shape
carat
color
clarity

Will this fit?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
My green tourmaline from Jeff White hasn''t come yet but I''m still looking for settings for it. I really love the tiffany legacy setting that LOGR has.

So my question. My tourmaline is a 6.8mm cushion. Will it fit into the 7mm PRONG set LOGR setting? I''m guessing it will but thought I would ask to be on the safe side. I know I could always customize the ring but why pay extra if not needed.

My Tourmaline:

greentourmjeffsarah.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
LOGR Legacy Setting:

sarahlegacy021.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might have to go with a 6x6 mm setting because your 6.8 mm measurement is taken at the fattest rounded sides. If you measure from corner to corner at the top or bottom, it is probably closer to 6 mm square. I have experience with this before with my 9.6 mm square pillowy cushion Jeff White spessartite. It "fell" through the 10 mm setting but fits the 9 mm setting perfectly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it might be a tad bit small. Believe it or not, something closer to a 7.5 would fit perfectly in there. I have two of these settings.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
That is such a beautiful green tourmaline. Gorgeous combination of cut and colour!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the stone. Interesting info on the settings. Wow this can be so hard sometimes. Good Luck!!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 8:08:11 AM
Author: Chrono
You might have to go with a 6x6 mm setting because your 6.8 mm measurement is taken at the fattest rounded sides. If you measure from corner to corner at the top or bottom, it is probably closer to 6 mm square. I have experience with this before with my 9.6 mm square pillowy cushion Jeff White spessartite. It 'fell' through the 10 mm setting but fits the 9 mm setting perfectly.

I never even thought of that. I will have to measure the corner to corner then when it is recieved to see what will work. Thank you Chrono!

LTP- are you out there?! I know you are the perfect person to ask this question too!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok so Jeff just emailed me and corner to corner by cushion is 7.5mm. What size legacy should I get? Or should I custom?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will fit because I once had a cushion that was close to 8mm, brought it in with that very same mount to the jewelers, and they said it was a perfect fit.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
TL- So you are saying that I should go with the 7mm correct? Sorry I just want to make sure!

Thank you!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2009 11:01:59 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
TL- So you are saying that I should go with the 7mm correct? Sorry I just want to make sure!

Thank you!
Yes, the 7mm. You''re welcome.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL! Sorry it has been a long day...and it is only half over! I appreciate your advise! I will order the setting when i get back from vacation. I can''t wait for my first LOGR legacy ring! I think they are stunning!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m planning on setting a round diamond in that very setting. It''s a colored diamond, so I just hope it goes with the white metal.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh that sounds like it will be lovely. I do like the idea of having contrasting shapes in the legacy. Out of curiousity how did you figure out what size to go with? I you have a 6.55 round gemstone what legacy ring size did you get?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 12:05:30 AM
Oh that sounds like it will be lovely. I do like the idea of having contrasting shapes in the legacy. Out of curiousity how did you figure out what size to go with? I you have a 6.55 round gemstone what legacy ring size did you get?
It's art deco inspired to have a squarish halo with a round stone. The Legacy setting itself is Edwardian inspired. I like the antique appeal of it. I think you have lots of leeway with a round stone, more so than a cushion, with the legacies. I think my diamond, which is 7.3mm in diameter, will fit fine though. I have a 9mm round stone that I plunked into the 8mm legacy and it fit perfectly.

Nice minty stone btw. Did you get it yet?

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
I have a very basic question - would a 6.98mm princess cut stone fit into the same setting?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 12:11:31 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 11/4/2009 12:05:30 AM
It''s art deco inspired to have a squarish halo with a round stone. The Legacy setting itself is Edwardian inspired. I like the antique appeal of it. I think you have lots of leeway with a round stone, more so than a cushion, with the legacies. I think my diamond, which is 7.3mm in diameter, will fit fine though. I have a 9mm round stone that I plunked into the 8mm legacy and it fit perfectly.

Nice minty stone btw. Did you get it yet?
I haven''t gotten it yet because Jeff is also in the process of cutting me another stone so I want to ship them at the same time....but I"m dying to see them!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, SarahBear, you sure do have some fun stuff getting ready to come in! Looking forward to seeing all of it when it does.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 4:10:34 AM
Author: virgoruby
I have a very basic question - would a 6.98mm princess cut stone fit into the same setting?
I would hesitate putting a princess cut in that setting because it''s square. If you look at the setting it''s a cushion shape so what you might find is that at the edges of the princess you''ll see part of the setting underneath. I have one of these settings and they''re very fluid - no straight edges. I personally would go with one of their straight edge settings made specifically for a princess (and a 7mm setting will work).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2009 4:10:34 AM
Author: virgoruby
It might fit or it might not; it’s difficult for me to make out the “basket” of the setting. It looks like this setting is made for a cushion, so I don’t recommend getting it for your stone. When shopping for a setting for a princess stone, you’ll need a base that is square. If you set princess cut in a cushion setting, you’ll see the rounded part of the basket underneath and some people find it unsightly to see that. It’s best to get a setting made especially for a princess cut stone and 7 mm is fine for yours.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always wondered, when measuring do you measure side to side or corner to corner across the stone to determine setting size?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For setting size, I measure tip to tip, or point to point across the stone. Side to side will not be accurate since some cushions have fatter sides while others might have a straighter side.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would re-think putting a sharp cornered stone, other than a sapphire or diamond, into a setting with four prongs. Even if it gets set perfectly you still only have a very small area...less than 1/4 of a prong holding that stone on each side of the corner. You also have any forces that are introduced to that stone concentrated right at the weakest, thinnest, part of the stone, making it much more prone to breakage should it get a hard knock. If it doesn't cost much more I'd suggest having LOGR make that a double prong per corner setting. That way the stone has much more support, increasing the durability of the piece by a factor of four at least.

Edited to say that you could also have the cutter put a very small flat at each corner, if you want to keep the setting the way it is. Those sharp corners just make me nervous looking at them.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2009 7:41:28 PM
Author: Michael_E
I would re-think putting a sharp cornered stone, other than a sapphire or diamond, into a setting with four prongs. Even if it gets set perfectly you still only have a very small area...less than 1/4 of a prong holding that stone on each side of the corner. You also have any forces that are introduced to that stone concentrated right at the weakest, thinnest, part of the stone, making it much more prone to breakage should it get a hard knock. If it doesn''t cost much more I''d suggest having LOGR make that a double prong per corner setting. That way the stone has much more support, increasing the durability of the piece by a factor of four at least.

Edited to say that you could also have the cutter put a very small flat at each corner, if you want to keep the setting the way it is. Those sharp corners just make me nervous looking at them.
Thanks Michael. i was actually thinking about requesting the double prong as I like the look of it. Thank you for your input.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarah I''m so glad you''re going with the double prongs. So cool to get advise from a cutter on how to set a stone and of course I just want to see how the double prongs look with that setting.
2.gif
TFS!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For pointy corners, I usually prefer to play it safe and use chevron or V prongs for maximum protection.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results