shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did you pick your child''''s name, and what does it mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ashley was my favorite name since I was little, and knew if I had a daughter she''d be named Ashley. It''s origin is English, and means Ash Meadow. Had no clue when I got preggo it would be soooo popular. But luckily for her, there were no Ashley''s in her class.

I am Lisa, and had 5 other Lisa''s in my class, so we all had to go by Lisa and the letter of our last name...

Her middle name is Crrawford. It''s an old family name.

So Ashley Crawford just flowed with our last name.

My son...

Robert. His middle name is Haines. Again a family name. Robert was the only name we could agrree on. I do love the name. We used to call him Robbie, but now at 19, he''s Rob.

Logan is also a family name, so it''s funny to see that on the list.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 12:33:49 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
My daughter was named after my Mother and myself.. first name, middle name.. Audrey Kathleen. :) Mom passed away when I was eight.. and I took advantage of naming my daughter after her. My sisters weren''t too keen on the idea but it suits her beautifully.. she is a strong, intelligent, beautiful young lady, just as Mom was.
That''s a lovely name SDL. I know she''s a lovely gal, you must be very proud...
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we chose Hunter because I thought it sounded masculine... haha. I was actually reading a book and I saw that name for a character, can't even recall, and I just went "That's it!" and then I remembered Hunter S. Thomson who was a crazy bad ass and I like crazy bad asses. So I thought it was a good namesake. Except for the whole rampant drug use thing
20.gif

Our family friends says the only way we could have given our son a more masculine name was if we had called him "Hockey Stick".
41.gif

My mom thinks it is funny because I am a vegetarian. They say we should name our next child "Gatherer".

ETA Hunter is old english in origin and it means.. well... one who hunts
4.gif

ETA2 We also had a heck of a time coming up with names. But we struck on Hunter early and *never* settled on a girls name. Lucky he was a boy.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:34:07 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 12/22/2009 2:49:45 PM
Author: cdt1101
Ok...this maybe long
3.gif

We struggled soooooo much w/ boy names. I had a long list of ''rules'' to follow (such as - name that can''t be shortened). Well, we just NEVER could come up w/ anything that fit my rules so towards the end of the pregnancy I started seriously considering my DH''s (often) obsurd names. He''s a huge fan of Superman (Smallville) and Star Wars. So all of his suggestions were based on that (seriously...he told EVERYONE our son was going to be Darth or Vadar
20.gif
). The only name I would consider was Lex (aka Lex Luther) mainly because I had wanted Dexter (nn Dex) so it sounded similar. But one of my rules was always that the name had to sound good on a resume and seem grown up. So we decided on Alexander Thomas (nn Lex) the day after he was born
4.gif
Thomas is a family name (my dad, brother and dad''s uncle all share the name), so MN was picked from the very beginning.

Alexander is a beautiful name, it means ''a winner'' or, more precisely, something like ''tamer of men'' in Greek. It has a long history and I consider it ''royal''.

I just love his name now and couldn''t possibly think of him being anything else but Lex. I strongly pushed for Warren throughout my pregnancy, but as soon as he arrived I just knew it didn''t fit. I''m happy I took my DH''s crazy suggestions into consideration, well some of them anyway
2.gif

ETA: Just another note...Alexander didn''t even come close to fitting my ''rules.'' I didn''t want a name EVERYONE would shorten and I didn''t want a name in the top 25. It''s both...and because we don''t use the typical nickname we are constantly correcting people, but I love the name regardless.

''Alexander'' is a beautiful name. It means ''a winner'' or, better, ''tamer of men'' in Greek. Many strong men had this name, and to me it sounds royal.
I honestly never looked up the meaning of his name, so thank you for letting me know! I love the meaning and definitely think it fits his personality very well. I agree, it sounds royal to me as well
1.gif

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
My 14mo old is Sienna Mirabelle

Sienna - I''ve just loved for YEARS! And it suits her perfectly. There''s no special meaning for it.

Mirabelle - DHs grandma passed away when I was 24ish weeks pregnant. Her name was Miriam. We also like the there''s an A and a B in the name - to honor our grandfathers Albert and Ben. That name means a lot to us.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:44:10 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I am Lisa, and had 5 other Lisa''s in my class, so we all had to go by Lisa and the letter of our last name...
Lisa - I know the pain of dealing with having to put your last initial down on everything. What was worse for me is that as Michelle, not only were there many others with that name, there were others with the same last initial so I had to put the first two letters of my last name down. It drove me nuts. Whenever I hear someone named Jennifer or Michelle, I know they''re around my age or up to five years older.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
Our daughter''s name is Dalila Safiya. They''re Swahili names - Dalila means ''gentle'' and Safiya'' means ''pure''. DH and I wanted AFrican names to reflect our Afro heritage. We like the meaning and sound of the names (and many African names) as well.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maleah - pronounced differently in cambodian to mean "Jasmine" flower - my mom''s favorite flower scent (I did not know that this was Pres.Obama''s dd''s name as well until three days before we had her
20.gif
so many think I named her after Pres.Obama took office - Not so though) Spelling was purely easier for school but not literally when we chose it (spelled differently too in cambodian)

Calliahny - Kal- lee- awww- knee (another Cambodian spin - has a different pronounciation and spelled differently in cambodian as well) supposedly means good natured, kind hearted

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Katelyn Isabelle and Gabriel Jacob.

Katelyn means pure (never knew that!). I''ve loved the name since I first heard it and like how she can be called Katelyn, Kate, or Katie - that''s why we chose the spelling we did. (I also like Kaitlyn for spelling.) We really never even debated any other girl''s names - she was Katelyn right from the start.

Gabriel means "God is my strength" (who knew?). We had a harder time deciding on a boy''s name, as there were a few that I liked that hubby didn''t. Once we came up with Gabriel though, we were both sold :) It''s a nice, solid, masculine name (errr, except when people call him Gabrielle!).

Both middle names are named for my grandparents: Isabelle for my grandfather Israel, and Jacob for my Nana Jean. I didn''t know my grandfather but have heard wonderful things about him, and my Nana was very very special to me, so I am thrilled to pass their names on to my children. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy
1.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 12:33:49 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady
My daughter was named after my Mother and myself.. first name, middle name.. Audrey Kathleen. :) Mom passed away when I was eight.. and I took advantage of naming my daughter after her. My sisters weren''t too keen on the idea but it suits her beautifully.. she is a strong, intelligent, beautiful young lady, just as Mom was.
SDL, Audrey is my favourite name for a girl! I think you gave your daughter a beautiful name.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Tayva Rae (pronounced Tay- vah)

We wanted something unique and weren''t really agreeing on any names. DH saw the name Tava (Taw- vah) and wasn''t sure he liked it but changed it to a long "a" and asked me what I thought about Tayva and I loved it. So, she is Tayva. Since we pretty much made it up, I don''t think there''s a meaning. Her middle name is also my middle name and my MIL''s middle name.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so thankful that we had a set of opposite gender twins. I think if we would have had two boys, we would have looked rather conceited as we both have family names.

For the first 5 months, I kept trying to come up with names, but I think I was so busy with working and grad school that nothing came together. However, and this is quite ironic, I was at home in Alabama in my bedroom (where I am now, which is why it's ironic) and I said to Nate, I think we should name our son Hunter. I have to thank the ladies here at PS (specifically Monarch :)) for helping me come up with Grayson. So, his name means, one who hunts and is the son of the grey-haired one. Additionally, Grayson also means pleasant; however, that definition doesn't really fit because Gray is kind of high maintenance.

Initially, we were going to name Savannah, Spencer. Spencer is actually Nate's first name, but I kind of had to talk him out of it, because I know that he really wants to pass his name on to a boy (more on that in a minute). I'm a traditionalist. I like simple and classic, and I really love my Southern heritage. So, that's why I love the name Savannah. Not to mention it's simply beautiful. Nate's mom's name is Katherine, and she's such a wonderful lady I thought it was fitting her grandchild be named after her. Plus, the meaning is just the best, pure and virginal, and with a dad like Nate, I can pretty much guarantee that she's going to remain that way. Savannah means treeless plain, and even though there isn't a lot to that, I think it fits her, because to me it represents endless possibilities.

Nate and I both have family names and I think my dad pretty much assumed that I would continue the tradition and pass it on. And Nate's parents wanted his name passed on as well, which could have created a situation. Our family's get along great and we wanted to keep it that way. But since we've been thinking about adding another in the next year or so, he doesn't know it, but Spencer is at the top of my list, with Roman. We'll see how this all pans out though . . .

Sorry for the long post!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE this thread!

I have 2 sons, Jackson Charles and Logan Charles.

In my husband''s family, it is tradition to make the father''s first name the sons'' middle name. (My DH''s middle name is his father''s first name, just to clarify.)

Jackson was chosen as a name by DH long before he met me. It''s a little funny because my first name is Jackie and people assume he was named after me. I don''t always discourage that...but it was just an usual name back in the day,and one of DH''s favorite artists is Jackson Pollack. Who knew it would be so popular now?

Speaking of popular names, I thought Logan would be fairly uncommon. I wish there were a gorgeous tradition behind it, but I got to pick a name since DH named the other one. I have a huge crush on Hugh Jackman, and Logan is the name of his Wolverine character.

There, I said it.

They are both uber popular names, though. I wish they weren''t. A lot of names we loved were already used by our friends who got their reproductive acts together before we did. :)

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My children are all named after family members.

My eldest has my mother''s first name, Sarah, and her maiden name for a middle. For her second middle name, she has my mother-in-law''s middle name. (we had originally planned to use my MIL''s first name, but MIL doesn''t really like her first name much, so we went with her middle).

The middle one has my sister''s first name, Emily, and her last name (which is also my maiden name) for her middle name. Her second middle name is my SIL''s Vietnamese name.

My youngest has my father''s first name, Thomas, and his middle name is my grandmother''s maiden name (it''s also my middle name). His second middle name is my FIL''s name (and is also my husband''s middle name).

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter''s name is Marley. After Bob. I''m not a crazy stoner/hippie or anything, but I went through a really hard time in my life when I was younger and his music quite literally saved me. It''s so calm and soothing.

"Don''t worry... about a thing. ''Cause every little thing is gonna be alright..."

mtjoya

Brilliant_Rock
We are naming our bebe Jacqueline Angelica.

I have always loved the name Jacqueline and Angelica because that is my mom''s middle name & it''s my husband''s little sis that passed away when she was a baby.
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results