shape
carat
color
clarity

Why I hate Costco's free sample stands

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind them at all and have bought a wonderful lemon tart as a result ... yummy

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
How about Trader Joe's free samples? The stores I go to, the samples are way in the back, out of the way, and no crowds.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi said:
arkieb1|1404900961|3709615 said:
Really no free wine samples? A large number of bottleshops here give out wine samples and they have nights once or twice a week with free wine tastings and no people don't crowd here for those either....

GET OUT!! I am clearly living in the wrong place!!
drowning_in_wine.gif

ABC liquors down here has a $5.00 tasting night at least once a month. $5 for all you can drink out of itty bitty cups, oh and snacks!!! The girls from work have been know to rent a limo and celebrate birthdays there!!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure why you can't avoid them? I have been a member of a few different Costco's (in different states) and the aisles are plenty big enough to walk around the free samples if you choose to. I can't recall a time when I've ever felt like there was a crowd so large that I couldn't just pass by.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't you just go at night or in the morning. My husband does our grocery shopping. We shop at Meijer (local chain) but they are open 24hours.

You can get your groceries at 7am 1pm or 10pm

Just go when its not busy.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or better yet find out the days when they give out the chocolates and the free wine :dance:

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
What I'd give to be able to complain about our Glasgow Costco!! :Up_to_something:

I miss it!! Being so far from home and so many of our big chain stores I can honestly say, I get why it's frustrating, but be thankful you have the option. Western Australia is a wonderful,place to live but I do miss my shopping!!

The minute you don't have access to these places you realize how much money they save you and the variety of products they offer that no one else can!!

Plus as a vegetarian I rarely could eat any of the samples. :boohoo:

So next time you are there, think of me! :devil:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain, Kenny. I hate the sample stand as well. I especially find myself getting irritated when someone parks their basket in the middle of the isle and leaves it to go and get a sample of something. Seriously. It is so crowded. I have found myself wanting to very loudly ask these people if they have not eaten in a freaking week. Do you really HAVE to have that sample? I try not to go on the weekends or on friday even but sometimes it just can't be avoided.

Maybe it is just So.Cal Costco's. We do have more people per capita than a lot of other places. It is crowded all. the. time. I'm not entirely sure that they are not giving out samples all the time as well. Because it seems like I am always behind someone leaving their basket to go get one. It would be easier if they could all do a stealth move and swipe a sample as they walk buy but evidently they are not talented enough for that move.

It is beyond me, why anyone would stand around and wait for 5 minutes while some chemical laden hot dog wrapped in dough comes out of the toaster oven. Ok, I will stop. I have added more to this post three times. Ugh.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
luv2sparkle|1404962299|3710229 said:
I feel your pain, Kenny. I hate the sample stand as well. I especially find myself getting irritated when someone parks their basket in the middle of the isle and leaves it to go and get a sample of something. Seriously. It is so crowded. I have found myself wanting to very loudly ask these people if they have not eaten in a freaking week. Do you really HAVE to have that sample? I try not to go on the weekends or on friday even but sometimes it just can't be avoided.

Maybe it is just So.Cal Costco's. We do have more people per capita than a lot of other places. It is crowded all. the. time. I'm not entirely sure that they are not giving out samples all the time as well. Because it seems like I am always behind someone leaving their basket to go get one. It would be easier if they could all do a stealth move and swipe a sample as they walk buy but evidently they are not talented enough for that move.

It is beyond me, why anyone would stand around and wait for 5 minutes while some chemical laden hot dog wrapped in dough comes out of the toaster oven. Ok, I will stop. I have added more to this post three times. Ugh.

I believe the people per capita is pretty much stable all over the world. People per thinking capita, however, is known to vary.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever. California has the highest population of any state in the union. Does that make you feel better?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in a busy part of CA too.

Costco's vary.

I have learned from trail and error that the Costco in Fremont is horrendous (though it's better now that they opened up one near Santa Clara). But it has a better selection of indian foods than any other.

My parent's Costco is small but mightly, and is rarely ever crowded and has a few items others don't seem to carry.

Near me, I've found that my closest one is small and frequently lacks selection. BUT is much less crowded at peak times. Whereas the one that is 15 minutes away has better selection, but can be crowded at peak times and parking is difficult.

I love Costco though .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
luv2sparkle|1405126760|3711690 said:
Whatever. California has the highest population of any state in the union. Does that make you feel better?

I am sorry, I meant it as a joke. I found "people per capita" an amusing slip of the fingers and commented on it. It was not directed at anyone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1405283009|3712625 said:
luv2sparkle|1405126760|3711690 said:

I am sorry, I meant it as a joke. I found "people per capita" an amusing slip of the fingers and commented on it. It was not directed at anyone.

I think it is very funny now that the explanation of the joke has drawn my attention to the entire pasticcio. Too often really good little things go on with words and no one notices. I wish I could think of a way to reword that last sentence. Isn't it inelegant to write, "really good things go on with words"? Couldn't I find a better action verb to use rather than using "go on with"? I mean, this posting is about words!

Deb
:saint:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1405130629|3711735 said:
I'm in a busy part of CA too.

Costco's vary.

I love Costco though .

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and our local Costco is always busy, even at 10 am on a weekday when we normally shop (we are retired).

However, the Costco in Pocatello, ID was empty, even at lunch time. We stopped on our way to/from Yellowstone NP.
The FoodCourt and the Gas Station were also empty.
BTW, gas was 30 cents cheaper in ID than in CA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kenny, I thought of you today.

APPARENTLY there is a Business Costco here in the Bay Area. I had no idea. I needed a specific item that was only available the Business Costco yesterday so we went there. AWESOME. And not crowded at all even on a Saturday just before closing! Oh the hours are different and so are some of the products. Loved it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sigh, just another first world problem.......
personally, I don't go on weekends.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Gypsy. :wavey:

I see there's a Costco Business center here in LA. :dance:
I'll check it out.

Yelp reviews say it has no free sample stands. :appl:

screen_shot_2014-07-14_at_12.png

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Free samples is what makes Costco AWESOME!

PS if you're an executive member, you get two of each sample :cheeky: ;))

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1404859111|3709275 said:
packrat|1404858925|3709273 said:
Move to a smaller city. There are two grocery stores here and one doesn't do samples. The other one has a timid kinda guy who doesn't give two quarters if you want his produce samples, just tells you thanks for shopping, have a great day. One old lady who is OMG crabby and will about slap the kids hands if they reach for a second two inch square of her deli meat. And a woman my mom used to work w/so I know her real well who does the free wine samples and always hooks me up w/a full cup and a wink.

Did someone say free wine samples? :dance:

There is a fresh market near me that always seems to have free wine samples. They are VERY generous with the samples, and I always leave feeling happier then when I came! It's great! :sick: :naughty:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I do get annoyed by the traffic at the free sample stands... BUT I credit the free sample stands for helping me find a garden burger I actually like (Well LOVE). So in some ways I am grateful to them!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1405368184|3713171 said:
I do get annoyed by the traffic at the free sample stands... BUT I credit the free sample stands for helping me find a garden burger I actually like (Well LOVE). So in some ways I am grateful to them!

I agree. I have bought many an item I would not have if not for the sampling they offer. I love the sample stands. It's not the sample stands one should blame it's the inconsiderate people who block the traffic by leaving their carts in the middle of the aisle and other thoughtless behavior.

We frequent a few different Costco's and the difference between them with regards to this issue is night and day. They both offer sample stands but the experience is so very different. It has to do with the people and being polite and thoughtful vs the rude and narcissistic mentality some have and nothing to do with offering samples and such.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1405368049|3713170 said:
Move to a smaller city. There are two grocery stores here and one doesn't do samples. The other one has a timid kinda guy who doesn't give two quarters if you want his produce samples, just tells you thanks for shopping, have a great day. One old lady who is OMG crabby and will about slap the kids hands if they reach for a second two inch square of her deli meat. And a woman my mom used to work w/so I know her real well who does the free wine samples and always hooks me up w/a full cup and a wink.

There is a fresh market near me that always seems to have free wine samples. They are VERY generous with the samples, and I always leave feeling happier then when I came! It's great! :sick: :naughty:

Hmmmm...see, now I'm always w/my kids..and I'm not a drinker anymore so I get tipsy easy...My kids are like WOO HOO YES mom's laughing about the 7 boxes of poptarts and the 11 boxes of gummies we stuck in the cart, SCORE!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad that works for you. :dance: Some products are different and geared toward restaurant quantities, versus individual household quantities. But depending on what you need, it's a great resource.

I went there for a specific ham (honestly the best ham I've ever bought) that the regular costco carries during the holidays, but not at other times. Oh, and bring a sweater. If yours is anything like ours the fresh food/refrigerated stuff is all in one FREEZING section of refrigeration. We about had hypothermia looking at cheese.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1405371584|3713199 said:
ckrickett|1405368049|3713170 said:

Hmmmm...see, now I'm always w/my kids..and I'm not a drinker anymore so I get tipsy easy...My kids are like WOO HOO YES mom's laughing about the 7 boxes of poptarts and the 11 boxes of gummies we stuck in the cart, SCORE!

My Fiancee doesn't drink anything, no alcohol or caffeine, he can't even eat chocolate! So my drinking has gone down a lot (instead of a glass of wine or two a night I am down to one or two a month :wall: ;( :(sad ) so when I do drink I am pretty light now myself! Those samples get me good and happy!

Hah your kids sound fun! :dance: :D

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh jeez louise, let's not ever go the grocery store together! :cheeky:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's official. I went to Costco on a wednesday and there were sample stands all over. It was jam packed. This time I had my 17 year old with me, and he of course wanted to sample everything because he did not get up early enough to make breakfast before his summer school appt. Sheesh.

I was in a traffic jam where the person in front of me had parked a basket in order to get the free ravioli samples and a lady was behind me saying, Excuse me, excuse me!", over and over. I finally had to turn around and say, "I can't go anywhere until someone moves!"

I guess I just need to be thankful that I don't have to do this every day. It can surely be stressful! :shifty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to Costco yesterday, Wednesday, and there were a zillion stands, so it's not just weekends any more. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results