shape
carat
color
clarity

Will You Watch the Democratic National Convention?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It took me by surprise, but the Democratic National Convention is on televison tonight. I know because I just learned how to work the cable television in the course of having it repaired via telephone and, as I tested whether the remote could change channels, I saw the convention! I had read that Michelle Obama would address the convention, although I do not know when. I am not sure how this came up so suddenly, but the convention is here. Is anyone from Pricescope going to watch it?

Deborah
34.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 8:09:02 PM
Author:AGBF

It took me by surprise, but the Democratic National Convention is on televison tonight. I know because I just learned how to work the cable television in the course of having it repaired via telephone and, as I tested whether the remote could change channels, I saw the convention! I had read that Michelle Obama would address the convention, although I do not know when. I am not sure how this came up so suddenly, but the convention is here. Is anyone from Pricescope going to watch it?

Deborah
34.gif
Well Deb, thanks for the heads up; I will watch both parties to see what they have to say. Thank you!
35.gif
eta: it is on PBS.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard enough... No thanks!
21.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will watch both conventions. Just saw Ted Kennedy speak. What a moment that was.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently I missed Hillary Clinton, who spoke earlier. I caught several US Senators; Jesse Jackson''s son, who is a US Congressman; Caroline and Ted Kennedy; and Michelle Obama; among others. One of the most substantive speeches, in my opinion, was given by a former Republican Comgressman (from Iowa?) who is now supporting Barack Obama. I am not sure that I agree with the stages into which he divided US history, but I found him very interesting and well-read. I would like to see his speech in print so that I can read it at my leisure and pick it apart a bit!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
8/26/2008 1:24:44 AM

Author:
AGBF

One of the most substantive speeches, in my opinion, was given by a former Republican Comgressman (from Iowa?) who is now supporting Barack Obama. I am not sure that I agree with the stages into which he divided US history, but I found him very interesting and well-read. I would like to see his speech in print so that I can read it at my leisure and pick it apart a bit!

The speaker to whom I was referring above is former Representative Jim Leach of Iowa. I found the text of his speech on-line at the, "Denver Post" 's website for anyone who is interested.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_10301317

Deborah
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I know it's history in the making. Some of it. The rest is hype. But. . .

I have a feeling that if fewer people tuned in, these things would be less of a 'performance' and more actual political process. Therefore, I'll read the highlights online, and avoid the 'dog and pony show'.

Same goes for the RNC. I'm an equal opportunity hype avoider.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Watched it, loved it, going to parties at friends'' houses for most nights.
Last time the DNC was here in Boston, a great time, tons of parties, free concerts, (James Taylor and the Black Eyed Peas played at everything), and just a great pep-rally. I got to see Senator Obama''s speech, brought me to tears... Isn''t that what the convention is supposed to be, a pep rally? No one thinks that the conventions are where the platforms are hammered out, that has been worked on for months, this is just a big old party! An infomercial for those folks who still think that they have no available information about Senator Obama...remember the video for Clinton the first time, "The Man from Hope"...it was a tear jerker. Less successful was Kerry''s "reporting for duty."

I also watch the Republican Convention, to see what they have to say.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 1:24:44 AM
Author: AGBF

Apparently I missed Hillary Clinton, who spoke earlier. I caught several US Senators; Jesse Jackson''s son, who is a US Congressman; Caroline and Ted Kennedy; and Michelle Obama; among others. One of the most substantive speeches, in my opinion, was given by a former Republican Comgressman (from Iowa?) who is now supporting Barack Obama. I am not sure that I agree with the stages into which he divided US history, but I found him very interesting and well-read. I would like to see his speech in print so that I can read it at my leisure and pick it apart a bit!

Deborah
34.gif
Hillary''s big speech should be on tonight.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Ted Kennedy hopes to be around for January assuming Obama wins. I missed him, did he look okay? I know they operated but was not sure about his prognosis.

somehowcollide

Brilliant_Rock
Hillary was spectacular!
36.gif
She''s a great orator, and Bill was grinning like a proud papa.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Props to Hillary. She did an amazing job. I almost started to like her!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Her speech was a home run.

Seeing her daughter and hubby beam at her with pride was wonderful and I bet you many of those in attendance were wishing it was HER convention.

She seemed on fire and very capable to me.

Not once did she discuss BO being fit to lead, but she did talk a lot about herself and about her candidacy...and said if you wanted HER, now that she is out it must be BO who gets the vote.

I have to say I was impressed by her, and the woman at the end, the Hillary delegate who was in tears, was pretty stunning to me.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 11:33:18 PM
Author: diamondfan

I have to say I was impressed by her, and the woman at the end, the Hillary delegate who was in tears, was pretty stunning to me.

She reminded me of many of those people that gossip show/blogs/mags pull from the streets ranting about the likes of Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan. I mean, almost to a T she reminded me of one of those videos I saw. The fact that she is a delegate scared the living crap out of me. Unreal. Ironically, her view of Hillary seem much more about celebrity obsession than anything I've seen of Obama. The logic was gone. I am so glad Hillary made it a point to say, 'Were you here for me or..." and gave the list of causes/people that she has said she spent her life fighting for. That's what's so crazy to me about these PUMA people. Do you want the person, or what that person believes in and wants to accomplish?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
But Hillary never said she felt he is ready to lead this country. I found that to be very interesting. She said many things, and spoke very wonderfully. She said the Dems must unite, and that means backing him now. She spoke of her views, and that if one supported her then, they must chose him now as she is not in it. But I did not hear, he has what it takes to run this country.

I could see her being up there someday, she really wowed me tonight in a way she has never done in the past. I am still fiscally a Republican, but have voted democratic many times. She really showed a side to herself tonight that I think she should have shown more during the primaries.

I think this speech, not matter what happens, will be a major point in her career.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I watched it, but she immediately p*ssed me off from the very beginning. As soon as she dived into the everybody-is-helpless, nobody-can-take-care-of-him/herself rhetoric I spent more time looking at my ceiling than the screen due to the massive amounts of eye-rolling. I wish she would save herself the embarrassment of talking about women's rights. Especially when Bill is over on the sidelines mouthing "I love you". Give me a break, I can't take the fake factor.

I have no doubt she's hoping that Obama loses so she can run in 2012 or even 2016.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think she needed to say he was ready to lead. Fox made the same comment and I just don''t see why it was necessary to hear. She delivered the speech that should have been given. What I think many people, especially the PUMA people, seem to forget is that if Obama is elected, Hillary''s power rises with his. If you truly stood behind her and what she believed in, you''d work to elect the person that can give her a stronger ability to influence. I wouldn''t doubt her being a member of the cabinet, likely taking over the initiative for Universal Health Care. Also, Hillary worked with Obama for years, that whole ''not ready to lead'' bit was BS and she knows it. She knows exactly how the man works and how well he works. She knows good and well that the man is tough when it comes to writing legislation (far tougher than she is, but she plays a good game).

Oh and she knows, Bill knows, and the Obamas know that one of the main reasons why she wasn''t chosen as VP is that there was no way in hell the Clintons wanted to release the details of Bill''s financial records. A VP slot just isn''t worth that. Now, if only her die hard supporters would understand that instead of insisting she was somehow passed over.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
She said what needed to be said, what was expected of her, without actually pointing to any of the the supposed strengths, qualities, or characteristics that would make Obama a good president. Indeed, she never said he would make a good president. And that was on purpose. In fact, if you watch the video again, you will notice that she interjected herself (by way of subtle, almost invisible comparison) into every remark she made about Obama. "I was for _______, so is Obama."

She''s not always a likable person; I don''t always agree with her; but I have to hand it to her . . . she is one smart cookie. Probably the smartest person who has ever been on the political stage. She lacks humility, but certainly not brains. She knew exactly how to give this speech tonight, have her moment in the spotlight, take her bows, do her job, without ever really giving the party or Obama what they needed most. And did it so well, they can''t really complain about it, either.

I know; I wasn''t going to watch. Curiosity killed the cat. Meooww.
9.gif

My friend, Congressman Chet Edwards, will be the featured speaker tomorrow around 9 or 9:30pm. Guess I''ll have to watch that too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/27/2008 12:13:36 AM
Author: MoonWater

Oh and she knows, Bill knows, and the Obamas know that one of the main reasons why she wasn''t chosen as VP is that there was no way in hell the Clintons wanted to release the details of Bill''s financial records. A VP slot just isn''t worth that. Now, if only her die hard supporters would understand that instead of insisting she was somehow passed over.
the ONLY reason he didn''t pick her b/c Obama knows Clinton would of been more powerful as a VP than him as President.

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/25/2008 9:14:45 PM
Author: CrookedRock
I''ve heard enough... No thanks!
21.gif
I''m with you!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly, I SO agree. At one point, I could not tell if it was her convention or not. The cheers for her, the video of her life, I was thinking, she really wanted to be the one up there and it almost seems like she was the nominee!

Her speech was genius in terms of power and she got up there and fired away. At times it did not seem that sincere but she worked it. I think she was NOT going to sing his particular praises in terms of his presidential qualities, I do not think she THINKS them. Therefore, this was about, we are Dems, our party is split, we do not want another 4 years of Bush (which there is not a certainty McCain will be this but people do think it so fine), if you wanted me now you have to still vote Democratic, you have to vote for Obama. Nowhere did she discuss HIS skills or traits or anything. Her speech was well delivered and was very much about her and her run. There were a couple of shots of Michelle O shown and she did not look so thrilled. She delivered, and it will be a critical pivotal moment for her political career. They want all the Hillary supporters who might vote for McCain to not do it, and she was sent in to seal the deal. We have not heard the last from her on the larger political stage for sure. Some of the rhetoric annoyed me, comments about our future etc, do Republicans not have children and grandchildren? Do they not want clean water and air and a nice world for THEM? Major drama there. But it sounds good!!!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Hillary interjected herself because she was addressing a specific group of troubled people: her supporters that claim they will not vote or will vote for McCain. That was an extremely smart move on her part and I wouldn''t doubt that her people and Obama''s people worked collectively on that idea. (Incidentally, this was one of her best speeches, did she get new writers? Who''s writers?) She needed to remind them that if they want it to be all about her, they need to remember what it is she stood for and why voting for the "enemy" accomplishes nothing. I''m typically far more cynical about the Clintons but I certainly didn''t get the vibe that she was trying to diminish Obama in anyway. She never needed to point to Obama''s strengths, qualities, or characteristics. The whole darn convention is about doing that and everyone stated, prior to the convention starting, that this it would be shared with Clinton as a show of respect for her historic bid. Her speech fell right in line with this theme.

Re: More power as VP. That''s the thing, if the President doesn''t want you to have power, you won''t. Just ask Al Gore (and I certainly wonder if Bill could have won''t the election without him).

Re: Michelle, I thought she looked moved on several occasions by Clinton''s speech. I thought she looked proud as well. Not sure why it seemed she looked unthrilled. She''s looked similarly when Obama has spoken, concentrating, listening intently.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Echoing Moonwater!
Hillary had to address the issue of her diehard delegates not wanting to support Obama...she had to give them a way of moving on gracefully. How could they say, "no, we were working for Hillary, not the tired, poor, sick, homeless people of our country" They have to move on, she is not going to be on the ballot.

Looking at the pic of protesters, and thinking of Hillary voters who refuse to vote for Obama I am reminded of when working for Gore''s campaign and PETA kept protesting at our gatherings. They didn''t protest against Bush, just Gore, in rabbit suits covered in red paint. Shrieking about how they couldn''t vote for someone who supported testing human medications on animals... The other Gore staffers and I screamed back, "do you think Bush gives a ____ about your bunnies!?" Also when going door to door with MoveOn, I love when people living in housing projects (paid for by other taxpayers) who are going to vote for "whoever doesn''t raise my taxes." They don''t pay taxes, taxes pay for their living quarters and perhaps food and health, and definitely schools, roads, sewers, etc. Sometimes people just don''t seem to be thinking...or their voting thinking process is akin to cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 2:00:31 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

the ONLY reason he didn''t pick her b/c Obama knows Clinton would of been more powerful as a VP than him as President.
I think it was because it would cause many Republicans who are thinking about voting for Obama to run the other way screaming!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think she needed to say he was ready to lead. Fox made the same comment and I just don''t see why it was necessary to hear. She delivered the speech that should have been given. What I think many people, especially the PUMA people, seem to forget is that if Obama is elected, Hillary''s power rises with his. If you truly stood behind her and what she believed in, you''d work to elect the person that can give her a stronger ability to influence. I wouldn''t doubt her being a member of the cabinet, likely taking over the initiative for Universal Health Care. Also, Hillary worked with Obama for years, that whole ''not ready to lead'' bit was BS and she knows it. She knows exactly how the man works and how well he works. She knows good and well that the man is tough when it comes to writing legislation (far tougher than she is, but she plays a good game).

I think she was very careful not to state Obama was ready to lead because that would make the media bring up all of her past speeches/statements where she said the very opposite. It was important for her to state it if she truly believed in Obama, but I think she just wants her party to win. Also, with Obama''s own VP calling him inexperienced just last year, it would''ve been nice to hear his ex-opponent praise his abilities.

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/26/2008 11:50:44 PM
But Hillary never said she felt he is ready to lead this country. I found that to be very interesting. She said many things, and spoke very wonderfully. She said the Dems must unite, and that means backing him now. She spoke of her views, and that if one supported her then, they must chose him now as she is not in it. But I did not hear, he has what it takes to run this country.

I could see her being up there someday, she really wowed me tonight in a way she has never done in the past. I am still fiscally a Republican, but have voted democratic many times. She really showed a side to herself tonight that I think she should have shown more during the primaries.

I think this speech, not matter what happens, will be a major point in her career.
Maybe that''s because she didn''t want to have something like that on tape to resurface in 4 years?

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
It was a great speech & I felt it the way the woman who was interviewed & was crying, did. Pushing aside all the political crap she genuinely cares about our country & when she flat out said it herself months ago that is when I knew I wanted her to be our president.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
The women of the XX Factor on Slate have written some really great stuff during the course of this election thus far. They all blogged about their opinions about Clinton''s speech and all but one criticised her for not giving the ''ready to lead'' line. I completely and whole heartedly agreed with the one woman that did not have that complaint. You can read all of the blogs here: XX Factor on Hillary''s Speech

And I will quote the comments of the first woman who blogged, Melinda Henneberger:

Props to the lady in the electric pumpkin pantsuit. Because as Barack Obama''s mama used to tell him, a little guilt is good for you. And Mama Hillary spelled that out again tonight, signaling to her people with all the subtlety of her bright orange outfit that if they want to leave her sitting home alone in the dark while they go running after that John McCain, well that''s fine, no problem at all, really, because she''s hardly done anything for them—other than work her heart out for 35 years. Oh, and it''s only the FUTURE OF THE WORLD at stake: "I haven''t spent the last 35 years in the trenches, advocating for children, campaigning for universal health care, helping parents balance work and family, and fighting for women''s rights here at home and around the world, to see another Republican in the White House ... No way, no how, no McCain.'''' Are we clear? "Were you in this campaign just for me?'''' Nooooo, you were better than that, surely? "This won''t be easy; progress never is. But it will be impossible unless we put a Democrat in the White House.'''' Any questions? She was gracious to Michelle Obama, generous to Joe Biden and the first to lay a finger on John McCain: "In 2008, he still thinks it''s OK that women don''t earn equal pay ... With an agenda like that, it''s no wonder George W. Bush and John McCain will be together in the Twin Cities next week; it''s awfully hard to tell them apart ... We don''t have a moment to lose or a vote to spare ...'''' Case closed.

After reading the complaints of the other women, Melinda followed up with this comment and I could not agree more:

Yeah, and she might also have whipped us up an omelet while she was up there, with feta, maybe, a little spinach, and some whole wheat toast would have been nice. But I personally am glad that Hillary did not sing any hosannas to Obama, or even try to sell us on how wonderful he is. Why? Because this was her Moonstruck moment, her last best chance to slap some sense into her crowd—metaphorically, of course—and scream "Snap out of it!" as if she were Cher and they were Nicolas Cage. To have done that and then pivoted to a sales pitch? Nope, she made the right call.

She gave the right speech. One of the best decisions she made during this entire campaign.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 9:39:30 AM
Author: BizouMom

Maybe that''s because she didn''t want to have something like that on tape to resurface in 4 years?
Excellent point! If Obama is elected, in 4 years we will be able to see exactly how much change has really occurred. The Clinton Campaign has always been so smart.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2008 12:47:48 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

Date: 8/27/2008 9:39:30 AM
Author: BizouMom

Maybe that's because she didn't want to have something like that on tape to resurface in 4 years?
Excellent point! If Obama is elected, in 4 years we will be able to see exactly how much change has really occurred. The Clinton Campaign has always been so smart.
Actually the stragegy is if Obama loses, so she could challenge McCain in 4 years. Planning to challenge a sitting president isn't a good strategy at all. Oh and if the Clinton Campaign was smart, they would have ran a better campaign against Obama. Sorry, but it was awful, I expected a lot more from the Clintons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results