shape
carat
color
clarity

Why Food Stamps Are NOT A Scam

iLander

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1396470679|3646047 said:
I want to thank ksinger for the information on what John Stewart had posted about food stamps and seafood. I saw several versions of his videotape, each one funnier than the one before. Unfortunately, of course, the humor is a bit dark since it is based on the actual, atavistic notion that people in need of food stamps should be required to eat only meat with gristle and rotting potatoes (or, as Mr. Stewart so aptly put it, canned salmon from the outer burroughs).

I had an epiphany shortly after watching the videos, however. I am happy to say that I believe that I have now solved the problem of how to deal fairly with the issue of subsidies to corporations and open tax loopholes for hedge fund managers versus users of food stamps! It is such a simple idea that it is really amazing that no one thought of it before!

Food stamp users already have "transparency" (such a nice, new term). They have to show coupons that everyone can see and which alerts everyone to scrutinize their grocery carts. I am so glad to know that they buy a lot of potato salad, for example. If it were not for transparency, how would I know that?

I suggest that from now on corporations and hedge fund managers also get paid in grocery store coupons that they must, personally, use in stores. I would like to see how they use their money. After all, what's sauce for the goose, is sauce for gander.

We all believe that programs are fine if they are run fairly, correct? Right now I cannot see the hedge fund managers' money. Or Walmarts'. If they get paid in grocery store coupons, we can all look in their carts. That would make me feel a lot better.

AGBF
:read:

I love this. :lol: But if you look in their carts, all you will see is the huge party platters they bought after we bailed out the banks. Or lobsters that they bought with the bonus checks they got from US when they needed it. Don't get me started . . .

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you. You can see why I am pro-welfare. ;))

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
The qualms I have are about people who don't use it to better themselves as I did...Generations of people dependent on it who don't ever want to work. Welfare enabled me to stay home and get well, I tried hard to get beyond my circumstances and I always will feel OK about the person next to me in line at the grocery store using food stamps.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1396458353|3645909 said:
amc80|1396453029|3645832 said:
As with any benefit, it's not a scam if it is being used correctly by the people who actually need it.

Also, $668 for a family of 4 comes out to $501 for a family of 3, which is what we are. B is a toddler but DH eats enough for two normal people. No way we spend $500 on groceries a month, more like $300.

Really? Wow, we easily spend $1000/month for our family of 3, which includes non-food items (toiletries, etc.) and pet food, so deducting that, I imagine we're still at $800+. But we don't buy any processed foods whatsoever, and rarely eat out - we buy lots of fresh produce and we mostly eat organic. But this doesn't include meat, eggs OR milk, since our meat and raw milk comes from local farms and our eggs come from our own chickens, which isn't included in what we spend at the store.

So I would think that a family of 3 would easily spend $600+ per month on basic food (assuming non-organic). $300/month for 3 people comes to $3.33/day per person. How can anyone eat for $3/day?

Right. Its shocking to me that people criticize those on food stamps for buying junk food--realistically, its the only affordable option. Fruits and veggies at the grocery store are comparatively more expensive than junk food, unless you shop at a farmers market, which is a luxury in itself because most farmers market vendors are cash only, and are certainly very unlikely to take food stamps.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed. I don't care what kinds of food people buy with food stamps. When I was on food stamps, I bought the same food I buy today - Staples such as rice, beans, cheese, tofu, fruit, veggies.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Food stamp users already have "transparency" (such a nice, new term). They have to show coupons that everyone can see and which alerts everyone to scrutinize their grocery carts. I am so glad to know that they buy a lot of potato salad, for example. If it were not for transparency, how would I know that?

I suggest that from now on corporations and hedge fund managers also get paid in grocery store coupons that they must, personally, use in stores. I would like to see how they use their money. After all, what's sauce for the goose, is sauce for gander.

We all believe that programs are fine if they are run fairly, correct? Right now I cannot see the hedge fund managers' money. Or Walmarts'. If they get paid in grocery store coupons, we can all look in their carts. That would make me feel a lot better.

AGBF

I'm not sure how food stamps are used in other states, but in AL, funds are put on a card. Unless you're looking right at the card in the 2 seconds it takes to swipe it, then you would never know the person was using "food stamps." And in the rare case that the person may be a little uncomfortable with someone knowing they're on welfare... no problem! Just go to any retailer (even Walgreens) and get all the funds in cash.

The only reason I had any clue about the lady throwing a neighborhood party with welfare money is because she was talking about it very loudly and in great detail to the cashier... and to anyone within a 15' radius, apparently. That's the thing... it's a sick mentality. There is no shame...in anything. She was proud of her welfare and the good time her neighborhood would have using it -- and it didn't cost her a dime.

And, yes, her behavior ticked me off... but not as much as the disgust it made me feel toward our government -- for allowing this to happen for generations. The mentality is why work when I can do nothing and have more/nicer things on the government's dime??

Another story, and I think I've mentioned this on another thread some time ago... I worked with a very nice lady (she was a Rx tech) who was having a really hard time. She had three kids and worked 2 jobs to try to make ends meet. So she went to the appropriate government offices to apply for some help via food stamps. Sounds like the perfect candidate, right? The type of candidate that most people would feel good about our government helping out, right? Turns out she was told she made "way too much money to get government assistance." She told me that she almost started to cry and asked if there was anything else she could apply for, and the government worker advised her to quit her second job entirely, and ask for her hours to be decreased to part-time at her pharmacy job... then she could get food stamps. Nice advice. :nono: :roll:

This country is breeding generation after generation of lazy, entitled idiots who will proudly defraud government programs with no shame whatsoever. Our government is to blame because they have allowed the welfare system to be abused for years and this mentality/behavior is actually encouraged. There will come a time (probably sooner than later) when the number of people who refuse to work will outnumber those who work to pay for those who refuse to work.

I'm definitely not some great economic mind, but I imagine this will present a problem.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know who doesn't work? The 1%. The working poor are on food stamps. Yup. The working poor. And those who would like to be working but are unemployed through no fault of their own. It's called RECESSION.

My husband worked on the TARP program bailing out the banks. Unlike me, he is a conservative and really didn't love doing it, but he worked for the Fed and he was lent to the Department of the Treasury and told to do it, so he did it. As iLander said, that was a huge expenditure of money!

AGBF

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1396474253|3646084 said:
The qualms I have are about people who don't use it to better themselves as I did...Generations of people dependent on it who don't ever want to work. Welfare enabled me to stay home and get well, I tried hard to get beyond my circumstances and I always will feel OK about the person next to me in line at the grocery store using food stamps.

I agree 100%... you used the program as it was meant to be. Congratulations to you on your improved health and success. :))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1396458977|3645922 said:
As with any benefit, it's not a scam if it is being used correctly by the people who actually need it.

Also, $668 for a family of 4 comes out to $501 for a family of 3, which is what we are. B is a toddler but DH eats enough for two normal people. No way we spend $500 on groceries a month, more like $300.

I'm with amc... that $1200+ figure has to be grossly inflated. DH and I cook all the time and buy lots of more expensive proteins each month, and we spend less than $400 (and that's including household cleaning items and toiletries).
I wouldn't be so pissy about food stamps/cards if the welfare participant was not allowed to get cash money with them. Now that's a scam all day long, and terribly abused.

Nothing disgusts me more than when I see a woman in front of me at the check-out with 2-3 carts overflowing with ribeyes, countless racks of ribs, tub after tub of potato salad, chips, and enough beer to kill several grown people, talking about how she is "throwing a block-party-BBQ" -- as she swipes her welfare card for a whopping $700+... to feed the d*mn neighborhood with money taxpayers actually earned. :angryfire:

Oh, the beer won't go on the card, but no problem... she just gets cash back and pays for it. Nice. :roll:

I am so shocked and disturbed by this comment. Heaven forbid that poor people want to be part of a community; or want to eat a steak or enjoy something. Ribeyes should only be for the rich and entitled. Poor people should only eat poor people food, right? Perhaps this is a shill? This earlier thread makes me wonder if I am getting worked up for no reason? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/government-exempt-from-obamacare.193945/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/government-exempt-from-obamacare.193945/[/URL] For those that don't want to click, this is a thread that was started about Obamacare and the 28th amendment.

This is a consumer forum for high-end diamond jewelry--can you imagine how shocked someone on food stamps would be to see how much we spend on diamonds, carre cuts, Leon Mege, and Rolex watches? If a word was said against it, there would be an outcry--"Its MY money and I EARNED IT" Yes. I am glad for that, and I enjoy the same. But, when it comes to the poor, many feel that they can continue to say, "Its MY money and I EARNED IT so you will not eat a steak ON MY MONEY."

But, its not so much your money at all. For a person making $50,000, $36 of that goes into the food stamp program. This link is from 2012, but the criticism for the food stamp program has been around as long, so I think its a fair gauge. http://www.examiner.com/article/a-person-making-50-000-a-year-pays-10-cents-a-day-taxes-for-food-stamps

I just cannot understand or relate to the idea in the comment above. I pay a lot of money through taxes. I earned the money--but I was also born into an educated family in a first world country. Lucky for me I won the heavenly lottery that gave me a jumpstart in life, and that I've been able to make the best of that. I have so much money, that I can spend the excess on diamonds and grain free dog food. I have an excess; I have more than I need. I am happy to see another human being eat food based on my contribution through taxes.

But, what about the lazy people? What about people that are just enjoying another day on food stamps? Going on food stamps is not an enjoyable or easy process. I find it impossible to believe that someone on government assistance wouldn't trade their food stamps for my job and life circumstances in a heartbeat. Why do we vilify the struggling?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1396475527|3646107 said:
My husband worked on the TARP program bailing out the banks. Unlike me, he is a conservative and really didn't love doing it, but he worked for the Fed and he was lent to the Department of the Treasury and told to do it, so he did it. As iLander said, that was a huge expenditure of money!

AGBF

Agreed. :nono: Maybe they would be more careful with their spending and business practices if they knew our government wouldn't just bail them out. Fear of the possibility of failure is and bankruptcy would be the greatest incentive for them. However, it was our government that demanded the banks give out home loans to anyone who walked through their doors, so... it seems to be a viscious cycle.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1396477072|3646125 said:
msop04|1396458977|3645922 said:

I'm with amc... that $1200+ figure has to be grossly inflated. DH and I cook all the time and buy lots of more expensive proteins each month, and we spend less than $400 (and that's including household cleaning items and toiletries).
I wouldn't be so pissy about food stamps/cards if the welfare participant was not allowed to get cash money with them. Now that's a scam all day long, and terribly abused.

Nothing disgusts me more than when I see a woman in front of me at the check-out with 2-3 carts overflowing with ribeyes, countless racks of ribs, tub after tub of potato salad, chips, and enough beer to kill several grown people, talking about how she is "throwing a block-party-BBQ" -- as she swipes her welfare card for a whopping $700+... to feed the d*mn neighborhood with money taxpayers actually earned. :angryfire:

Oh, the beer won't go on the card, but no problem... she just gets cash back and pays for it. Nice. :roll:

I am so shocked and disturbed by this comment. Heaven forbid that poor people want to be part of a community; or want to eat a steak or enjoy something. Ribeyes should only be for the rich and entitled. Poor people should only eat poor people food, right? Perhaps this is a shill? This earlier thread makes me wonder if I am getting worked up for no reason? [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/government-exempt-from-obamacare.193945/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/government-exempt-from-obamacare.193945/[/URL] For those that don't want to click, this is a thread that was started about Obamacare and the 28th amendment.

This is a consumer forum for high-end diamond jewelry--can you imagine how shocked someone on food stamps would be to see how much we spend on diamonds, carre cuts, Leon Mege, and Rolex watches? If a word was said against it, there would be an outcry--"Its MY money and I EARNED IT" Yes. I am glad for that, and I enjoy the same. But, when it comes to the poor, many feel that they can continue to say, "Its MY money and I EARNED IT so you will not eat a steak ON MY MONEY."

But, its not so much your money at all. For a person making $50,000, $36 of that goes into the food stamp program. This link is from 2012, but the criticism for the food stamp program has been around as long, so I think its a fair gauge. http://www.examiner.com/article/a-person-making-50-000-a-year-pays-10-cents-a-day-taxes-for-food-stamps

I just cannot understand or relate to the idea in the comment above. I pay a lot of money through taxes. I earned the money--but I was also born into an educated family in a first world country. Lucky for me I won the heavenly lottery that gave me a jumpstart in life, and that I've been able to make the best of that. I have so much money, that I can spend the excess on diamonds and grain free dog food. I have an excess; I have more than I need. I am happy to see another human being eat food based on my contribution through taxes.

But, what about the lazy people? What about people that are just enjoying another day on food stamps? Going on food stamps is not an enjoyable or easy process. I find it impossible to believe that someone on government assistance wouldn't trade their food stamps for my job and life circumstances in a heartbeat. Why do we vilify the struggling?

Because kicking those below you is easier than taking on the real a**holes above, that's why. And by distancing yourself mentally and morally from people in those circumstances, you can delude yourself that YOU aren't in any danger of becoming THEM. It's a sop to make us who are in more precarious situations than we want to admit, feel better. I'D never make those horrible choices!! But the fact is, if you'd lived their lives, you likely would. Yes, you and me and most here, won the lucky sperm contest and just don't wish to admit it.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I think I have a unique perspective because I went from Rich - Poor - Rich. A severe illness in the 1970's wiped me out. All my assets were gone.

I slowly recovered from the illness in the mid-1980's, and went on disability welfare checks and food stamps during the times of illness and recovery.

Then, things slowly got better, and I became rich again through work and investing. I have much gratitude for the food stamps and welfare program!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article says it better than I could...

"Just How Wrong Is Conventional Wisdom About Government Fraud?"

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/08/just-how-wrong-is-conventional-wisdom-about-government-fraud/278690/

"For the most part, fraud isn’t the product of scheming low-income beneficiaries -- Mitt Romney’s 47 percent -- living high on the hog on your dime, but rather someone other than the beneficiary standing to make a buck off it. Medicare and Medicaid fraud is largely committed not by patients -- very few people are trying to rip off taxpayers to obtain unneeded spinal taps or root canals -- but by providers: unscrupulous (or sometimes just incompetent) doctors and hospitals billing for procedures the patient didn’t need or didn’t receive.

A landmark 2012 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association not only found that fraud rates are consistent across both government programs and wholly private health care; it also concluded that a “less harmful strategy” than the “common” approach “to contain costs us[ing] cuts, such as reductions in payment levels, benefit structures, and eligibility” would be to “reduce waste” -- mostly on the provider side. “The savings potentially achievable from systematic, comprehensive, and cooperative pursuit of even a fractional reduction in waste are far higher than from more direct and blunter cuts in care and coverage.”

Combating fraud requires efforts and investments that target the real perpetrators, not cheap shots at beneficiaries and reflexive cuts in their programs. There are, after all, equal levels of fraud and theft in other fields, most notably finance -- but we don’t try to reduce it by shutting down the entire industry and blaming the customers."

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
msop04|1396475085|3646100 said:
I'm not sure how food stamps are used in other states, but in AL, funds are put on a card. Unless you're looking right at the card in the 2 seconds it takes to swipe it, then you would never know the person was using "food stamps." And in the rare case that the person may be a little uncomfortable with someone knowing they're on welfare... no problem! Just go to any retailer (even Walgreens) and get all the funds in cash.
Under federal law the the food stamp funds can not be drawn off the cards in cash.
However for those that get a cash benefit it is put on the same card and it works like an atm/debit card and you can draw off the cash but it is not the food stamp money it is the cash benefit.
That is how it now works in almost any state these days, you don't get a check for the cash benefit it is put on your card and you can go to an atm or some stores and draw it out.
Most stores have a limit on what you can draw off on cash usually a max of 50 to 100.
atm max is generally $500 in most states.
However there is usually no limit on purchases using the card not covered by food stamps other than the amount on the card.
In some states they contract with visa for the cash part and it acts as a visa debit card for the cash benefit so you can use it more places.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1396474505|3646088 said:
Right. Its shocking to me that people criticize those on food stamps for buying junk food--realistically, its the only affordable option. Fruits and veggies at the grocery store are comparatively more expensive than junk food, unless you shop at a farmers market, which is a luxury in itself because most farmers market vendors are cash only, and are certainly very unlikely to take food stamps.

As was mentioned before, the children in those families are on free lunches, so they only have to provide 11 meals/child/week. The parents (assuming there are two parents) would need 21 meals/each if they eat every meal each day. Assuming they have three children, the grand total is 75 meals per week. If they're getting $800/month, that's over $10 for each meal. That's a lot.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1396477549|3646135 said:
AGBF|1396475527|3646107 said:
My husband worked on the TARP program]bailing out the banks. Unlike me, he is a conservative and really didn't love doing it, but he worked for the Fed and he was lent to the Department of the Treasury and told to do it, so he did it. As iLander said, that was a huge expenditure of money!

Agreed. :nono: Maybe they would be more careful with their spending and business practices if they knew our government wouldn't just bail them out. Fear of the possibility of failure is and bankruptcy would be the greatest incentive for them. However, it was our government that demanded the banks give out home loans to anyone who walked through their doors, so... it seems to be a viscious cycle.

I said that my husband is a conservative. He, therefore, tends to take the political position that you do. Being an employee, however, his political opinions are not solicited before governmental policy decisions are made. I am interested in the bank bailout as a social phenomenon. I see that our society does not let big institutions fail, does not let the rich fail. It really couldn't care less if the poor, the middle class, the elderly, and the disabled, all fell into abject poverty and suffered, however. As long as the districts were gerrymandered so as to allow everyone in office to stay there.

AGBF
:saint:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Another story, and I think I've mentioned this on another thread some time ago... I worked with a very nice lady (she was a Rx tech) who was having a really hard time. She had three kids and worked 2 jobs to try to make ends meet. So she went to the appropriate government offices to apply for some help via food stamps. Sounds like the perfect candidate, right? The type of candidate that most people would feel good about our government helping out, right? Turns out she was told she made "way too much money to get government assistance." She told me that she almost started to cry and asked if there was anything else she could apply for, and the government worker advised her to quit her second job entirely, and ask for her hours to be decreased to part-time at her pharmacy job... then she could get food stamps. Nice advice. :nono: :roll:

This country is breeding generation after generation of lazy, entitled idiots who will proudly defraud government programs with no shame whatsoever. Our government is to blame because they have allowed the welfare system to be abused for years and this mentality/behavior is actually encouraged. There will come a time (probably sooner than later) when the number of people who refuse to work will outnumber those who work to pay for those who refuse to work.

[/i]
Hey, why work?.. :confused: when our government encourages people not to by rewarding them with extra benefits.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1396477072|3646125 said:

Maybe you can't relate because you've missed the point entirely.

The point was not what was in the cart -- the point is that the lady was feeding her entire neighborhood -- not her family -- the neighborhood. And as far as my money goes, I will spend it as I see fit, as should everyone else. It is my money -- I have earned it. However, it's my belief that if you are in a situation where you can't afford to feed your family, then you have no business defrauding the government to throw a party for the block. Feed your family with food stamps... that's how they are meant to be used. I don't think they are intended to be sold or traded for cash to buy plasma televisions, Playstations, clothes, alcohol, drugs, etc. True, it's not just my money or your money, it's the American taxpayers' money. One thing is for sure... it's certainly NOT their money -- they did not earn it. To spend taxpayer's money on items that the money was not intended for is misuse of the system. Period.

Although there are many who would trade welfare for a job, there are also many who would not -- and that is the population to which I am referring. No one is vilifying struggling, but I think you already knew that. What is being vilified is the mentality that it is okay to misuse any government assistance program... food stamps, Medicaid, any of it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1396480221|3646156 said:

[/i]

Hey, why work?.. :confused: when our government encourages people not to by rewarding them with extra benefits.

I thought we had agreed it was easier to become a hedge fund manager or a banker and to defraud the people that way. One makes so much more money doing it that way than by trying to eke a few dollars out of the Food Stamps program. If I ever wanted to defraud the government, I'd manage a hedge fund.

Deb
:wavey:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm with msop. Throwing a party and feeding the entire neighborhood (plus purchasing liquor) with your food stamps is not appropriate use of the aid.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1396480221|3646156 said:

AGBF

[/i]

Why do I work DF? Or so many of the people here. Almost all, actually. Except...you, perhaps?

Why DO people work? What motivates them to NOT work?

Why do you project YOUR attitudes onto others? You have a limited view of humans that only includes either a carrot or a stick and can't even fathom that there might be something else. Just because the only motivator that would make YOU get off your ischial tuberosities and do something, is the threat of starving, doesn't mean that everyone is motivated or not, by the same thing. SOME people lack motivation it's true, but others - like most of the people here - would rather do almost anything than be on public assistance. Why are all of THEM unmotivated and all of US are? Your world view has dire consequences as the ONLY motivator of humans.

Seriously, anyone here "encouraged to not work" by the giddy thought of government benefits? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller??

Yeah, thought not.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1396478150|3646144 said:
Under federal law the the food stamp funds can not be drawn off the cards in cash.
However for those that get a cash benefit it is put on the same card and it works like an atm/debit card and you can draw off the cash but it is not the food stamp money it is the cash benefit.
That is how it now works in almost any state these days, you don't get a check for the cash benefit it is put on your card and you can go to an atm or some stores and draw it out.
Most stores have a limit on what you can draw off on cash usually a max of 50 to 100.
atm max is generally $500 in most states.
However there is usually no limit on purchases using the card not covered by food stamps other than the amount on the card.
In some states they contract with visa for the cash part and it acts as a visa debit card for the cash benefit so you can use it more places.

I know you can get cash for food stamps/debit cards in the state of AL. Retailers, such as my former employer, Walgreens, advertise it one their reader boards. I'm sure this the case (all funding on the same card).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sky56|1396477719|3646139 said:
I think I have a unique perspective because I went from Rich - Poor - Rich. A severe illness in the 1970's wiped me out. All my assets were gone.

I slowly recovered from the illness in the mid-1980's, and went on disability welfare checks and food stamps during the times of illness and recovery.

Then, things slowly got better, and I became rich again through work and investing. I have much gratitude for the food stamps and welfare program!
Wow!, good for you!... :appl: and that should the goal for all "the able to work" whom are on public assistance.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1396481056|3646167 said:
I'm with msop. Throwing a party and feeding the entire neighborhood (plus purchasing liquor) with your food stamps is not appropriate use of the aid.

I don't believe one can use food stamps to purchase liquor. But that isn't why I posted. Now that we know your position of this, what is your position on the carried-interest tax loophole, which allows hedge fund managers to mischaracterize their income as capital gains and costs the Treasury $11 billion a year. (See my original posting.)

Deb
:saint:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter got food stamps while she was in americorps because she was only paid $9000/ yr. The cheapest apt she could find was a studio for $550/month. She got $50/ week in "stamps". She was raised relatively wealthy. She learned quickly to be frugal. In two years she never asked us for money. She just did without. And on all that, she actually saved $1000 in her savings. As you saw in my other thread, for that she has to now pay $2000 in taxes. Btw, "stamps" are actually credit cards so no one except the cashier knew she was using them in the line. Otherwise she would have been embarrassed.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1396480065|3646155 said:

I said that my husband is a conservative. He, therefore, tends to take the political position that you do. Being an employee, however, his political opinions are not solicited before governmental policy decisions are made. I am interested in the bank bailout as a social phenomenon. I see that our society does not let big institutions fail, does not let the rich fail. It really couldn't care less if the poor, the middle class, the elderly, and the disabled, all fell into abject poverty and suffered, however. As long as the districts were gerrymandered so as to allow everyone in office to stay there.
AGBF
:saint:[/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more, AGBF.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what is the worst, is no matter how many people come on here saying that they or theirs were on public assistance at some point, but got off later, will make the slightest dent in the deeply held idea that the vast majority of those on it are milking it. The people here will be the exception not the rule, and thus the stereotype of the welfare queen will remain unscathed.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1396478547|3646145 said:
IndyLady|1396474505|3646088 said:

As was mentioned before, the children in those families are on free lunches, so they only have to provide 11 meals/child/week. The parents (assuming there are two parents) would need 21 meals/each if they eat every meal each day. Assuming they have three children, the grand total is 75 meals per week. If they're getting $800/month, that's over $10 for each meal. That's a lot.

It seems that we're having a trees v. forest discussion. I am surprised that you have brought up the topic of children. What about spring break, summer vacation, winter break? Or an after school snack? I am incredulous to me that I live in one of the greatest, richest countries in the world, and that some people here don't want poor children to have too much food or food that is too nice. To each his own.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady said:
Heaven forbid that poor people want to be part of a community; or want to eat a steak or enjoy something. Ribeyes should only be for the rich and entitled. Poor people should only eat poor people food, right?

If someone is taking me out to dinner, I don't order the most expensive thing on the menu just because I'm not paying. I also don't order a bunch extra to take home and feed my friends.

If someone can use their benefits to buy steak and lobster or feed their neighborhood, they either 1) are getting too much in benefits, or 2) don't need the benefits to begin with. The point of social aid is to be temporary help for times when people need it. It is supposed to get them through until they can stand on their own two feet. It isn't supposed to allow them to live frivolously. And yes, steak is frivolous.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1396482376|3646193 said:
IndyLady said:
Heaven forbid that poor people want to be part of a community; or want to eat a steak or enjoy something. Ribeyes should only be for the rich and entitled. Poor people should only eat poor people food, right?

If someone is taking me out to dinner, I don't order the most expensive thing on the menu just because I'm not paying. I also don't order a bunch extra to take home and feed my friends.

If someone can use their benefits to buy steak and lobster or feed their neighborhood, they either 1) are getting too much in benefits, or 2) don't need the benefits to begin with. The point of social aid is to be temporary help for times when people need it. It is supposed to get them through until they can stand on their own two feet. It isn't supposed to allow them to live frivolously. And yes, steak is frivolous.

Or they are making a sacrifice, and going without food for the sake of being able to contribute to their community.

Why do you feel like its ok for you to determine what is frivolous for another person? Would you feel the same if someone more rich than you said that you shouldn't be able to have a mortgage and still purchase diamonds? f you have debt, even 'understandable debt' like a mortgage (that the government has had to remedy) or government subsidized student loans, should you be allowed to buy a frivolous luxury good like a diamond?

There are standards in place to determine eligibility. I'm grateful to live in a country that values freedom, where the government and the citizens can't exclude me from buying a certain cut of meat because I'm too poor to be allowed the choice to eat steak for one dinner and ramen for the rest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results