shape
carat
color
clarity

Why aren''t there screens on windows?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
OK. I have lived in Europe before but never missed (or noticed missing) screens on the windows until I bought a house. In the UK, houses do not have screens on windows. I have a newly built house and no A/C - so of course we keep the windows open.
Is there a reason why no screens?? I have heard several reasons. They are usually on the line that "a long time ago" people were taxed on the number of windows on their house or the council taxed windows with curtains......

I don''t mean to offend anyone, just thought some brits could help out. Also if you live somewhere beside the USA or Canada - do you have screens??

I think I am getting fixated on screens
41.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m interested to see responses to this question as well, I have no idea...do they not have bugs in Europe, lol!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve lived in the UK most of my life and we have never had screens. I guess our bugs just aren''t deemed scary enough to need them! When I lived in Germany everyone had them as the mosquitos were vicious!

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Screens would have helped last fall - when we were attacked by the Daddy Longlegs!!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah yes! Lol if you have the light on and the window open they are drawn in! They really put the frights up me!!
23.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
It's normally too cold here I think!

I have a real hatred of net curtains that loads of Brits have. Every house I move into the first thing I do is go round and bin all the nets! Maybe they are instead of screens.

Mind you, I lived in Italy for 8 years and never saw screens there either and they had vicious mosquitos!

PS - I am presuming that screens are like mesh that fits over the windows so that you can have the window open but no insects?

If so - you can DIY with some mesh and sticky backed velcro. I did this in Italy when I was getting eaten to bits one summer. It worked really well.

ETA: Window tax was from 1696 until 1851 - you can often see bricked up windows in old buildings where people were reducing their tax burden. I wouldn't think it affected lack of screens.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ah, yes. This brings back memories of many, long frustrated discussions with my grad school room-mates. There are no screens where I was living in Italy, England, or Berlin or the Black Forest (not sure where you were in Germany... maybe a regional difference?), for example. I've always wondered about this discrepancy. I like screens myself, but some of my European friends insist that they 'cloud the view' out the window. Which is true (she says, looking out her screen door). But bugs v. marginally-better-view. Hmmm. I've got a tonne of spiders where I'm living, and while I find spiders completely fascinating, I'd rather look at them OUTside, know what I mean?

I suspect this is just a matter of habit. Screens were probably a N.American innovation that just hasn't caught on in old europa.

ETA: no screens that I recall anywhere I've stayed in SEAsia either.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I live in the USA in north-central Indiana. I do have screens (combo with storm windows) on all my windows, but this year I am in the process of painting my windows. I took the storm/screen windows out so I could paint the real windows. They have been out about a month now and I am actually surprised that I don''t really have that many bugs in my house. I don''t use AC so my windows are definitely open all the time. I try not to leave the lights on long though because like Maisie said the bugs are attracted to the lights.

I''ve stayed in the San Diego area and I remember being suprised at no screens there. But come to think of it, when I stayed in Europe I never saw screens either.

BZ

Rough_Rock
Considering that I just swatted a giagantic fly, I am wishing for screens. I don''t think it''s very common in Germany to have screens. Everyone seems to put up with the bugs and most people just talk about opening windows back up to let bugs out (very critter friendly around here). Germans have their windows open all the time. Even in the middle of winter, we have to open windows for fresh air.

I think it might be true that screens obstruct the view and make the windows harder to clean. Two very important things in this country.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I lived in Celle near Hanover. Definitely a lot of screens there. Maybe it was just all the British families hiding from the bugs!

A lot of Germans seem to open their windows wide and hang their bedding out all day too!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d never be able to deal without screens! How do you open the windows if you have indoor cats?!?!?

BZ

Rough_Rock
Maisie

I don''t get that either, the linens hanging out the window. My neighbor has dark linens and every morning that we leave the house, I see the comforter hanging out the window. I keep thinking that the linens must get dirty. I know my white ones would. Maybe they spend a lot of time cleaning windows and window sills. And maybe a lot less time doing laundry.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
There was an advert insert in the paper for screens that you can hang over your door - it said something like "put screens up like the Americans do". Funny.
We have a new house with nice double glazed windows and one would think that screens would be built in. I don't mind the bugs... well sometimes I do. I usually just open the window wider so the fly can get back out. But, it would be nice to have screens especially on the second floor (or first floor if you call the first floor the ground floor). We don't have a cat - but I do have a three year old. I don't like leaving her window open at all.

As BZ said, leaving windows open all year around is definately a European thing. Walking the dogs early in the morning I notice windows open - and its freezing outside! I remember my SIL had an au pair from Poland who would open up all the windows in the house (in dead of winter) during the day. My SIL got mad because the heater was still on.
6.gif

I do miss the metal shutters that we had in France and Switzerland. Shut the shutters and you could sleep til noon. It would be nice to have here since the sun comes up at 4am and doesn't set until 11pm. With the windows open (during summer) the birds wake me up at 3:30! Ahhhh the countryside
1.gif

BZ

Rough_Rock
I have a funny story about open windows in Germany. My daughter was born here in February. I was in a semi-private room. Both of us laying there with these day old infants in our arms and the nurse runs in and throws open the window saying that we need fresh air. Isn''t freezing cold air a little hard on a newborn?

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
My BFs ex-wife is from Holland. I noticed they didn''t have screens on there windows either, and I thought it was odd. I asked him why. He said in Holland everybody smokes, so they HAVE to keep the windows open! That''s probably just his theroy though.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 7:52:54 AM
Author: BZ
I have a funny story about open windows in Germany. My daughter was born here in February. I was in a semi-private room. Both of us laying there with these day old infants in our arms and the nurse runs in and throws open the window saying that we need fresh air. Isn''t freezing cold air a little hard on a newborn?
I had one of my daughters in Germany and while I was recovering in a shared hospital room (with no privacy screens or curtains) the nurse decided to come in and check me over - I am sure you know where I mean - and she expected to just do it with the room full of visiting relatives of the girl in the next bed!! I was like ''Hey! I don''t think so!!''

Also when my little one had bronchitis and was hospitalised they kept the windows open all the time - poor little one was freezing! And they tied her hands to the bed so she wouldn''t mess with the drip!

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 3:49:27 PM
Author: marvel
My BFs ex-wife is from Holland. I noticed they didn''t have screens on there windows either, and I thought it was odd. I asked him why. He said in Holland everybody smokes, so they HAVE to keep the windows open! That''s probably just his theroy though.
Thats funny. I worked in Amsterdam for four months. Our office had a room for smokers. It was weird - just an office where people could go in and smoke - nothing like sitting in a smoke filled room. I am not a smoker, but I think I would prefer to go outside to have a smoke and "fresh air".
I had an appartment not far from from the flower market - I don''t think I had screens. I was there during winter so I don''t think I even tried to open the windows. The ONE thing I did notice was that people seldom closed their curtains. Taking the tram home from work, you would have lovely views into peoples homes and you can see everything. It is even mentioned in a guide book... I dunno something to do with the "openess'' of the people.
I have to say - working there was fun.

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 4:09:37 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 6/5/2007 7:52:54 AM
I had one of my daughters in Germany and while I was recovering in a shared hospital room (with no privacy screens or curtains) the nurse decided to come in and check me over - I am sure you know where I mean - and she expected to just do it with the room full of visiting relatives of the girl in the next bed!! I was like ''Hey! I don''t think so!!''

Also when my little one had bronchitis and was hospitalised they kept the windows open all the time - poor little one was freezing! And they tied her hands to the bed so she wouldn''t mess with the drip!
Maisie, are you serious? Oh my!
32.gif

We will probably be in Stuttgart by next summer..... is there anything else I need to know???

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep I am totally serious. My daughter seemed to be improving so we were sent home with her but she became unwell again after a flight back the the UK when we went home for christmas. She ended up with Pneumonia and we nearly lost her at 5 months old.

The Germans doctors are amazing but they just don't have the bedside manner that we come to expect in UK hospitals. They didn't like me asking questions about the treatment - it was a case of 'why are you asking, its going to make her better - don't interfere'.

The only other thing that comes to mind is recycling - its a passion in Germany! Special bags for different recycling and two outside rubbish bins. Beware if you use the wrong bag or bin! They won't take them if you do!

Its a lovely clean country though - much more so than England!

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 4:24:03 PM
Author: Maisie
Yep I am totally serious. My daughter seemed to be improving so we were sent home with her but she became unwell again after a flight back the the UK when we went home for christmas. She ended up with Pneumonia and we nearly lost her at 5 months old.

The Germans doctors are amazing but they just don''t have the bedside manner that we come to expect in UK hospitals. They didn''t like me asking questions about the treatment - it was a case of ''why are you asking, its going to make her better - don''t interfere''.

The only other thing that comes to mind is recycling - its a passion in Germany! Special bags for different recycling and two outside rubbish bins. Beware if you use the wrong bag or bin! They won''t take them if you do!

Its a lovely clean country though - much more so than England!
Thanks so much for your reply. Although there are differences here in the UK hospitals and the US - I find it easy to deal with. We weren''t planning on moving so soon - we bought a house here and were planning on staying for quite awhile. I love our town and I look forward to my daughter starting reception next year. I guess there are good things and bad things with anywhere you live.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should stay put! Its lovely here!
9.gif

BZ

Rough_Rock
I just had to respond to Maisie''s comment on garbage. It has become like a second job for me. I spend more time sorting garbage than I care to admit. Plastic, paper, bio and just plain garbage. I hear that nosey neighbors will sometimes look in your garbage bins to make sure you are getting rid of stuff correctly. And approach you if your not doing it right!!!!!

Germany is lovely. We are on year 6 here and just love it. We live in Munich which is probably different than Hannover or Stuttgart, but we really like it. I love it that my kids are safe. In terms of medical care, I have been pretty pleased so far. A lot more homeopathic remedies here, but I don''t think that is a bad thing.

There is a great website you might want to check out. http://www.toytowngermany.com. It''s broken down by region. Lot''s of info there. Some of the topics are kind of funny. You will learn the best and worst of Germany.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 1:58:11 AM
I just had to respond to Maisie''s comment on garbage. It has become like a second job for me. I spend more time sorting garbage than I care to admit. Plastic, paper, bio and just plain garbage. I hear that nosey neighbors will sometimes look in your garbage bins to make sure you are getting rid of stuff correctly. And approach you if your not doing it right!!!!!

Germany is lovely. We are on year 6 here and just love it. We live in Munich which is probably different than Hannover or Stuttgart, but we really like it. I love it that my kids are safe. In terms of medical care, I have been pretty pleased so far. A lot more homeopathic remedies here, but I don''t think that is a bad thing.

There is a great website you might want to check out. http://www.toytowngermany.com. It''s broken down by region. Lot''s of info there. Some of the topics are kind of funny. You will learn the best and worst of Germany.
Lol! Its so true about your neighbours checking up on you! It happened to us loads. I also remember a time where we decided to recycle our glass beer bottles. The bins were at the end of our street and the residents across the road called the police on us because we were there just after 7pm (you couldn''t do it between 7pm - 8am). Should have seen us run!!!
9.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother is Dutch and I lived there until we moved to the States when I was six years old. It took me a long time to get used to the American taboo against looking in peoples'' windows!
2.gif
Where we lived in Holland, people decorated their living rooms so that the best view was from the sidewalk. My motheralwayspositioned her dining room table so that she could see out the front window to the street while we were eating.

It all made sense in the time I lived there. We didn''t have television sets (there was only one on the whole block) and very few people had cars, so a lot of people walked for excercise, entertainment, and transportation. We often went for a walk around the neighborhood after dinner. Not many people had telephones, so the uncovered windows and walks through the neighborhood also made it easier to check up on neighbors to see if they were OK to receive guests, or just if they were OK. The front window would be draped (in white, I think) if there was a death in the family.

As for screens -- well, I don''t recall having to deal with mosquitoes when I lived in Holland!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never been outisde of North America yet, which is probably why it seems very strange to me that people don''t have screens in their windows. Canadian bugs are huge and vicious, especially since I grew up in the woods!

It explains why my Italian ex-roommates would open the screens with the window!
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results