shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I love ATK

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
America's Test Kitchen thinks like I do, scientifically.
Like all good skeptics they believe nothing and TEST TEST TEST.

I'm constantly consulting their Youtube videos with any kitchen question, and to improve my skills.
We eat better because of it and I have much more enjoyment preparing food now.
They produce many cookbooks, and again they test test test the recipes, using many different cooks, not just one.

I love that they don't fall for what Madison Avenue's Marketing/Ad weenies feed us. :blackeye:
They prove what's the best, be it a recipe, cheese grater, food processor, oven mitts, dutch oven, cutting board, bread knife, even stain removers for those inevitable splatters.

Have I mentioned I LOVE ATK! ;));-);)2:dance::clap:

Wiki:

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this video they test 9 bread knives, from $20 to $200 dollars.
Guess which performed best.
After 35 years or so it was finally time to replace my fancy German Henckels Four Star bread knife.
ATK saved me a good chunk of change, and I have a better-preforming tool.

For some things I confess to being a highfalutin brand snob on steroids, but ATK can humble me and bring me back down to earth.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love America's Test Kitchen, as well as the Cook's Country show.
I wonder what happened to make Chris Kimball leave Cook's Country. I know he now has the Milk Street show, which I also like.
PBS Rules!

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't watch the video but I'm guessing it was the Victorinox/Forschner pastry knife, which I know they rated highest some years ago. We've had one for years, use it to cut our homemade bread. Great knife and not expensive. Most of my knives are Victorinox.

ETA: This is the knife we have:
Victorinox serrated bread/pastry knife

I had a subscription to Cook's Illustrated for years and some of my favorite recipes come from there. These days I read it on Libby (our library has an account.)

Last edited:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love America's Test Kitchen, as well as the Cook's Country show.
I wonder what happened to make Chris Kimball leave Cook's Country. I know he now has the Milk Street show, which I also like.
PBS Rules!

Stracci2000 I've always been especially fond of you and now I know why!!!!!! We even like the same shows!!!!!! I love love love ATK and CC!!!!!! Loooooove!!!!!!!!!! I've seen most of the episodes even the ones from when everyone was really young decades ago!

Re Chris Kimball

He had a big falling out with the ATK Board and they ousted him.

Jack who does the taste testing segments is another big player and he had a hand in removing Chris Kimball.

There were accusations about CK trying to steal staff etc, they sued each other but it's all died down now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stracci2000 I've always been especially fond of you and now I know why!!!!!! We even like the same shows!!!!!! I love love love ATK and CC!!!!!! Loooooove!!!!!!!!!! I've seen most of the episodes even the ones from when everyone was really young decades ago!

Re Chris Kimball

He had a big falling out with the ATK Board and they ousted him.

Jack who does the taste testing segments is another big player and he had a hand in removing Chris Kimball.

There were accusations about CK trying to steal staff etc, they sued each other but it's all died down now.

Haha! You are too funny! I worship you from afar as well !!!!
I have been watching that show since forever, too. I have learned a lot and I sometimes write down the recipes as they go along.
I always check out Julia's bling....she has a sizeable diamond eternity ring and she sometimes wears a sapphire one, too!
I wonder about her diamond studs, as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use oxi-clean!

I used to use Resolve to clean grout between tiles. Took some scrubbing but it worked pretty well. Now I use Zep Mold and Stain
to clean grout. Basically, just spray it on, let it set, quick scrub with toothbrush, and wipe it up (use protective gloves).

I'll have to go look for other ATK videos that might help me.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
From an Australian, I love ATK too!! I have two of their cook books, multiple DVDs (remember back when DVDs were a thing :lol:) and am online subscriber.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I thought you meant the Ibanez ATK Bass guitar for a moment there :doh:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love ATK for their approach and have subscribed on/off. The problem is I'm not as interested in everything they attempted - just the outcome/answer. Lack of attention span and time.

I am a big fan of understanding the "how and why" of cooking and also recommend Helen Rennie who has a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/helenrennie

Helen was an engineer turned chef which helps explain her approach. She does a lot of research and then experiments herself. Sometimes she makes revisions based on her experience teaching others so everything is practical. Many of her tips come from ATK as well as other resources.

I highly recommend her in-person classes for anyone in the Boston area looking for something fun and educational. (I've even seen students travel fun NH, RI and CT). They are small group, hands on, she provides detailed handouts at the end (so you don't need to take notes) and everything is delicious. It's a fun thing to do with a friend (or friends) and you pick up tips/tricks that you will regularly use - not just with her recipes. If you attend a class, you will often find that many are returning students from other classes. https://helenrennie.com/kitchen/index.php.

Last edited:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't watch the video but I'm guessing it was the Victorinox/Forschner pastry knife, which I know they rated highest some years ago. We've had one for years, use it to cut our homemade bread. Great knife and not expensive. Most of my knives are Victorinox.

ETA: This is the knife we have:
Victorinox serrated bread/pastry knife

I had a subscription to Cook's Illustrated for years and some of my favorite recipes come from there. These days I read it on Libby (our library has an account.)

I used the Victornix/Forschner set for years, I’ve given the set as gifts more than once. Are you talking about the long, non-serrated knife with the very thin profile? That is one of my favorite knives ever! It’s the one knife I’ll keep from my set when I my hubby and I finally fully combine households.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, my bread/pastry knife is serrated, but I have a number of their non-serrated knives, too: chef knives, utility knives, paring knives, and carving knives, and a cleaver. I'm sure I have more knives than I need. :roll2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results