shape
carat
color
clarity

Why don''t men wear diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems DeBeers and the rest of the diamond marketing machine has ignored 50% of their potential customers.

Do any of you in the industry see this market cracking open?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope not.

JROC

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 9:27:42 PM
Author:kenny
Seems DeBeers and the rest of the diamond marketing machine has ignored 50% of their potential customers.

Do any of you in the industry see this market cracking open?
I think it is a very small niche market, really not worth investing I would think.

Personally, I love diamonds, their beauty and what they respesent (purity) however, I wouldn''t wear them. That is my personal preference.

thirston

Rough_Rock
I think I could get away with wearing a diamond inlaid wedding band but certainly not a solitaire setting. It is my personal opinion that a solitaire would not be flattering to my body and lifestyle. Most of reasoning depends on the lifestyle I think.

I have seen images of several music (hip-hop, R&B, and rap) stars that look just fine sporting their 5 Million ct. pink with purple polka-dot diamond solitaire rings, it''s just not for me.

I''ll leave the sparkles to my girlfriend.
21.gif

-Thirston

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Heh,

*Disclaimer* This is my own personal opinion about ME wearing diamonds.. not any other male.

I have thoroughly loved shopping for my fiance''s-to-be-ring and it has been very educational and intriguing at the same time. But the thought of me wearing any wedding band or ring with diamonds in it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I love men''s wedding bands with solid metals. Variations are fine, just no stones, please. Just my opinion.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must know a bunch of oddballs then.

Neighbor next door ( a man in his 70s) wears a 3ct RB on a pinky ring.
No, he is not in the entertainment biz but rather owns a court reporting biz,
an Italian restaurant on the golf course, and 17+ commercial properties.

One of websailor's 3 wedding bands is a channel set ring with seven .08ct diamonds.
He wears this only for special ocassions e.g. formal nights on cruise ships.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
My husband wouldn''t even go near diamond cutting when trying on wedding bands - too sparkly for him he said. That''s OK though, more diamonds for me!!

blukolr

Rough_Rock
I''d have to agree with Mr.Bleeker.....solid, no funny business. UNLESS...a diamond inlay was a crucial part of my ''Mr.T'' starter kit...
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Greg has a diamond in his ring and he gets alot of compliments. So many guys at work have told him they wish they had a diamond, and gals stop him in the elevator and tell him that they love his ring and wish their hubby would wear something so cutting edge.

He has a tension set titanium and gold ring with a small F VS ACA in it. He loves it and it looks beautiful on his hand, much better than a basic platinum ring.

I think men in diamonds can be a positive thing...of course I am not into the diamond encrusted cluster pinky rings from the 80s!
31.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what, you don''t listen to rap?
2.gif

cheers--Sharon

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I asked my SO this same question. He siad he felt like it was trendy and that he is more of a classic person. I really think it is a matter of taste. I have not yet seen a mans band that I liked for him with diamonds. I always think it is a little weird when I see boys with diamond studs or rings or necklaces and it just stikes me as "off".
Personally I think if you like them wear them, if you like them but dont want to wear them send them to me!

browser

Rough_Rock
I think it may just be considered too "girly". However, I think a small diamond inlaid into a wedding band is nice...I think that is how Brad Pitt''s was--a plat band with a small diamond embedded in the center of the ring.

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 1:01:07 AM
Author: browser
I think it may just be considered too ''girly''. However, I think a small diamond inlaid into a wedding band is nice...I think that is how Brad Pitt''s was--a plat band with a small diamond embedded in the center of the ring.

Haha,

If I get a ring in my band and people think of Brad Pitt b/c of it... that is reason #2 to get a platinum soild band !

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girls.....you need to get hubby a 5ct HONKER!!!
10.gif
9.gif
36.gif

mmorrison

Rough_Rock
when shopping for diamonds for my fiancee I considered getting a diamond for myself since I respect their strength and beauty.. but just couldn''t imagine wearing one

however when I look at my dad and grandad''s rings, they look very masculine and have very nice diamonds. for men, it''s more about the ring! the ring has to say "I am strong" and then the diamond is there to prove it.

I think this is a good example: http://applesofgold.com/MDR-1.html

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 9:12:31 AM
Author: Feydakin
Some of our best customers are men.. They buy for themselves, they buy big, and they buy color.. They all do diamonds to some extent, but for them it''s all about flawless (as near as can be) colored gemstones.. The last one we made was a 20ct+ amazing Yellow Yogo Sapphire (natural of course) with just a few diamonds added for accents..

To quote one of them, anyone can buy a big diamond, very few people know how to buy big color
2.gif
love the customer quote!!! so true, so true!

peace, movie zombie

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, think men are more likely to go for colored gemstones, and for some reason, I think colored gemstones look better on a guy than diamonds. My husband admired a tiger''s eye ring when he was shopping for me one time, and my brother in law aspires to have a ruby pinky ring some day. Diamonds on guys (unless small and an as some accent in a ring) too much reminds me of rap stars or Liberace, which is NOT a good thing. Even colored diamonds look better than colorless diamonds on guys. (Just my opinion)

Joane

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 10:19:36 PM
Author: denverappraiser

Love that comment, denverappraiser! LOL

Men DO wear diamonds! I have three diamond rings that belonged to my late dad. One solitaire, one trinity and one with a sapphire main stone flanked by two small diamonds. They are all very masculine-looking because they have hefty yellow gold bands, the diamonds are set almost flush into the ring (not standing above) and, in two of the rings, the diamonds, though RBs, being set in a squared-off white gold frame. Dad changed off among these, wearing one or the other of them regularly and they looked very elegant. I also enjoy wearing them for a bold look. I would agree a market is being missed here.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
haha, I think my bf sees it is too girly. So naturally I tease him all of the time about how I am going to pick him a wedding band that is nice and sparkly
3.gif
But he wants no part of wearing diamonds!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/9/2005 10:35:53 PM
Author: Mara
Greg has a diamond in his ring and he gets alot of compliments. So many guys at work have told him they wish they had a diamond, and gals stop him in the elevator and tell him that they love his ring and wish their hubby would wear something so cutting edge.

He has a tension set titanium and gold ring with a small F VS ACA in it. He loves it and it looks beautiful on his hand, much better than a basic platinum ring.

I think men in diamonds can be a positive thing...of course I am not into the diamond encrusted cluster pinky rings from the 80s!
31.gif
Mara
it''s funny,you don''t think guys should wear a diamond ring but your hubby wears one,i''m
33.gif
i do agree with you on those cluster rings,that''s why i like solitaire.
2.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it also has to do with the person wearing it. Some guys can "pull off" wearing diamonds. For instance, a 50 something husky biker guy is not afraid to wear a diamond because is he is going to be called a sissy boy... kind of like scottish men wearing kilts.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on many of the responses it sounds like some men are comfortable wearing diamonds but others are not because they are concerned about appearing less masculine.
It is my opinion that men who are more confident in their masculinity are more likely to wear them.
As the stigma over being gay continues to subside in our culture I anticipate the fear of being mistaken to be gay will also subside and diamond sales to men will increase.
Naturally this will be noticed first along the U.S. coasts and in large cities.

Also I have noticed more males under 25 wearing diamonds than those over 25.
Attitudes are shifting.
It seems the market for men buying diamonds for themselves is a growth market.
B&M and Internet dealers would be wise to notice this demographic shift in their clientele and have their designers come up with a better selection of contemporary designs that appeal to today’s men.

Diamonds are cool.
Why shouldn’t they be enjoyed by anyone with fingers to wear them and eyes to see them?

blake

Rough_Rock
I recently noticed that Tiffany now sells single diamond studs for exactly half the price for a pair.

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 5:42:59 PM
Author: kenny

Sounds like some men are comfortable wearing diamonds but others are not because they are concerned about appearing less masculine.

Apparently men who are more confident in their masculinity are more likely to wear them.

Respectfully, I fully disagree. I am 100% comfortable in my masculinity and I don''t think diamonds make me look any less masculine. I just hate diamonds in any band that I choose to put on my finger.

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn''t wear a solitare, but I would take something channel set or even interestingly flashy (but not girly if that makes sense). That being said, all these guys don''t want diamonds, but people fight for championship rings - go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results