shape
carat
color
clarity

Why PS is important to me

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
This is an open letter to all of PS not just the ATW thread:

I think we are all just about the smartest group of people on any blog/forum, anywhere. We''re pretty well educated and informed; we read for edification and enlightenment as well as pleasure; we watch the news pretty carefully. We don''t always see world and national events through the same filter; but we do make educated decisions for ourselves based upon what we see. Because we are very intelligent, we are also willing and able to defend our beliefs and to appreciate those on the opposite side of the fence who can do the same. It is perhaps then a normal by-product of our beliefs and intelligence, that we become ''spirited'' in our debates with each other. Which one of us doesn''t enjoy our own (or someone else''s) "oh, SNAP!" comment that pins the tail on the proverbial donkey? If we''re honest, we can all admit to a certain level of satisfaction in creating a snappy rejoinder to a post we find a bit too full of itself.

I prefer to think that we do these things because we enjoy the process; not because we are ''out to get'' someone. I prefer to believe that we all appreciate each other''s intellect, if not each other''s politics; and that when we get a little too passionate in defending our position, it is not with the intent to ''draw blood'' from our opponent.

I''ve taken stock of my recent comments about remaining a PS member, and what I believed to be going wrong here. I''d like to share with you what I''ve decided.

PS is a great community; one of the best online communities ever. Many members agree that they''ve tried other forums; we''re tops. Head and shoulders above the rest. Do you know why? Because we care. Someone has a question? We''ve got answers. Maybe too many
28.gif
, but we have them. Someone has serious problems? We''ve got empathy and thoughtful advice. Someone''s experiencing tragedy? We''re praying ''round the clock with them. Natural disasters? We offer up our homes to evacuees (bless you, luckystar112).

We''ve celebrated each other''s engagements, weddings, anniversaries, babies, promotions, and new homes. We''ve prayed/mourned with one another through illnesses, deaths, divorces, miscarriages, disasters, and countless other problems. We are family; if not in the physical sense, certainly in the emotional sense.

This is what I''ve decided: I need my family. I hope you all feel that way, too. There is something very comforting about being able to sit down anywhere, anytime, and log on to PS, and find someone at the other end. Whatever is going on with us, even if all we need is company, we know we can find solace, friendship, empowerment, hope and more here at PS. How awesome is that?!

I want you all to know that I value each and every one of you; I care about who you are and what makes you tick; I accept you just as you are, regardless of our ''differences''; and I consider all of you to be my friends. I hope I am yours.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi there Holly, I do not read Around the World (to help me stay calm during the election) haha, but I do want to say you are part the PS family to me!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly,
''What a lovely post. I''m glad you are part of the PS family.
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
I love you Holly for many reasons, not the least of which is you didn''t drink the kool-aide
2.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 7:38:17 PM
Author: purrfectpear
I love you Holly for many reasons, not the least of which is you didn''t drink the kool-aide
2.gif
Thank you sweetie. I love you too; but I''m including everyone in my group hug here. Even Moon.
28.gif
She likes me; she''s just shy.
3.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 6:37:18 PM
Author:HollyS

I think we are all just about the smartest group of people on any blog/forum, anywhere. We''re pretty well educated and informed; we read for edification and enlightenment as well as pleasure; we watch the news pretty carefully. We don''t always see world and national events through the same filter; but we do make educated decisions for ourselves based upon what we see. Because we are very intelligent, we are also willing and able to defend our beliefs and to appreciate those on the opposite side of the fence who can do the same. It is perhaps then a normal by-product of our beliefs and intelligence, that we become ''spirited'' in our debates with each other. Which one of us doesn''t enjoy our own (or someone else''s) ''oh, SNAP!'' comment that pins the tail on the proverbial donkey? If we''re honest, we can all admit to a certain level of satisfaction in creating a snappy rejoinder to a post we find a bit too full of itself.

I prefer to think that we do these things because we enjoy the process; not because we are ''out to get'' someone. I prefer to believe that we all appreciate each other''s intellect, if not each other''s politics; and that when we get a little too passionate in defending our position, it is not with the intent to ''draw blood'' from our opponent.

I''ve taken stock of my recent comments about remaining a PS member, and what I believed to be going wrong here. I''d like to share with you what I''ve decided.

PS is a great community; one of the best online communities ever. Many members agree that they''ve tried other forums; we''re tops. Head and shoulders above the rest. Do you know why? Because we care. Someone has a question? We''ve got answers. Maybe too many
28.gif
, but we have them. Someone has serious problems? We''ve got empathy and thoughtful advice. Someone''s experiencing tragedy? We''re praying ''round the clock with them. Natural disasters? We offer up our homes to evacuees (bless you, luckystar112).

We''ve celebrated each other''s engagements, weddings, anniversaries, babies, promotions, and new homes. We''ve prayed/mourned with one another through illnesses, deaths, divorces, miscarriages, disasters, and countless other problems. We are family; if not in the physical sense, certainly in the emotional sense.

This is what I''ve decided: I need my family. I hope you all feel that way, too. There is something very comforting about being able to sit down anywhere, anytime, and log on to PS, and find someone at the other end. Whatever is going on with us, even if all we need is company, we know we can find solace, friendship, empowerment, hope and more here at PS. How awesome is that?!

I want you all to know that I value each and every one of you; I care about who you are and what makes you tick; I accept you just as you are, regardless of our ''differences''; and I consider all of you to be my friends. I hope I am yours.

Here, here, HollyS.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely post, and I completely agree!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly, I agree! I love knowing that pretty much where ever I roam, I can log on here and find someone around. It is a great feeling.

What a lovely post. I hope that, as you said, some people just get spirited and really still are open to members here, as I think we all have something of value to add.

Maybe it is just because we ARE all smart and interested and verbal that things sometimes get a bit, how should I put this, heated?

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Love ya Holly!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2008 6:37:18 PM
Author:HollyS

I think we are all just about the smartest group of people on any blog/forum, anywhere. We''re pretty well educated and informed; we read for edification and enlightenment as well as pleasure; we watch the news pretty carefully. We don''t always see world and national events through the same filter; but we do make educated decisions for ourselves based upon what we see. Because we are very intelligent, we are also willing and able to defend our beliefs and to appreciate those on the opposite side of the fence who can do the same. It is perhaps then a normal by-product of our beliefs and intelligence, that we become ''spirited'' in our debates with each other. Which one of us doesn''t enjoy our own (or someone else''s) ''oh, SNAP!'' comment that pins the tail on the proverbial donkey? If we''re honest, we can all admit to a certain level of satisfaction in creating a snappy rejoinder to a post we find a bit too full of itself.

28.gif

Holly, you are.
1.gif

Although you and I sometimes disagree, I think we do have quite a bit in common. If we knew each other IRL, I could see us being friends. (You would be my brutally honest friend who I would take shopping with me when I''m trying to buy jeans that REALLY DON''T make my butt look fat! LOL!)
3.gif
9.gif

And even when I don''t agree with your posts, I almost always find them interesting . . . and maybe even a little entertaining! PS just wouldn''t be PS without ya!
2.gif

((((HUGS))))

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly,

I am sincerely glad you are staying. PS would not be the same without you.

Linda

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2008 9:48:45 PM
Author: Linda W
Holly,

I am sincerely glad you are staying. PS would not be the same without you.

Linda

Most definately! That''s a very well put letter. PS has become such a big joy in my day because of the friendship, listening ears, and overall celebration of love, life, and all that comes with it!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I like my pricescope friends better than my real life friends. Is that bad?
33.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Holly - Well articulated. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I find your posts insightful and real. For this reason, you are an essential part of the PS Community.

While you may not realize it, as people may not have had the courage to share, I''m certain that the transparent and open nature of your posts has helped more than a few people who were really in need of good and honest not placating advice. There should be more people like you that people can call friends in the non-PS world.

I''m going through a rough time right now myself and feeling quite alone as I have been laid off and am still trying to keep a handle on wedding planning and escalating costs & immigration uncertainty so I can''t apply for jobs in the US yet. It is so nice to know that even if I don''t have as much opportunity to socialize with colleagues or friends, who are all employed of course
25.gif
that I can rely on the PS community, as needed to be my company and a form of support.

Again, thanks for writing this heartfelt open letter and reminded us all what we love about PS.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear it Holly.

I always like to read your opinions, although I do not always agree. I''ve been coming to AWW in the hopes of just learning more, but it was getting difficult and annoying to read with the slugfest that you and some others were having. I''d read "let''s all just get along" and everyone would agree, until more insults were hurled the next day.

So I hope you can practice what you''re preaching here, because I would like to continue reading your views without having to duck from flying fists. I enjoy the snappy comeback as much as the next person...and yes, even the snarky ones, but one has to look in the mirror from time to time and understand that what is coming out of her mouth is not snappy nor snarky...it''s vitriol.

I applaud you for looking in the mirror, at this PS community, what it brings to you and what you bring to it. And I''m glad you are sticking around!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we need Holly to
boxinggy2.gif
the Dems.
9.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 12:23:24 AM
Author: LAJennifer
I like my pricescope friends better than my real life friends. Is that bad?
33.gif
haha! that''s funny!
3.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 12:43:34 AM
Author: Sparkalicious
Holly - Well articulated. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I find your posts insightful and real. For this reason, you are an essential part of the PS Community.

While you may not realize it, as people may not have had the courage to share, I''m certain that the transparent and open nature of your posts has helped more than a few people who were really in need of good and honest not placating advice. There should be more people like you that people can call friends in the non-PS world.

I''m going through a rough time right now myself and feeling quite alone as I have been laid off and am still trying to keep a handle on wedding planning and escalating costs & immigration uncertainty so I can''t apply for jobs in the US yet. It is so nice to know that even if I don''t have as much opportunity to socialize with colleagues or friends, who are all employed of course
25.gif
that I can rely on the PS community, as needed to be my company and a form of support.

Again, thanks for writing this heartfelt open letter and reminded us all what we love about PS.
We''re here for you; you can count on PS to keep your spirits up!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 2:45:13 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
we need Holly to
boxinggy2.gif
the Dems.
9.gif
We''re not fighting! We''re ''discussing''.
31.gif
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2008 8:27:36 AM
Author: HollyS

we need Holly to
boxinggy2.gif
the Dems.
9.gif
31.gif
9.gif
Speaking of our ongoing "discussions," Holly . . . when are you going to check in on TGal''s "Can you debate an opposing view" thread? I''m anxiously awaiting your kind words about Obama/Biden!
2.gif
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
IrishGirl: Ha! I''m probably not as ''brutally'' honest in person; none of us are. That''s the problem with internet forums . . . we can''t see the effects our ''honesty'' has on the other person; so we are not deterred. Taking some advice from TGal, I''ll try to remember that when I post. I know, better than anyone, that sometimes I''m a breath of fresh air, and sometimes I''m an ill wind. And I think we can all recognize ourselves in that statement. Well, maybe not Skippy.
9.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2008 8:31:42 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl

Date: 9/24/2008 8:27:36 AM

we need Holly to
boxinggy2.gif
the Dems.
9.gif
31.gif
9.gif
Speaking of our ongoing ''discussions,'' Holly . . . when are you going to check in on TGal''s ''Can you debate an opposing view'' thread? I''m anxiously awaiting your kind words about Obama/Biden!
2.gif
9.gif
I''m thinking; I''m thinking! Be patient!
28.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If someone more technologically adept than myself would like to cut/paste my original post to Hangout, I would appreciate it. There are some PSers who we have scared off of the ATW thread unfortunately, and I would like them to know how much I appreciate them, too.

Cyber-hugs for everyone!
35.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2008 8:37:52 AM
IrishGirl: Ha! I''m probably not as ''brutally'' honest in person; none of us are. That''s the problem with internet forums . . . we can''t see the effects our ''honesty'' has on the other person; so we are not deterred. Taking some advice from TGal, I''ll try to remember that when I post. I know, better than anyone, that sometimes I''m a breath of fresh air, and sometimes I''m an ill wind. And I think we can all recognize ourselves in that statement. Well, maybe not Skippy.
9.gif
Well, I would still want you with me when shopping for jeans! I know you would never let me buy jeans that make my a$$ look like it needs its own ZIP code! LOL!
9.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2008 8:44:11 AM
If someone more technologically adept than myself would like to cut/paste my original post to Hangout, I would appreciate it. There are some PSers who we have scared off of the ATW thread unfortunately, and I would like them to know how much I appreciate them, too.

Cyber-hugs for everyone!
35.gif
Be glad to . . . or at least I''ll give it a shot!
1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Much too early here for kool-aid; but can I save it for later?
2.gif
17.gif

cheers--Sharon

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Holly~I appreciate your post. I do get angry with you, at times. I often don''t know whether to tell you or say nothing. I want you to stay on PS. I want to stay on PS, too. I don''t think it''s drinking the kool aide to refrain from using a 2x4 to get someone''s attention. I haven''t read your other thread. I will. I hope you will take this as my honest, but supportive feedback. We all have a place in this unique community.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I totally agree - thanks for sharing the sentiment!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just bumping this so we can all read Holly''s wonderfully written letter before we participate in the "Debate the Debates" thread tonight . . . especially since most of us will be drinking more than Kool Aid! LOL!
2.gif
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results