shape
carat
color
clarity

will NYC/Manhattan real estates go down ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with all these big financial institutions disappearing in the pass few months?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not just NY. Hubby talked to his brother last night, and his DIL''s father was down in Florida last week. Beachfront condos, normally starting at 500,000 were severely discounted. He picked one up for the bargain basement price of 150,000.
6.gif

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
I''ve already noticed a drop in prices for the units in our condominium.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
NYC prices should soften. Many people either out of work, reduced bonus or just reluctant to take on a bigger property. However, I doubt a real estate wipeout is in store.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like certain things might move a bit but not tons. Florida has been in the toilet for a long time now.

We were at the beach over the summer and saw some homes, prices were down a bit but not much. Now I am curious what the impact of these financial crises will be. Hard to know, seems like it does not go down when I am the one looking at something. But really, it has to have some ripple effect.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 11:27:18 AM
Author: Beacon
NYC prices should soften. Many people either out of work, reduced bonus or just reluctant to take on a bigger property. However, I doubt a real estate wipeout is in store.
Has that ever happened in NYC?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 11:16:51 AM
Author: Ellen
Not just NY. Hubby talked to his brother last night, and his DIL''s father was down in Florida last week. Beachfront condos, normally starting at 500,000 were severely discounted. He picked one up for the bargain basement price of 150,000.
6.gif
Where in Florida? I want one.

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I hope so. $2000 / square foot in manhattan is ridiculous.

But i doubt it will soften that much, especially with the government protecting the banks. Why do you think all the NY congresspeople voted Yes yesterday?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2008 12:35:16 PM
Author: Harriet

There have been bad times, especially in the mid seventies, the late eighties. In the aftermath of 1987 crash many people lost their job. As I recall smaller apts, like studios and one bedrooms fell worst.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
They already have been for the last several months. See curbed.com

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2008 12:35:16 PM

oh yes, i remember maybe like 20 yrs ago when Donald Trump was walking down the street in NYC with his wife,he pointed this panhandler saying...you know honey this guy is in better financial shape than i''am at least he''s not $300 million in debt.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
It already has. People are selling before they go into or are in the middle of foreclosures. Co-op boards are now rejecting wall streeters because they stopped considering their bonuses as part of their incomes. The financial sector here accounts for something like 10% of the buyers so they just slammed the door in our faces. There''s no choice but to lower prices. The question is how much lower? I haven''t seen a significant difference.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
"Beachfront condos, normally starting at 500,000 were severely discounted. He picked one up for the bargain basement price of 150,000."

I am interested in this as well. Seriously. Can you provide more info?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm wondering about an extreme decline a la South Florida.

P.S. Beacon, remember my previous rental? Apparently, the price has dropped from $1.88 (insider price) to $1.2m. Only 6 out of 15 units required for conversion have been sold.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LA and Beth, hubby didn''t say where, don''t know if his brother told him, or knew exactly. I will see what I can find out.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just asked hubby, it was in Tampa. And I forgot an important point, this was completely furnished.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 8:17:22 AM
Author: Ellen
I just asked hubby, it was in Tampa. And I forgot an important point, this was completely furnished.

23.gif
, the humidity would kill me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2008 9:55:16 PM
Author: elle_chris
It already has. People are selling before they go into or are in the middle of foreclosures. Co-op boards are now rejecting wall streeters because they stopped considering their bonuses as part of their incomes. The financial sector here accounts for something like 10% of the buyers so they just slammed the door in our faces. There''s no choice but to lower prices. The question is how much lower? I haven''t seen a significant difference.
depending on how over priced was the properties.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Big surprise. We are not nibbling as we expect further downside.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I heard some realtor report on the news yesterday and they were actually reporting the average price/psf was up from something like $1,150 to $1,190. I didn''t hear who the person was. I found it kind of hard to believe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 6:17:07 PM
Big surprise. We are not nibbling as we expect further downside.
Sounds like you guys were very smart to wait to buy. You should have a good opportunity to buy soon, it sounds like.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There will be more clarity about the housing market here come year end. Right now, we're doing research into the South Florida market.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/4/2008 9:21:27 PM
There will be more clarity about the housing market here come year end. Right now, we''re doing research into the South Florida market.
Sounds like a good time to buy vacation property as well!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Yes - we''ve dropped 9.4% in central London. Can''t believe that NY doesn''t have the exact same problems...

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
NYC reaching a slowdown? the prices don''t drop as dramatically as other areas,

the inventory goes really low and helps to stabalize the prices somewhat.

alot of owners will rent rather than sell, which keeps inventory down too.

if it does get soft, foreign investors buy up more apartments..... which also keeps the pricing from getting too soft.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 9:45:08 PM
Author: Eva17
NYC reaching a slowdown? the prices don''t drop as dramatically as other areas,

the inventory goes really low and helps to stabalize the prices somewhat.

alot of owners will rent rather than sell, which keeps inventory down too.

if it does get soft, foreign investors buy up more apartments..... which also keeps the pricing from getting too soft.
don''t count on it...the whole world is in a recession.

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
DF: Someone better clue her in on that dollar rally and oil price drop. That "foreigners will buy" thing is so 2007.

It''s a profoundly wrong time to be buying real estate anywhere IMO.

www.patrick.net (see the left hand column)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results