shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did I do that?!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Well I need some advice, I got new jewlery cleaner so I went alittle nuts cleaning all of my rings. I have this one ring that my Great Grandfather made. It is a white metal, not sure what it is and it has a .1/4 ct amethest in it. Anyhow, it always had this dull greyish black finish to it in certain areas. I dropped it in the cleaner and it came out bight white and shiny, which is great but it doesn''t look right now. Anyone know how to get that patina back? I can''t tell my Grandmother I did this, b/c she always thought that was part of the appeal to this ring and now I agree. Why did i do that!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I suspect the ring was silver and the black stuff was tarnish. Give it time and lots of oxygen and the black stuff will return.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... I know this is gonna sound weird...
20.gif
but it really does work!

Hard boil an egg and mash it up a little bit and put it in a zip lock bag. Put the ring in with the egg, seal the bag, and let it sit several hours to overnight. It will oxidize the ring in no time.

I actually tried it once and it worked!!!
1.gif

Lynn

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2005 3
6.gif
9:44 PM
Author: Lynn B
OK... I know this is gonna sound weird...
20.gif
but it really does work!

Hard boil an egg and mash it up a little bit and put it in a zip lock bag. Put the ring in with the egg, seal the bag, and let it sit several hours to overnight. It will oxidize the ring in no time.

I actually tried it once and it worked!!!
1.gif

Lynn
But how did it taste?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The egg trick will work on a silver ring. No doubt the ring will get VERY black, maybe too black. Then you can use a little silver polish to bring up some of the highlights once again. We use a very stinky liquid call Liver of Sulphur to oxidize silver. It has the same sulphurous fumes of spoiling eggs and sticks like a crate of old eggs. As sson as I open the bottle my employees start looking for whatever it is that stinks....

One can create oxidation on other metals, but not as easily as with sterling silver.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
Thank you for the info and suggestions. I will try the mashed up egg! Maybe I will do it and keep an eye on it so when it gets to the point where I like it I can remove it!! It is so funny to think! My husband is going to think I am crazy!! Have a great night.
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results