shape
carat
color
clarity

why a pave setting ? if you''re ....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
afraid of stones popping out
20.gif
ladies here spent thousands of $$$''s on a big name brand pave setting and yet afraid to use an ultrasonic cleaner. if i spent that kind of money on a setting,it better pass the ultrasonic test.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I don't wear any jewelry when I'm gardening or doing housework or playng badminton and I won't use an ultrasonic cleaner at all. I don't trust ultrasonics because I don't know their long-term effects on the stones or the settings. Stones won't fall out of a well-crafted pave' ring as long as the wearer is careful. (My pave' ring was made in the 1920's. I've had it since 1973 and haven't lost any stones from it.)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, and use my ultrasonic on my halo ring several times a week.

But what about those who have already had settings made, and when they check with the maker, the maker says, ''don''t put in in the ultrasonic.'' What to do then? Sorta late to do anything about it at that point. I do think that pave should pass the ultrasonic test if done properly but perhaps over time, we''re all gonna experience a stone coming loose whether done properly or not?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i wonder is it fact or fiction
20.gif
to not to use an US on a pave setting.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
For me, I don't like the idea of a US. I'm not sure why. My ring is covered in pave and I actually enjoy 'scrubbing' it by hand. Then I know I got all the cracks and crevices. I think that a well-made pave ring should withstand a US, but as FireGoddess said, not every day for years. To me, US's just seem unnecessary. I clean my ring everyday without any machine and it couldn't be cleaner.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Well stone me because I have never used or bought an US in my whole life. A 60 second swirl & scrub with Goddard''s Liquid Jewelry cleaner works for me - not to mention a list of stores I browse in Manhattan & hit up for complimentary steam cleans.

Psss... I do have issues - I clean my ring morning, noon & night... yep the Mr. Clean in me is that bad.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pave setting and a halo. I told my jeweler that I bought an US and asked him if there was anything I should know about using it on my rings...he said no...he didn't have any concerns. And if something did happen to one of the stones, isn't that what insurance is for?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe....
5.gif

that's me giggling at those who think that their rings are clean by hand scrubbing. in a cute, non making fun of way of course because i am just teasing.

BUT i giggle because i hand cleaned my rings DAILY and sometimes TWICE a day with cleaner and windex and ammonia and this and that for 2 years.

but guess what? my rings and stones were dirty!!! they may not have looked it but they were. that first bout in the US was like a light streaming down from the sky. these stones are like MAGNETS for dust and dirt. my rings even are dirty 30 minutes after i take them out and wear them around because CA is very dry. also i honestly felt like i could never quite get the pavilion clean with a quick scrub and 2 min in the US does the trick.

after we had that epiphany at WF where the clean stones that Brian showed us made Alj's stones look like dirty poo even though she had just scrubbed them that morning by hand...we were like OMG. maybe we should try a US. and boom.

i may not have a steam cleaner but i would not give up my US....i use it daily at least if not more than once a day. i wouldn't buy a ring i couldn't US because it would bug me mentally knowing that hand cleaning was SO not cutting it.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Mara - That''s why I go incognito & hit up for steam cleans (mission impossible music plays through my mind...). Plus it''s a fabulous way to ogle the baubles. Like I need an excuse!

Seriously - If all those high-end stores make the connection I''ll be on their next "Most Wanted" poster.. (lol)

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, well I still think that my ring is very clean. My setting gives me access to the pavillion so I can clean it. Plus, since I don''t work and I don''t wear my ring around the house, it gets very little wear. Maybe 2 hours a week, if I''m lucky.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2006 7:08:32 PM
Author: Diam100
Well stone me because I have never used or bought an US in my whole life. A 60 second swirl & scrub with Goddard''s Liquid Jewelry cleaner works for me - not to mention a list of stores I browse in Manhattan & hit up for complimentary steam cleans.

Psss... I do have issues - I clean my ring morning, noon & night... yep the Mr. Clean in me is that bad.
if it survived the high pressure steamer,it will survive in the US cleaner.
2.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I am afraid to put my halo ring in my SI UC. I put it in Miracle Clean, but maybe I should use the UC. I am afraid to do it since others here have lost pave stones out of their VERY expensive settings. But then I wear my halo ring in our hot tub, which I''m sure has more force and pressure than the little UC has. I just don''t want to go through the hassle of getting stones replaced. And when I hear Leon Mege stones fall out (not one, but two, in the same ring), that is a REALLY scary thought.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2006 3:06:09 PM
Author: FireGoddess

But what about those who have already had settings made, and when they check with the maker, the maker says, ''don''t put in in the ultrasonic.'' What to do then? Sorta late to do anything about it at that point. I do think that pave should pass the ultrasonic test if done properly but perhaps over time, we''re all gonna experience a stone coming loose whether done properly or not?
then,i would ask him... is your craftsmenship that bad ?
20.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Tonight''s Dinner conversation in a little NYC restaurant:

Me: Hun, what do you think of an Ultrasonic?

Him: Why would you ask?

Me: Jewelry Cleaning.

Him: Really, what if I bought one.

Me: For me?

Him: No, for my train parts.

Me: What!

Result, one big fat commercial ultrasonic cleaner thanks to me mentioning Dancing Fire''s thread!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 11:31:50 PM
Tonight''s Dinner conversation in a little NYC restaurant:

Me: Hun, what do you think of an Ultrasonic?

Him: Why would you ask?

Me: Jewelry Cleaning.

Him: Really, what if I bought one.

Me: For me?

Him: No, for my train parts.

Me: What!

Result, one big fat commercial ultrasonic cleaner thanks to me mentioning Dancing Fire''s thread!
That just cracked me up!!
3.gif
See what you have caused DF?? What a riot... Tell him he can have his own one, and you can have a special one just for YOU
2.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I should have edited that dear hubby also added on our walk back home that his birthday was coming up and that "I" should buy this monster as a present. So, now I had to buy this huge thing off the internet tonight 10 minutes ago along with a supply of baskets @#$%.....

Hmmmmm wonder what kind of "Bow" I should get any ideas on how to wrap DANCINGFIRE!!!!!

Next time I'm keeping the conversation to "Baubles" only!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2006 11:43:11 PM
Yes, I should have edited that dear hubby also added on our walk back home that his birthday was coming up and that ''I'' should buy this monster as a present. So, now I had to buy this huge thing off the internet tonight 10 minutes ago along with a supply of baskets @#$%.....

Hmmmmm wonder what kind of ''Bow'' I should get any ideas on how to wrap DANCINGFIRE!!!!!

Next time I''m keeping the conversation to ''Baubles'' only!
how big is it ?
20.gif
the same kind of bow that people put on top of the roof on a brand new car.
16.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 1:38:59 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/5/2006 11:43:11 PM
Yes, I should have edited that dear hubby also added on our walk back home that his birthday was coming up and that ''I'' should buy this monster as a present. So, now I had to buy this huge thing off the internet tonight 10 minutes ago along with a supply of baskets @#$%.....

Hmmmmm wonder what kind of ''Bow'' I should get any ideas on how to wrap DANCINGFIRE!!!!!

Next time I''m keeping the conversation to ''Baubles'' only!
how big is it ?
20.gif
the same kind of bow that people put on top of the roof on a brand new car.
16.gif
You are very clever DF, good one, LOL!!!
3.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I use my US on my pave setting all the time. If a stone comes loose in time, it comes loose. Replace it. One of my stones fell out after I had my sizing beads put in (granted she replaced it for free for not checking it after adding the beads). It isnt that much of a hassel and if they are getting lose better to have it in the cleaner, eh?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I use my ultrasonic cleaner on my pave as well and have never had a problem. I have a pave heart pendant and pave huggie earrings that I''ve had for years and I''ve had my three stone ring with pave on the shank for a year now.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Any jeweller who would advise against using an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner obviously knows that their settings are problematic.
If your setting is made of platinum, a hot tub is no problem.
If it''s made of 14 k white gold, you are in for some disappointments down the road. The chlorine is very destructive to 14 k white, and will eventually destroy the integrity of the metal. Take it off before your dip. The ring...I mean.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have any pave, but I''ve been using my new UC every day since last Wednesday and I swear it''s like I got all new jewelry!!!

By the way, can I use the regular amonia/water/dish soap solution for my sapphire ring too or do I need something more gentle? I''ve been afraid to put the sapphire in the amonia solution without some advice... )

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 11:20:04 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 6/5/2006 3:06:09 PM
Author: FireGoddess

then,i would ask him... is your craftsmenship that bad ?
20.gif
Gonna say that to Leon Mege? I thought Leon advised several clients not to use an ultrasonic.
2.gif
I haven''t lost a stone yet to the UC...and seriously the clean is like no other!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I don''t use one because Whiteflash told me not to with my ring. I never considered that to mean that their settings are made poorly.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diam100 -- thanks for my laugh of the day!
9.gif
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have had jewelers, from small local ones to Cartier, Tiffany''s and Harry Winston all advise against it for pave. This even though I did not own a pave ring by them (except for Cartier). They are making more of a general comment as to the long term feasiblilty of using one. I do not think it is a quality issue...pave is set in a certain way and it is simply not as durable as a prong set stone. I am not sure anyone can make a pave setting that can be guaranteed to withstand certain types of trauma...from banging the item to rough handling, etc. Also, losing a stone out of pave ring would not be worth a call to the insurance company, from what I can tell, I have a pave bangle that has lost a couple stones over the years and when I get it fixed the jeweler does not charge me. It is overall a small repair and not worth making a claim over unless you lose quite a few at one time.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve lost 2 small stones over time in my ring, but they had nothing to do with the ultrasonic...they had to do with me being a clumsy fool. Both times my local person replaced them for free.
1.gif

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
I thought Sapphires were a no-no in the UC. Along with most other softer stones and pearls, it eats them. And never put a treated stone in the UC either.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have a micropave ring and use the ultrasonic a lot. I am not too worried about losing a stone. Better to lose it in the US than on the ground somewhere.
2.gif

ETA: I forget that after I use the US, I still use a baby toothbrush with hot water to give it a final scrub. I know, I know, I am anal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results