shape
carat
color
clarity

Winter jacket help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Hey ladies! I haven''t popped my head over here before, but I''m hoping you can help me. I''ve got a bit of a quandry and I''m desperately in need of advice.

In December I''m going to visit my family in the Netherlands, and I need a jacket. It will be cold (highs in the 40s, but that''s *if* the sun is out, lows in the teens), with a lot of wind and maybe some freezing rain just for fun. I have nothing that will work for this. I am hoping for something nice and warm that isn''t *too* hideous, and that will keep me nice and toasty while we''re walking around one of the Christmas markets in Germany.

I''m on a budget (under $100 would be amazing, but I''ve got probably around $150 if I *need* to spend it). The other complicating factor is that I don''t know when I''ll be anyplace this cold again, so who knows when it will get used after this. I''d also prefer mid-thigh length since I''m tall and shorter jackets ride up when I move my arms.

Anybody have any ideas? I''ve been looking at the Dory parka from Land''s End, but am really open to just about all options right now.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
So that weather doesn''t sound too bad, except for the wind. Cold wind is the worst! I looked at the Dory and it seems like that would probably hold up pretty well in that weather.
A friend of mine just ordered a coat from Victoria''s Secret and I think it will actually keep her warm(we live up in Alaska, so something warm is mandatory!). She got a Double breasted peacoat and the lining is actually pretty thick. I think something like that could keep you warm and still be pretty stylish. That length is probably too short, but they do have a wool coat that''s longer, I just don''t know if it''s as thick.

Guess has some cute coats that seem pretty warm, but the lengths are a bit short and the prices are a little bit higher.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wind and rain begs Gortex and the like. You "might" be able to find a shell in your price range, then layering underneath it with natural fabrics/sweaters/fleece that will breathe. Unfortunately these high tec products are costly and are often not too fashionable. But shells tend to be lightweight, easy to pack and last forever.

cheers--Sharon

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Princesss, I agree with Canuk on this one. Check out Land''s End for great layering pieces. Columbia is also great in terms of a company that sells pieces that layer, and places like Penney''s starts running pre-winter sales right about now that are would make them right in your price range. My Columbia has an inside jacket that is perfect for running around in that 40 deg high (I wear just this part in spring, here), and then I wear the full thing together as a winter jacket, when we get down to teens below with the windchill.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally bought a new coat last year, and it''s a Columbia w/a zip out vest. It''s windproof so good for pretty much any cold/wet/rainy weather. The one I was going to buy had a zip out fleecy type jacket, but it wasn''t the right color. Both were just under $100 last year, so I''m sure they have new styles, same prices, this year. Lands End and LL Bean have some great jackets/coats also, and I''ve seen longer ones on both of those sites as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results