shape
carat
color
clarity

Why did Cartier use a sapphire with "fair" clarity?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I''''m looking at this ring here.

Fay Cullen''''s description rates the clarity of the sapphire as "fair." I would not expect Cartier to use stones with anything other than good clarity (perhaps the standards are very different for sapphires, which I know nothing about). Or maybe at that time when the ring was made, they weren''''t so picky about clarity?

Just curious and thought someone might enlighten me!

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, Gleam, that link is sending me to this post.
2.gif
Can you re-link the FC ring?

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
fiery, oops, weird! Sorry! http://www.faycullen.com/rings/800/fsn1101r5sd.html or click here

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
This is totally a guess on my part but I think that since it''s a cabachon that a "fair" clarity grade is acceptable. I particularly like the color in photo 7 in the additional photos. Also if my research serves me well sapphire is a type II gem so inclusions are a bit more acceptable or expected. I could be totally wrong though.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
No idea about the stone but I love their sales pitch...it sounds a bit like reading the label on a wine bottle.
18.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is that it has to do with being a cabochon as opposed to a faceted stone. Faceted stones are usually eye clean but with cabochons, they are cut that way to mask the inclusions. If faceted, the inclusions will most likely be too distracting, as such, I suspect, the cabochon is given a fair rating for clarity.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um, my gut feeling is that the original stone was replaced with an inferior one. That sapphire does not look like it would be Cartier cab standards.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results