shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this look okay in a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
So, I''ve been looking at a sapphire from Wildfish. It''s a beautiful stone, but since I want to use this for a ring, I am concerned how the shape of the stone will look in a setting.

Here''s a link to images of the stone: Sapphire Images

It seems with most stones, the base tapers to a point and with this stone, it seems to have a rather thick and flat-ish bottom. Will this look weird in a ring?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think so, if anything, it adds interest to the side view.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will only look weird if, when you look through the table, you can see a large space - and in the photos it doesn''t look like that will be the case.

It looks like a modified cushion so if you look at cushion cut stones in settings it''ll give you an idea.

Hope that''s helped.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone. I''m no expert but personally since I don''t know much about setting gems I too would be worried about the shape creating problems.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are many variations for each of the basic shapes to cut a stone. Ovals, pears and cushions may come to a point or to a keel (the long flat peak at the bottom). This does change the way the stone behaves, but it doesn''t affect the way a stone is set. The only impact I can see is if you are choosing a very open setting, which shows off the cutlet, in which case you will see a different profile.

Interesting cut, by the way. How does the stone perform?

heyjudes

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 5:58:14 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Interesting cut, by the way. How does the stone perform?

I''m not quite sure what you mean by perform Lady Disdain. I am still trying to decide if this is stone will work, so I haven''t purchased it yet.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
it''s a really interesting looking stone - very pretty

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s very common for stones like sapphires to be cut bottom-heavy, to preserve more weight so that sellers can charge more for them. But that can also serve the purpose of making the color seem somewhat richer, but it''s not a rule. I think this stone would be quite lovely in a ring, cause it''s got a lot of nice features and an unusual color, so a bit of a strange profile wouldn''t really concern me that much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results