shape
carat
color
clarity

Wish me luck? Pretty please? long.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
As of monday I have been unemployed.
7.gif
I drove an hour to work my scheduled shift, went in and found out I had been taken off the schedule. I had worked there for six years...opened three restaurants for the guy, babysat his kids, worked 70 hour weeks for him for years, managed for two years, allowed myself to be bumped all over the place....and etc. Needless to say, I was shocked. He said it wasn't anything personal, he just thought I should get a job closer to my house. Didn't quite get that. He also said that I wasn't being "fired", and that I didn't do anything wrong, but I wasn't working enough shifts and he was switching his policy. So basically I left there with a lot more questions than answers, bawling like a baby....extremely hurt and upset. Couldn't quite figure out why he wouldn't give me the option to pick up more shifts, if that was his reason for letting me go. Couldn't quite figure out what it means to not be fired but not be on the schedule anymore. For the record, I only worked two shifts a week and I had been giving them up a lot. (For finals.) He mentioned that to me when he let me go, but he said that wasn't WHY he was letting me go...he was letting me go because he saw I wasn't making any money after driving all the way there, and he figured that's why I was giving up my shifts. I blame myself a bit. I got too relaxed. After covering for all the other college students all those years while I worked full time, I felt like it was my turn to take it easy once I started school. It bit me in the butt.
7.gif

I do NOT want to go back into the restaurant business. I am DONE with that industry. lol.

So, I've been looking a little bit here and there--and found a lot of crap jobs being posted all over the place. Then I went on my school's career center page and found a position for a part-time receptionist at a golf course. It said 4 hours a day, monday-friday. That's all it took. I emailed my resume yesterday. But guess what? I've been a waitress for six years so my resume sucks! So I decided to drive up there today.

Oh. My. God. I'm not going to find anything better. I'm so serious. The building is this huge white plantation in front of the golf course's pond. The area I'd be working in has these huge bay windows overlooking the water. There is a huge wrap-around porch with tables set up outside to eat your lunch. AHHH it's so great!!!! When the girl told me the position was still available, I was shocked! So I filled out an application. Apparently they had hired a girl already and she didn't show up on her first day. Thank you whoever you are!!! After I filled out the application I asked if I could talk to someone...here's what I found out!

-It's monday through friday....4 hours a day, and I can switch it up however I'd like. I could ever work 8 hours some days and get the rest off.

-Everyone there is young...like my age to early 30's.

-It's $10 an hour

-Um, the VIEW. Who wouldn't want to work there?!

-I would get 40% off golf crap for Andy

-dress is CASUAL.

-they would be willing to work with my school schedule.

-It is the PERFECT JOB!!!!!!

Here are the cons:

-I don't have any receptionist experience, although I did try to play up any clerical duties I had when managing my old job.

-I have a whole other week of a summer class which leaves a very big window for someone with more experience to come in and steal the job away from me.

-If I get it and I find out the hours she wants me to work overlap my next summer course I'm supposed to take, I'm just going to drop the course and take it in the fall, which sucks but would be so worth it. (Except for the whole graduating later part.)

-If I get it, I'm gonna have to say bye bye to the vacation we were planning because I'm not going to ask for a week off as soon as I start!

-She didn't hire me on the spot. In my experience, I'm either hired on the spot or not hired at all.

7.gif

The interview went really well though...we laughed...we finished each other's sentences...it seemed really promising! But then again, a lot of people talk to potential employees like they already have the job.

7.gif

I WANT IT SO BAD!!!

please pray for me you guys.

7.gif

on my way back from the interview I tried to get gas and my debit card and student loan card were both declined.

7.gif

I really need this job!!

HappyAnniversary

Shiny_Rock
Lots of luck sent your way!! If you have worked in a restaurant you can handle anything!
9.gif
I think a golf course sounds like a great environment to work in. Many things that seem bad at first actually allow better things to come into your life.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big *POOF* of fairy dust coming your way so that the new job works out for you! Keep us posted!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck best wishes lots of good thoughts headed your way!!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Best wishes and PS dust!!!!
35.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you will get a GREAT job...whether it is this one or another!!! Would you be coming into contact with the golfers or just the managers of the gold course? Because our son worked at a golf course when he was younger, and there are a lot of guys who''ve been drinking who might hassle you a bit if you are in contact with them. But if not, it sounds like a great atmosphere and I hope you get it!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lots of fairy dust being sent your way!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
All my best wishes for your chances at this job.

I would call and follow up with them, show them your enthusiasm.

BEST OF LUCK!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll keep my fingers crossed for you, it sounds like a great job for a student! Man, I wish I had something like that while I was doing my undergrad!!!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
*Sprinkle* *Sprinkle*
5.gif

We''re all wishing you good luck!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
best of luck!! Hope you get it!!

chickflick

Shiny_Rock
First, best of luck on the new job! Sounds like a much better situation than the prior position. I hope it all works out for you.

Second, as an HR Consultant, I have to say that letting you go because you live too far away seems like blatant discrimination. If you were late because of the drive, or refused to work certain shifts, then the root cause of your termination would be tardiness or inability to fulfill the responsibilities of your job. If there were no problems of the sort and your boss just basically "did you a favor" by letting you go, then that can be considered discriminating against you because of where you live and could definitely be grounds for wrongful termination. I wonder what your former boss would think if you asked him about that?

Good luck!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just saw this now....good luck! Lots of *fairydust*fairydust*fairydust* your way!!!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I finally got an update after staring at my phone for the last three days!

The girl I interviewed with sent me an email to tell me that she hadn''t forgotten about me, and that the office has been hectic due to the 3-day weekend. She said that she spoke with her supervisor, and they want me to come in for another interview. She said that she''ll call me at the beginning of next week to set up a time!!

So, I guess I made it through the screening process, and it sounds like I *might* get the job....but here''s the problem:

I have another summer class starting on monday. I figured that if I got hired this week I would just drop the class and pick it back up in the fall. (They have already said that they will work around my school schedule, but I didn''t mention this class to them because I didn''t want them to have to work around it right away.) Well, now I don''t know what to do!! Do I drop the class and then just pray that I get the job?
33.gif
If for some reason I don''t get it, I''m basically throwing away a class for no reason. I thought about emailing her and telling her about school, but now I feel like I''ve gotten in too deep and that was something I should have probably mentioned!
If I don''t drop the class, I will be missing out on a great opportunity. Comparable jobs in the area start at $6.50 an hour...this one pays $10! (With nights and weekends off to boot!) If I wait to find out if I''m hired before dropping, I lose money.
7.gif

To sum up...I planned on dropping the class if I got hired. But, I thought I''d know by now. So the class is starting before I will get my second interview with the supervisor and I am torn as to whether I should risk dropping the class for the job.

YIKES! I''m desperate for opinions! Right now I''m leaning toward taking the risk and just dropping the class. But if I don''t get it, I''m back at square one.
40.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky, how long do you have to decide? Can you go to the first class and then still drop it and get your $ back or is it too late at that point?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I have until tomorrow to decide (if I want a 100% refund). After that, it drops down to only a 50% refund.

It''s a huge difference, considering that if I don''t get the job I''m really going to need money! lol.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... I would drop the class and hope you get the job. Just my 2 cents.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I think I might. I''m scared to death. lol.

My mom told me to drop it as well. She said the fact that the girl took the time to email me really says something, because a lot of places wouldn''t do that if they weren''t really interested. And it sounds like the supervisor is intersted too...soo......

I just hate not knowing the future!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi lucky! only you can make the decision but i will offer what i thought after reading your last post.

i got the feeling from the op that you were needing to make some cash and that this job would be enjoyable for you. taking that into consideration i think it might be worth dropping the class and if this job doesn''t pan out finding something else for the summer to build up the bank account and start again in the fall.

i am really hoping this job opens up for you. good luck!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you have a good shot at the job, so I would wait until the last possible minute to get the 100% refund and then drop it.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
I was in a similar situation back in college. I wanted to take a quarter off, and I applied to some jobs so I could pay rent, but I was coming down to the deadline. I interviewed at a coffee shop and they wanted me to come in for a second interview, but the second one was after the deadline to apply for a quarter off from school!

I just called them and let them know my dilemma. The asst. manager told me that the manager wanted to meet me, and as long as I wasn''t "heinous", I basically had the job.

You''ll probably be hired.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I just dropped it.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really need the fairy dust now!
I have this weird sinking feeling in my stomach like I may have done the wrong thing!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucky I am * sprinkling* like crazy for you, hang in there!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Check to see if maybe a community college nearby offers the same class at a different time.

Also, as far as your job, see if your college/university offers Excel, Word, basically any certification programs for Microsoft Office programs. Ususually they only take one or two days to get certifed, and are only a few hours out of the day. You''ll have some certification and it''ll look good on your resume. It''s something that''s relatively easy to get too... they''re easy classes.

good luck!!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot-- lucky aren''t you in Houston?? If you are, see if HCC offers the class you need.. UH also offers those computer classes and they''re only a day long.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Update:

Well, she never called this week. So I emailed her and reminded her that my class ended last friday and I''m still available to come in whenever she would like. No response.

I called today and asked if the position was still available and they said no.
7.gif

So now I feel like a huge loser since I haven''t had a job in two weeks and I let myself get all excited about that one. Not to mention I dropped my class for it.
39.gif
Story of my life.

I just wish she could have at least written me back and told me the job was filled. Or not written me and told me she wanted me to meet with her supervisor! I am SO bummed.
7.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2007 12:13:43 PM
Author: luckystar112
Update:

Well, she never called this week. So I emailed her and reminded her that my class ended last friday and I''m still available to come in whenever she would like. No response.

I called today and asked if the position was still available and they said no.
7.gif

So now I feel like a huge loser since I haven''t had a job in two weeks and I let myself get all excited about that one. Not to mention I dropped my class for it.
39.gif
Story of my life.

I just wish she could have at least written me back and told me the job was filled. Or not written me and told me she wanted me to meet with her supervisor! I am SO bummed.
7.gif

Awww lucky, that''s really crappy of her. Reflects much more on her than you though.

Why don''t you see if you can add your class a bit late? Or try and find another one at a different school that starts later in the summer?

Best of luck with the job search...

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, Lucky, I can''t believe she did that to you.

I used to teach college English, and we allowed students to add classes up the end of the second week of the semester, or to the end of the first week of summer school. Call your enrollment counselor, or whoever takes care of those things, and ask about their policy, they are likely to let you enroll today if the class just started.

Best of luck to you!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I don't think they will let me, because it's only a six week class in the first place. So missing one day is sort of like missing 3, you know? And I've missed a week already, so it's more like 15 classes.

I don't mind taking it in the fall, but I would have kept it if I knew I wasn't going to get the job!

When I called, I pretended to be a third party just inquiring if the position is still available. (I didn't want to be pushy since I had already emailed her.) Then I talked to my boyfriend, and he was like "Call them and be you!!!" because he thought that maybe they had already given me the position in their minds but not officially. lol.

So I just called, as myself, and talked to the girl that emailed me. She said that a friend of the supervisor is home for college so they just decided to give that girl the job so she can make extra money, but they will be needing someone again when she goes back to school. So I told her to keep me in mind, and she said I would be her first choice and she will call me first thing to find out if I'm still available. And I go, I will MAKE myself available. (Kind of regretting that I said that. Because now it looks like I'd be willing to put someone else in a bad position in order to work for them.) Anyway, then she said she'd talk with her supervisor and email me a "start" date and just confirm the position for me to start at the end of the summer.

So, what the heck am I supposed to do until then? If she's even serious!
I guess I just need to find another job and not think about that position anymore so I don't get my hopes up.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I wouldn''t wait around for that job when it''s not guaranteed. It may seem like the perfect one but you never know...there could be something better. Since you already dropped your summer class, I''d continue looking for a job - either a temporary summer job if you want to continue to wait for golf course receptionist job or a permanent part time job that you can continue working at when you begin school next fall. Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results