doing things that I enjoy, and to spend more time with my pets etc... I am far less career-minded/orientated than I was in my 30s and 40s.

I still like to learn to expand on my knowledge and experience, not just because it is a requirement to complete a certain amount of hours of CPD each year by my professional body, it's because I thrive on opportunities to learn.

I do not want to retire completely though, as it is too early as I need some stress from work to keep me on my toes, and I took out a 30-year mortgage when I bought my house in 2006! So I still have a few more years in my working life to pay off the mortgage!

DK :))

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. 50 seems still young to me too. The quote “50 is the youth of old age” resonates with me. Of course being 55 might have something to do with it. Haha I’m not ready yet to be “old”

And fwiw 60s seems young to me too. My DH is almost 62 and he’s very youthful and full of energy. Not old at all.

In our heads we are all still young. IMO.

Not just in your heads! Your personality, your pics, your attitude all radiate youthfulness!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not just in your heads! Your personality, your pics, your attitude all radiate youthfulness!

Thank you Nala! Some people might just call me immature :lol: but I prefer your view on it!
Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 11.07.06 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results