shape
carat
color
clarity

Windowing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
I first became aware of the window phenomenon when I bought a spinel (grayish purple in sunlight, amethyst purple in tungsten) where I could actually read text through the table.

Right now, I am looking at an eye clean 1.19 ct bluish lavender sapphire, and it is described as having a minimal window, around 10 %. To me, this doesn't sound too bad. What do you think I can expect in terms of windowing in hand? Is it something you think would detract from the beauty of the stone. I have been looking for a purple sapphire or spinel of exactly this colour for a long time, and in all other respects, this looks like it is just the stone for me.

bls.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't look too large a window; with the right setting (something a little enclosed or with a gallery), it will be less noticeable. I don't think it will detract too much from the colour of the spinel. Then again, I'm not fussed on precision cutting. Those who are will probably not accept a window of this size.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim, I think you''re going to get all kinds of answers here, because some cannot stand windowing, and some are more tolerant of it depending on some factors.

For myself, I can stand a little windowing if color is what I''m looking for, and stone is not ridiculously included. As long as the window is small enough to close in a setting, I can be tolerant because in some stones, perfection is way out of reach!!. If its got a big gaping hole even in the setting, uh uh, bye bye stone and they get sent back.

If everything you want in the stone is there but its got a small window, it might be worth seeing it in person, depending on the return policies of the seller.

-A

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can tolerate windowing if the gem otherwise speaks to me. However the colour of the gemstone really does affect the overall "look". Paler colour gemstones will show windows much more than darker ones. Some windows can be hidden with a great setting, others will struggle.

Unfortunately the trilliant you''ve posted is at the lighter end of the spectrum so I suspect that window will be fairly evident. Also, because it''s a trilliant, the facets really show and the lack in the centre is quite apparent (not a technical description but I hope you understand what I mean). I haven''t seen a trilliant setting that would close a window because they tend to have more open backs.

If you can find a setting that is more closed you may stand a chance of minimising it.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your replies! I am not considering a setting for now. I just want something loose for my collection. I have a pear shaped pink sapphire with a tiny window - so tiny that if you hold it over a bit of text, you won''t be able to read it. That is not the case with my spinel, mind you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The symmetry of the faceting is also very off. I''m not a person hung up on precision cuts, but that would bug me unless it was a color that I had a really difficult time finding, or a very rare color. That sounds like the boat you''re in. What''s the GIA gemset color? He doesn''t have any more that color?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If a stone is lively (scintillating, sparkly) and the color is nice, I don''t mind a small window. A large one, however, is an issue, cause such stones are usually quite dead and lifeless.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, tourmaline_lover and mr. ma re. I don''t mind if the symmetry is slightly off, unless the stone looks lopsided. The colour code is bV*3/3, if that tells you anything. He does have one of the same shape and colour, but it twice the size and three times as expensive. Both are heat treated, but that never bothered me... After all, without heat treaments we would have no tanzanites or paraiba tourmalines. I draw the line at flux healing, be heating, and irradiation.

But I think I will postpone my aquisition of a light violet sapphire for now, as you guys seem to be put off by the imperfections of the cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that color really difficult to find if it''s a 3/3? I think you can find spinels that color as well.

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:12:48 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Is that color really difficult to find if it''s a 3/3? I think you can find spinels that color as well.
I don''t know if it''s that difficult to find, but I''m on a budget, so it hasn''t been too easy so far. I''ve checked out Wild Fish (and Ed has been very helpful) and AJSGems, and neither has anything in my price range. Any suggestions are welcome! Again, I love sapphire and spinel equally, and for me, heat treatment doesn''t detract from a sapphire''s appeal (though I wouldn''t pay as much as I would for an unheated stone of similar color, size, and quality, of course!).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results