shape
carat
color
clarity

Why is a 9x7 cushion setting so hard to find?!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried searching LOGR and lan.b04's stores, and the only cushion setting I found for a 9x7mm cushion stone was a super boring LOGR with some diamond chips and nothing to write home about
14.gif
. The problem is that if I customize, Stephen has really increased his cusomization fees. For example, he will charge the standard $30 for customization fee, and I can calculate the upgraded diamond cost based on his $249/ct he advertises,, but if I'm not increasing the head size by much at all and not upgrading the gold, I calculate out an additional fee that seems astronomical for the tiny amount of gold I'm adding if any at all. I calculated around $100 he wants to charge me to change out a 9x7 oval to a cushion, is there really that much more gold involved???
33.gif
. I suppose this is a hidden cost, and although his prices are good, it bugs me to pay it when I rather find a setting that is already available for a 9x7mm cushion. Does anyone see anything decent out there? I don't. I see a million 9x7 ovals, and cushions for other size cushions, but not for my 9x7 cushion.
15.gif
He won't give me the reason why he's charging me $100 for that extra cost, and I asked him three times. I suppose the price is fair, but then don't hide it. I think that's what bugs me most.
8.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry to hear it!

I''ve found that if I stay in close to what I want say if I''m looking to take a 9x9 cushion to a 9x7, and have a few things changed the charges aren''t too bad.

Maybe because in your case you''re looking changing from oval to rectangle, that could constitute an entire head change. I think that his prices are going up mainly because margins are now tighter than they used to be (not to mention the price of gold).

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 3:07:52 PM
Author: Arcadian
sorry to hear it!

I''ve found that if I stay in close to what I want say if I''m looking to take a 9x9 cushion to a 9x7, and have a few things changed the charges aren''t too bad.

Maybe because in your case you''re looking changing from oval to rectangle, that could constitute an entire head change. I think that his prices are going up mainly because margins are now tighter than they used to be (not to mention the price of gold).

-A
You''re probaby right, I may just have to chuck it and cave in and spend more because no one makes a 9x7 cushion. *sigh* Yeah, I''m very cheap when it comes to settings. LOL! However, in the meantime, if anyone sees any 9x7 cushions I might have missed, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
There is a Stuller mount that says 9 x 7 oval, but it looks more rectangular to me. Link Probably not available at Chinese prices, though.
1.gif
As for your question, I'm guessing that most cushions are square, rather than rectangular.

StullerMount65841_W.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you Arcadian,
I'm not keen on the first one, although it would fit my stone perfectly. It's the only 9x7 cushion mount I could find.
The others are rather expensive, and I wanted to start with something in the low $300's so once the upgrades came around it wouldn't be more than $500. Yes, I'm a cheapskate. I just hate spending a lot on settings, and although the first one is inexpensive, I wanted something with a bit more diamonds and gold. I was even thinking about modifiying the Legacy (yet again). I really love that setting. He quoted me near $500 for doing it with upgraded diamonds. I recently had that same setting modified for my cushion mint tourmaline, but the quote was much less for that, also with the diamond upgrade, and that's a much bigger head than my 9x7 cushion. Prices must really be going up. Thanks to listening to me whine. I appreciate it.
1.gif

I don't think Stuller is as good as LOGR in workmanship based on what Chrono told the forum about her old spessartite setting. Most of these cushion settings just don't do much for me. I might just end up with another modified Legacy. However, I see lots of cushion 8x10's, but no 9x7's. I find that rather odd. Oh well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 4:10:03 PM
Author: colorluvr
Did you do a search on 9x7 emerald cut settings like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emerald-9X11mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring-/390210848775?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item5ada610807

I don''t know what style you are looking for, but I would think tweeking a setting from a corner cut stone to a rounded corner stone like a cushion would cost less than completely replacing a head. just a thought....
Thanks Colorluvr,
I think my stone might look awkward in an emerald cut setting. Again, the modification costs are so high too. I have that setting by the way. My mint beryl is in it.
1.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 6:35:35 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thank you Arcadian,
I''m not keen on the first one, although it would fit my stone perfectly. It''s the only 9x7 cushion mount I could find.

The others are rather expensive, and I wanted to start with something in the low $300''s so once the upgrades came around it wouldn''t be more than $500. Yes, I''m a cheapskate. I just hate spending a lot on settings, and although the first one is inexpensive, I wanted something with a bit more diamonds and gold. I was even thinking about modifiying the Legacy (yet again). I really love that setting. He quoted me near $500 for doing it with upgraded diamonds. I recently had that same setting modified for my cushion mint tourmaline, but the quote was much less for that, also with the diamond upgrade, and that''s a much bigger head than my 9x7 cushion. Prices must really be going up. Thanks to listening to me whine. I appreciate it.
1.gif

I don''t think Stuller is as good as LOGR in workmanship based on what Chrono told the forum about her old spessartite setting. Most of these cushion settings just don''t do much for me. I might just end up with another modified Legacy. However, I see lots of cushion 8x10''s, but no 9x7''s. I find that rather odd. Oh well.
Its not called "being cheap", its called "maximixing your dollar"
22.gif
2.gif

I''ve come to the realization that some of my larger stones my have to sit for a while because buying settings back to back is getting expensive no matter who you go to.

I used a really large emerald cut setting for my 6ct cushion periot, so it can be done with little to no problem. The only thing I had to do was have the prongs changed. If you go that route you may want to wait to have a jeweler do it for you.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jeweler charges $30 a prong, so that's not an option. I'm just frustrated that a 9 x 7 cushion setting seems like a rare thing. I wonder if an 8 x 6 will work. The stone's dimensions are 8.5 x 6.8.

Evelina

Rough_Rock
You could also try Bell Jewels.
Most of their rings can be purchased as semi-mounts. Here is a setting that takes a 9 x 7 stone. It is in yellow gold but I''m sure I saw a white gold version as well.
Garnet ring

Evelina

Rough_Rock
Oops, it is an emerald cut stone. My mistake.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Bell is owned by Yigal jewels (another ebay store) but don''t quote me on that. I think the setting are from New York settings, but you can only buy those from jewelers. Thanks for the link, I almost forgot about them, and the nice thing with Yigal is that you don''t have to upgrade the diamonds. I have a couple of settings from him already. They''re light in gold weight, but the diamonds were very nice.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 9:00:15 PM
My jeweler charges $30 a prong, so that''s not an option. I''m just frustrated that a 9 x 7 cushion setting seems like a rare thing. I wonder if an 8 x 6 will work. The stone''s dimensions are 8.5 x 6.8.
Maybe but its been my experience that some of the LOGR settings can be somewhat of a tight fit for stones that are cut on the deeper side. If its open enough at the bottom you may be fine. If the stone is deep you may still need to have longer prongs though. Stephen has done this for me before and it worked out well.

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2010 9:00:15 PM
My jeweler charges $30 a prong, so that''s not an option. I''m just frustrated that a 9 x 7 cushion setting seems like a rare thing. I wonder if an 8 x 6 will work. The stone''s dimensions are 8.5 x 6.8.
It depends on the depth of your stone and the setting. If the prongs are long enough, your jeweller might be able to set it up a little higher, thus making it fit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have sent Stephen several emails about settings, and since I have been questioning the prices, he is not responding to me. This is quite frustrating. I do hope he returns my emails but it''s been five days at least, and none have been returned. I wasn''t mad or angry in the least in my emails, just asking for a price breakdown, which he''s given me before in the past. Has anyone been able to get a hold of him?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2010 10:34:10 AM
Well, I have sent Stephen several emails about settings, and since I have been questioning the prices, he is not responding to me. This is quite frustrating. I do hope he returns my emails but it''s been five days at least, and none have been returned. I wasn''t mad or angry in the least in my emails, just asking for a price breakdown, which he''s given me before in the past. Has anyone been able to get a hold of him?
I haven''t tried since before I went on vacation. Once he took about 4 days with me and I had to actually pay for something!!

I had figured he was busy but wasn''t sure what happened tbh.

Hopefully he''ll pop up soon.

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He finally replied back with a pricing breakdown. Thank goodness, I thought I scared him off!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 12:15:25 AM
He finally replied back with a pricing breakdown. Thank goodness, I thought I scared him off!
I was getting concerned and quite put off enough to strike him off my cheapo setting vendor list.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
If it makes you feel any better, he is charging me $50 to size DOWN from 6 to 3 on a $90 setting.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TL,

Just to say that I had a 7.5 aqua cushion that a mall jeweler fit into an emerald cut setring. It was the first stone I had set by this jeweler. It looks very nice. He didn''t change anything.

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 10:05:17 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
If it makes you feel any better, he is charging me $50 to size DOWN from 6 to 3 on a $90 setting.

23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Well I feel bad for you!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2010 10:35:27 AM
Author: smitcompton
Hi TL,

Just to say that I had a 7.5 aqua cushion that a mall jeweler fit into an emerald cut setring. It was the first stone I had set by this jeweler. It looks very nice. He didn''t change anything.

Annette

Photos?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results