shape
carat
color
clarity

Wisdom teeth

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
My younger son is getting all 4 wisdom teeth out. I'm just about to leave to go wait in the car while they put him under (required). I'm nervous when my kids get sedated.

It'll be fine.

What's new with you?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Not a pleasant procedure, hopefully everything goes smoothly and without any complications. Wishing him fast recovery and easy healing.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Not a pleasant procedure, hopefully everything goes smoothly and without any complications. Wishing him fast recovery and easy healing.

Thank you Musia :)

Nervous mama bear.

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Never fun, but sometimes it's a lot better recovery than you'd think!

Depends on how impacted they are, of course, but I had 4 wisdom teeth removed and was eating pizza the next day. :)

Sending thoughts for speedy healing your way

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was 14 when I had all 4 of line pulled out. They had not actually grown into my mouth yet, only visible in x-ray but there was no room for them to come out. I needed to have some bone removed too...I remember the sedation went just fine. Had quite a swollen jaw for a few days, had to eat tofu and yoghurt and stuff. The melting stitches tasted nasty....but overall, the experience was positive. This was.... 25 years ago.

Science has likely advanced since then so all should go well! Good luck!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all. He's the best age to do it they say, 17. The teeth have been bothering him so they've gotta go. They're running behind so we're still both waiting for him to go in an hour later. Anticipatory anxiety. Uggh.

He's young, he should heal like a hot damn.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Just be super careful of him not sucking through a straw or something like that, dealing with a dry socket is very painful! I swear I only drank with a straw once and ended up with a dry socket. They calmed the socket by packing it with some seaweed type solution. Delayed getting them removed til 26 years old I was so scared lol

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Just be super careful of him not sucking through a straw or something like that, dealing with a dry socket is very painful! I swear I only drank with a straw once and ended up with a dry socket. They calmed the socket by packing it with some seaweed type solution. Delayed getting them removed til 26 years old I was so scared lol

Roger that!!!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had mine out when I was about 28 I think. One was impacted and causing pain, the other that side was out, and wasn’t a problem, but I didn’t need it and the other 2 were in the gums, and they took them out. I was quite sore after, and when the stitches tightened up after a week, I took them out myself because the surgeon was away and I couldn’t stand it anymore. I didn’t have any problems with infection or dry socket after.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting an implant and had an extraction just a month ago.
Besides no straws, Dr said to not even spit after brushing as even that slight pressure can impede the gum's healing.
After brushing/flossing the areas not near the wounds, just let liquid drip out your mouth over the sink and wipe with a tissue.

Good luck.

I had all 4 of my 'stupidity' :mrgreen: teeth out when I was 19, in the military overseas.
They put me under general anesthesia so had no experience of the gruesome process. :dance:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My youngest was so funny after the procedure, recovering from the anaesthesia. She started crying about a yellow crayon and she was 16 or 17 too. My oldest had to have hers done in the hospital and I didn't get to see her immediately after. It's a rite of passage I guess.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Whew! He's out and home in bed. The sedation knocked him waaay out and he's pretty groggy. Was trembling and cold and really disoriented. I remember that after childbirth and whatever meds they gave me. Similar thing here. Big breath. That's done.
Thank you all for holding my hand through that. I'm usually a rock but lately, not so much. He's a tiny build for his age.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your boy is home. Not pleasant but better out than it.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad he's out! Hopefully he heals up fast!

Me too! He sure took the sedation hard. I'll have to ask what that was, for future reference.

Made rice pudding and butterscotch pudding. The butterscotch is soupy. Damn.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Glad he is fine. Three of my kids had it done, the fourth will need it in a year or two.

I do want to warn you that is is possible he will wake up tomorrow looking unrecognizably swollen. My two boys were barely swollen, but my daughter was so so so swollen I was really scared! She was fine, she just reacted differently. Nobody told me that there would be that much swelling possible! I remember looking at her while she was freaking out at how her face looked and telling her "No sweetie, you look fine" while in my head also freaking out thinking the surgeon ruined her face!

Swelling only lasted a few days, she healed beautifully :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whew! He's out and home in bed. The sedation knocked him waaay out and he's pretty groggy. Was trembling and cold and really disoriented. I remember that after childbirth and whatever meds they gave me. Similar thing here. Big breath. That's done.
Thank you all for holding my hand through that. I'm usually a rock but lately, not so much. He's a tiny build for his age.

hope he's feeling better soon
defiantly keep an eye on him all day

Gary's grown up daughter needed alot of dentistry work including wisdom teeth extraction before starting chemo and she was so out of it after the anesthetic, when she got home she got out of bed and feel over - lucky her husband was home

one of the few things i can thank genetics for is i have no wisdom teeth and even if i did i have room for them
still I'd rather be tall and pretty :lol-2:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Glad he is fine. Three of my kids had it done, the fourth will need it in a year or two.

I do want to warn you that is is possible he will wake up tomorrow looking unrecognizably swollen. My two boys were barely swollen, but my daughter was so so so swollen I was really scared! She was fine, she just reacted differently. Nobody told me that there would be that much swelling possible! I remember looking at her while she was freaking out at how her face looked and telling her "No sweetie, you look fine" while in my head also freaking out thinking the surgeon ruined her face!

Swelling only lasted a few days, she healed beautifully :)

That's good to know! Hes been told not to talk, and is ignoring that a little. Hard to get him to use the ice packs as much as I think he should. Thanks for the heads up :)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
hope he's feeling better soon
defiantly keep an eye on him all day

Gary's grown up daughter needed alot of dentistry work including wisdom teeth extraction before starting chemo and she was so out of it after the anesthetic, when she got home she got out of bed and feel over - lucky her husband was home

one of the few things i can thank genetics for is i have no wisdom teeth and even if i did i have room for them
still I'd rather be tall and pretty :lol-2:

I hope she's ok? Can I ask why the chemo?
I only had 2, but none would have been even better LOL.

Tall and pretty? I'm middle age now and that ship has sailed but if I could have chosen pretty instead of plain, hell yeah I'll take pretty! I see how that can be an advantage for women.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope she's ok? Can I ask why the chemo?
I only had 2, but none would have been even better LOL.

Tall and pretty? I'm middle age now and that ship has sailed but if I could have chosen pretty instead of plain, hell yeah I'll take pretty! I see how that can be an advantage for women.

poor Melanie got breast cancer at 38
it was very agressive but she beat it and was given the all clear
but unfortunatly it came back 5 years latter last year in her spine and now liver
but she's still doing ok
they won't operate this time but she gets chemo and has had some radiotherapy
i mean she has really bad days especially with pain managment
she recently ended up in the hospice which scared the extended family, but it was because the hospice are experts at pain managment, she's hanging in there, i mean she's not going to get better but i have a freind in NJ with a way too similar and dire story and she is now doing really well at the moment
there is zero cancer in Gary's family buy Melanie was a smoker, she has two kiddies and Kerria (9) is such a mummy's girl, Kaleb is 14, that's way too young to have such a sick mum
Its been hard on Gary, because he's been so unwell himself and then with covid we don't want to risk it for either him or his daughter

i hope your son is feeling better soon

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
but unfortunatly it came back 5 years latter last year in her spine and now liver
but she's still doing ok
she recently ended up in the hospice which scared the extended family, but it was because the hospice are experts at pain managment, she's hanging in there, i mean she's not going to get better but i have a freind in NJ with a way too similar and dire story and she is now doing really well at the moment
there is zero cancer in Gary's family buy Melanie was a smoker, she has two kiddies and Kerria (9) is such a mummy's girl, Kaleb is 14, that's way too young to have such a sick mum
Its been hard on Gary, because he's been so unwell himself and then with covid we don't want to risk it for either him or his daughter

Oh my that is so sad & awful! Wishing her healing and relief from the pain! Hugs hugs hugs!

@Begonia glad he's home & resting- wishing him an easy recovery!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
but she's still doing ok

Oh dear! Sigh. Cancer is a real bitch. I'm sorry she's going thru that and for the worry you all are feeling for her.

My thoughts and prayers to Melanie and all who support her. Hug to you Daisy.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put squishy gel ice packs in stockings and tie gently around his his like below... honestly it's the best to reduce swelling and ease pain. I had all 4 impacted and removed at 18, it was awful and I ate through a straw for nearly a month! Ice cream, custard, jelly, rice pudding, smoothies etc are all idea foods for the first week.

1598582663745.png

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear he's home & doing well!

I had all 4 removed at 21 & 2 were impacted in the bottom. I had to have little bits of jaw bone removed as the pesky roots of the bottom teeth had grown down & hooked under the nerves in my jaw, so they literally needed unhooking like umbrella handles! The alternative was to pull them & risk permanent nerve damage. I had to have my jaw wired for a bit, but it was relatively painless after a couple of days.

The hamster cheeks were unreal - definitely ice his poor cheeks!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
So glad to hear he's home & doing well!

I had all 4 removed at 21 & 2 were impacted in the bottom. I had to have little bits of jaw bone removed as the pesky roots of the bottom teeth had grown down & hooked under the nerves in my jaw, so they literally needed unhooking like umbrella handles! The alternative was to pull them & risk permanent nerve damage. I had to have my jaw wired for a bit, but it was relatively painless after a couple of days.

The hamster cheeks were unreal - definitely ice his poor cheeks!

That sounds like it was a helluva experience Alex! Jeez. Glad it went successfully!!!

Oh boy! Hamster cheeks...
He's not out of bed yet but today is day 2 and steeling myself to expect a lot of swelling. I've been tasked with making more pudding so btwn that, eggs and bananas, He's eating.
Homemade pudding is pretty fabulous. Caramelized sugar for the first yesterday. Made a tasty butterscotch one, but oooooeee was it sweet. Chocolate today and cutting that sugar waaaaaay back

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds like it was a helluva experience Alex! Jeez. Glad it went successfully!!!

Oh boy! Hamster cheeks...
He's not out of bed yet but today is day 2 and steeling myself to expect a lot of swelling. I've been tasked with making more pudding so btwn that, eggs and bananas, He's eating.
Homemade pudding is pretty fabulous. Caramelized sugar for the first yesterday. Made a tasty butterscotch one, but oooooeee was it sweet. Chocolate today and cutting that sugar waaaaaay back

Sounds like your puddings will make the operation VERY worth while! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results