shape
carat
color
clarity

why is a tension setting called a tension setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

opfreak

Rough_Rock
Tension would mean Stretching. from what I''ve seen ''tension'' setting are squeeze the diamond which would techincally make them a compression setting, as opposed to tension.

Is there some werid word origin I''m missing?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are right about tension''s meaning. The mis-use of the word in a diamond setting is typical of marketing, not of science. It is more rightly a compression setting.

I do like the sound of tension better than compression..........when push comes to shove
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Not *all* the ring is in compression. If you were to look at a cut through the cross section of the ring, you would find that near the bottom of the shank (opposite the diamond) the metal touching your skin is in tension. But still..it''s a compression spring. So I agree the name is misleading. Maybe because you need to apply a tensile force (that because of the geometry puts the ring in compression) to the ring to set the stone. So it is ''tension set''

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results