shape
carat
color
clarity

why are princess cuts so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i am just curious what people think. it is the one shape that i would never consider yet they are immensely popular...

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I think that a lot of younger women want something that looks a little different to their mother''s e-rings which tended to be RBs. They are looking for a more modern look, but one that is also sparkly like a RB rather than the less showy (but very elegant) emerald cut. I would imagine that princess cuts, once set, also sit well along side a wedding band. That''s what the younger women that I''ve seen wearing princess cut e-rings have told me, anyway.

I don''t think the majority would go for an even more unusual shape - oval, pear, radiant, asscher, heart etc

I see princess cuts as being seen as modern and slightly different while still being ''safe''.

What do others think?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
It''s a good question--they are not my personal cup of tea, but I know they are well-loved. I think it might be because they are the most readily available square cut out there in the "maul" and other mainstream B&M world? I mean, if you go into most zales or kays-esque stores asking about square cuts, a princess will be the first thing they''ll show you, and you''ll be lucky if they have more than a couple of radiant or EC stones. (And they WON''T have cushion, asscher, et al.) Just my theory.

But for those ladies out there who like a square cut and don''t have a fi who stumbled onto PS or the like....it''s probably just a question of them being readily available? It''s a pretty cut (I love PalmBayBabe''s stone in the LIW forum) but I just don''t like it for me.

princesslover

Rough_Rock
I, for one, love the elegance of a square diamond
30.gif
! I just got mine before Christmas, and everyone comments on what a good choice it was and how well cut it must be...

I think many people get hung up on the stereotype of a princess being too deep or shallow to exhibit any fire and brilliance in comparison to the RB. But now that I have mine, I am soooo happy with my choice! It sparkles like crazy and my FI tells me to turn it away when he''s driving because the sparkles hit him in the eyes!
1.gif

I posted many pics of mine here on PS and got so many compliments...
36.gif

For me, a factor in the decision, apart from the fact that I like the square shape, was the way the shape shows up the size.
Mine is a 1.16 ct. and people often mistake it for a 1.5 ct - most of them jewellers...(But then again, I got mine from Dirt Cheap Diamond''s signature collection, so it''s not as deep as your average mall princess)!

Also, the price was a factor for us! If I had lots of money, I STILL wouldn''t buy a RB - I would simply buy a HUGE H&A cushion from GOG!!
31.gif
30.gif

Dropdown3

Rough_Rock
I agree with the post above that it''s kind of modern to like the princess cut. I''m a traditionalist, I like the RB, however, my GF likes princess cut.

Princesslover: I''m also considering a diamond from dirtcheapdiamonds.com, are they reasonable on bands and setting everything up? Their prices are the best I''ve seen.

-Charles-

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 5:27:17 PM
Author: blueroses
I think it might be because they are the most readily available square cut out there in the ''maul'' and other mainstream B&M world? I mean, if you go into most zales or kays-esque stores asking about square cuts, a princess will be the first thing they''ll show you,
This is also what I think. When my then fiance and I first went shopping I picked out a princess cut, but then exchanged it for a RB a few days later. At the time, the ONLY square shape I knew of was princess-cut stones (keeping in mind, this was around 10 or so years ago!). Now, seeing all the other squarish shape options out there, I *for sure* would pick any one of them except a princess cut. It has a unique faceting pattern that just isn''t for me. . .I MUCH more would beg my husband (
2.gif
) for an asscher or a cushion cut stone.

amytude

Shiny_Rock
I agree with a lot of what has been said. I''m 32 and have friends who have been married, divorced, and those who''ve never been married. In this last group, princess cut is def. most desirable choice. I do really like this cut, though not much for myself. I have somewhat short & chubby fingers and I just don''t like the look of it on me. I think it gives wonderful fire & brilliance, though! I''m pretty sure that asscher is going to continue in popularity as well. I''m wondering about the cushion cut. I thought I would LOVE it, then once I saw a few in person I realized it wasn''t for me (as a wedding ring, anway). I would love a fancy colored cushion for my right hand!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thanks --very interesting and pretty on the mark--sounds right at least. and amytude er the cushion EXACTLY what happened tome. was dying for a cushion and looked at dozens and liked NONE. Ended up with an amazing EC from Dirt Cheap Diamonds -- I think those guys are really nice, they have terrific stones at their reach and their prices are the best by far!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 5:55:17 PM
Author: Dropdown3
I agree with the post above that it''s kind of modern to like the princess cut. I''m a traditionalist, I like the RB, however, my GF likes princess cut.

Princesslover: I''m also considering a diamond from dirtcheapdiamonds.com, are they reasonable on bands and setting everything up? Their prices are the best I''ve seen.

-Charles-
I adore DIRT CHEAP DIAMONDS-------------just bought from them and couldnt be more pleased all the way around

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 5:55:17 PM
Author: Dropdown3

-Charles-
Hey,
I''ve found them to be the most reasonable on the net and local B&M''s here in Canada!
I just opted for a cheap setting, since we had spent more than originally budgeted on the diamond. Compared to other sites I found all their settings to be reasonable - AND you''ll get a totally honest opinion from Jim and Josh...Great service!
36.gif

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 6:35:25 PM
Author: amytude
I agree with a lot of what has been said. I''m 32 and have friends who have been married, divorced, and those who''ve never been married. In this last group, princess cut is def. most desirable choice. I do really like this cut, though not much for myself. I have somewhat short & chubby fingers and I just don''t like the look of it on me. I think it gives wonderful fire & brilliance, though! I''m pretty sure that asscher is going to continue in popularity as well. I''m wondering about the cushion cut. I thought I would LOVE it, then once I saw a few in person I realized it wasn''t for me (as a wedding ring, anway). I would love a fancy colored cushion for my right hand!
I agree, one has to see what looks good on ones fingers...I''m a 4.75, and the 1.16ct princess looks just right for my hand!
I also like my fingernails squared off, so maybe that''s why..
19.gif

Here''s a pic of mine - don''t mind the broken nails I''m sporting at the moment...

IMGP1087.JPG

princesslover

Rough_Rock
oh, yuck - that pic turned out really ugly...
19.gif

aeli

Rough_Rock
Personally, I like the sparkle of a princess cut as opposed to other square stones (although square radiants and cushions are my favorite fancy shapes). As to why they''re so popular, I think Blueroses hit the nail on the head when she said they''re one of the more readily available square cuts. I went into Saks requesting to see a ring advertised in a magazine with a square radiant. The salesperson explained to me that there was "no such stone - the only square cuts are princess and square emeralds."
32.gif

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 7:48
6.gif
6 PM
Author: aeli
Personally, I like the sparkle of a princess cut as opposed to other square stones (although square radiants and cushions are my favorite fancy shapes). As to why they''re so popular, I think Blueroses hit the nail on the head when she said they''re one of the more readily available square cuts. I went into Saks requesting to see a ring advertised in a magazine with a square radiant. The salesperson explained to me that there was ''no such stone - the only square cuts are princess and square emeralds.''
32.gif
Aeli,
The sales people at chain stores or mall- stores don''t have a clue about diamonds at all- I totally agree!...

But when I picked my princess I did a lot of research on the net, and really liked the shape, and found that if you find a well cut princess you can still have lots of sparkle.
I for one really like the "star" pattern in the princess...I''ll try to post a picture of it so you can see why I like my princess...

IMGP1237.JPG

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Princesslover.. What is the stats of your princess... It is beautiful !!! Thanks!! Abbott

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Princesslover,
Your ring is gorgeous -- I love it.

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous and it looks HUGE!!!
30.gif

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 9
6.gif
6.gif
7 PM
Author: abbott
Princesslover.. What is the stats of your princess... It is beautiful !!! Thanks!! Abbott
Thanks folks,

just wanted to let you guys see that a princess can also be nice - although I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
28.gif

It''s a 1,16ct
GIA graded
G colour
SI1
table 69
depth 72.1
crown 9% (which people tell me all the ime is not high enough, but I beg to differ...)
girdle medium - thick

the rest of th measurements I can''t remember...

Sooooo many people love this ring, so I feel good about my princess!

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Princesslover... When you were looking for your diamond... what range % were you looking for the depth??? for the table??? Thanks!! ABBOTT

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
I love the clean lines and the fire my princess puts off. Plus, how else would people know we''re a princess while our tiara''s are being cleaned!!!
9.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 7:48
6.gif
6 PM
Personally, I like the sparkle of a princess cut as opposed to other square stones (although square radiants and cushions are my favorite fancy shapes). As to why they''re so popular, I think Blueroses hit the nail on the head when she said they''re one of the more readily available square cuts. I went into Saks requesting to see a ring advertised in a magazine with a square radiant. The salesperson explained to me that there was ''no such stone - the only square cuts are princess and square emeralds.''
32.gif
well i didnt start the post as an i hate princess cut thing--it was prompted by an enormous number of posts about people looking for them and i just have never even considered them so i was just curious.................princess lover your ring sis stunning!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Man!! There seem to be alot of haters on here! To me, princess cuts are unique. It seems everyone and their mom have RB''s these days. For some people, it looks good, but I love the fact that I have something different on my finger. They are becoming more common though, I that kinda irks me.

BlingQueen, you are too funny! You hit the nail on the head with your comment on informing people of our "status" while the tiaras are not around! LOL
16.gif

aeli

Rough_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99.38%; HEIGHT: 100px">Date: 1/28/2005 12
6.gif
6:33 AM
Author: windowshopper
well i didnt start the post as an i hate princess cut thing--it was prompted by an enormous number of posts about people looking for them and i just have never even considered them so i was just curious.................princess lover your ring sis stunning!
Sorry if my earlier post sounded...accusatory somehow - it certainly wasn''t meant that way. Actually, it''s very interesting hearing all the different views on the different shapes because I''ve often wondered the same thing myself. In fact, I would never have considered a pear, but I think this one is quite lovely.

pear ring.jpg

princesslover

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 11
6.gif
1:48 PM
Author: abbott
Princesslover... When you were looking for your diamond... what range % were you looking for the depth??? for the table??? Thanks!! ABBOTT
Sorry, my internet''s been down...
29.gif

I wanted a princess with a table range of 65%-69% and a depth that was around 69%-72%.

Many people had told me to get one with a high crown, but Josh and Jim from DCD said this one was a "jaw-dropper", and from Dave Atlas had told me, they are considered very honest in this trade, so I trusted their opinion. And, like I said earlier, so many people comment on how sparkly my ring is!

I went into a diamond jeweller, and pretended to be interested in an upgrade, just to get an idea of how mine measured up to the ones they had
27.gif
The girl then told me they had a bigger stone, but it was "only" a good cut, and that since mine was obviously an "excellent" cut, she would recommend that I keep mine and go for a more elabourate wedding band!

She even told all the sales staff to come and look at my ring!

So, I think if you prefer the square shape, there''s nothing prettier than a well- cut princess!
I LUUUVE the clean lines also! Looks quite elegant...

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2005 11:44:23 AM

style="WIDTH: 99.38%; HEIGHT: 100px">Date: 1/28/2005 12
6.gif
6:33 AM
Author: windowshopper
Sorry if my earlier post sounded...accusatory somehow - it certainly wasn''t meant that way. Actually, it''s very interesting hearing all the different views on the different shapes because I''ve often wondered the same thing myself. In fact, I would never have considered a pear, but I think this one is quite lovely.
its funny you mention that ring--i too am not a "pear" person but that ring is awesome. i didnt atke it as accusatory just wanted to make sure people understood it was just general curiosity

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Windowshopper--I''m going to go look on DCD right now. I''m also looking for an EC. I have read a lot of yours and kevinraja''s posts and it has helped. I think shape is soooo inheritently personal to each individual. I kept "wanting" to love rb''s (and I do, of course), but when I tried on an EC for the 1st time it was like, "wow, this is what I want!".

DH and I had a really long talk last night about the budget of my ring. I just wish we were rich and $$$ wasn''t a concern. It''s difficult for DH to see how anyone would want to spend X number of dollars on a diamond. Ah, well, I''m sure we''ll talk more this weekend...

Buster_DL

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend told me VERY little about the type of ring she wanted, but one thing she did hint at was the fact she liked princess cuts. I started out researching them when I came upon the tutorials here and at GOG. I''m someone who learns everything they can about something before plopping down big chunks of change, and through my research I started leaning towards RB''s. Seemed to me that it was much easier to quantify the quality and cut of these, and I felt like I could get a better stone of a known quantity going with a RB. Nearly all of my friends had bought princess cuts for their lady too, so I also didn''t want to have a ring just like theirs''. RB''s might be considered a bit old fashioned by some perhaps, but also very classy and elegant as well, just like my gal!

Anways, the point of my story is that once I gave her the ring (solitaire RB setting) she was blown away...and she now states that she prefers RB''s over princess cuts. My point isn''t that they are inferior, it''s just that once you know more about these stones I tend to think the RB may stand out a bit more in your mind. Different strokes for different folks though...that''s what makes this place great!

Buster

icekid

Ideal_Rock
as others have touched upon, and being a member of the "younger" generation, i would have to agree that the younger crowd today sees the princess as "different." unfortunately, everyone thought it was different and unique... and now everyone has one! it was the easy way to do something different, though i would definitely consider it more of the norm these days. before i found PS, i was thinking about a princess. but now with seeing everything else that is out there, it''s definitely not the cut for me. cushion all the way!

i also don''t want to have the exact same ring as everyone else, so hopefully the cushion isn''t going to gain TOO much ground, though i suppose that would make a really nice one a bit easier to find!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
......sigh.......
38.gif
7.gif
14.gif
39.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I just noticed this comment made by moosewendy about princess cut diamonds in a thread about new cut grades for princess diamonds.

The beauty of the princess from a manufacturing standpoint is that it follows the outline of a rough crystal so perfectly. The flat crown allows you to get away with sawing through the middle to get 2 more or less equal size stones. I don''t know of any other diamond cut which allows you to do this and still have a decently looking stone. It is this manufacturing edge which accounts for the flood of princesses on the market - not the inherent beauty of the stone.

It''s interesting to see it from the Producer/Vendor''s viewpoint as opposed to the Consumer''s. I''m sure availability/price has a lot to do with people''s choices as well as personal choice/fashion.

BTW I''m fairly neutral about princess cut diamonds - don''t mind them one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results