shape
carat
color
clarity

Will I lose stone in an eternity band?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I am planning to get my fiance a 1.0ct shared prong eternity band for her wedding ring, but I am being warned by everyone that I come in contact with that she will lose some of the stone at some point. Everyone is suggesting an anniversary band that does not make a complete circle. I plan to buy from signed pieces; they seem to be reliable and I''ve never seen a complaint regarding lost stones. So, how much of a concern is lossing stones?

thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is definitely the possibility of losing a stone but it depends on how well the ring is made, how the stones are set...aka prong set is more secure than pave..etc.

There are actually many threads on eternity rings and some of them have information re: lost stones...I don''t know of many lost stones that have happened in something like a basic eternity ring though, most of them were in encrusted pave rings or something. I have a prong set eternity ring and haven''t lost a stone in 3 years, knock on wood!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted an eternity band for my wedding ring, but somehow, I tend to bang my hands up a lot. Also, I just don''t like the way they feel on my finger, so I am opting for a half-eternity band. But I don''t think losing stones is that big of a deal. I''ve heard of it in a few cases, but not many. My mom has had one for four years now and hasn''t had any problems.

Agape

Rough_Rock
I have always loved the look of them, but everytime I asked somethone i they like thiers, they always complained that they need to replace a diamond or two. Granted the stones are not very big, but losing a few can get costly. Wen I replaced my set a found a jrewerlrer who guarenteed the stones and the settings. If I reer lose one they replace it for free. I have to pay for a service plan, but I am kind of rough on my rings, so the piece of mind is woth it :)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have only heard of one person losing a stone in a shared prong setting here on Pricescope and she lost it in her ultrasonic cleaner. I don''t think it a common problem but you could always get something like Mara''s that has 4 prongs holding in each stone rather than a shared set. Also, I think some people are really hard on their rings which can cause the prongs to move which would increase the possibility to a lose a stone. If the person wearing the ring isn''t foolish in how she wears it, I wouldn''t worry about it too much
1.gif

Dee Jay

Shiny_Rock
When I had my shared prong eternity band made the jeweler said, matter-of-factly, "Just come on back when you lose a stone and I''ll take care of it." I didn''t think anything of it at the time, then about a year later I looked down and--voila!--gaping hole where one of the stones used to be. Took it back, he replaced the stone, and I had a perfect ring back the next day. That was four years ago, and no more lost since then (knock on wood!). I do have to confess that I am very hard on my jewelry (you should see the way I chipped up my sapphire!) so that probably has a lot to do with it.

P.S. - My cleaning lady actually found the stone a year later somewhere in my house. Can you imagine? I probalby walked right over it a thousand times and never even noticed it!

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3/4 pave eternity band, I check it daily for missing stones...hasn''t happened yet (although I''ve only had it for 3 months). I''m sure one day I''ll check and I will find one missing.

If it''s what you want then I''d say go for it. I mean, there''s always going to be a chance of any stone falling out.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 2 eternity bands from SP and haven''t lost a stone yet.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Something to consider about a full eternity is comfort. I opted for 1/2 around. Personally, I found that the all the way around w/ diamonds uncomfortable. I''ve never lost a stone in 20+ years.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 8:28:23 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I have only heard of one person losing a stone in a shared prong setting here on Pricescope and she lost it in her ultrasonic cleaner. I don''t think it a common problem but you could always get something like Mara''s that has 4 prongs holding in each stone rather than a shared set. Also, I think some people are really hard on their rings which can cause the prongs to move which would increase the possibility to a lose a stone. If the person wearing the ring isn''t foolish in how she wears it, I wouldn''t worry about it too much
1.gif
Yes, I lost a stone in my US cleaner. It was only about a month after I got the ring too. Thankfully, the stone was in my US cleaner and I brought it in to my jeweler and got it fixed. Now it''s back to new and I haven''t had any problems yet (knock on wood!) I usually clean my rings with the US cleaner every 2 days so I make sure to check for missing stones after each time. I figure that if I lose a stone again there''s a high probability it''ll be in my US cleaner and it I really lose a stone, then the cost to replace it is minimal since it''s 3 pointers. If your fiance wants an eternity band then get it! Don''t worry about losing a stone. I have no regrets!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
I just want to mention something (and sorry if I missed it already being said)...

But I think a lot of missing stones (obviously not all!) could be avoided if you have your jewelry inspected every six months or so. That way, if a stone or two is loose, the jeweler can just tighten the prongs.
1.gif
So basically, this is just a plug to make sure you have your e-ring and wedding band checked in order stop preventable loses. Of course, this doesn''t mean that you will never lose a stone, but it will sure up your chances! I would just kick myself if I could have done something to prevent my loss
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something in the message sounds odd: it doesn''t sound right that whether the ring is half or full circle makes any difference for how stable the stones are. There may be another things to mention about full-circle diamond ring: that they cannot be sized, or that the larger one tend to be thick and keep fingers apart (1-2 ctw shouldn''t have that problem).

Otherwise as long as the setting is half decent, these rings don''t sound ''fragile'' at all. Quite on the contrary.

The one thing that may make an eternity setting feeble enough to bend out of shape and loose the stone is low quality - esp. thin, light weight frame or sloppy setting. maybe the jeweler knows what they have and wants to warn you off a bad choice without so many words
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results