shape
carat
color
clarity

Who's getting ready for Easter? Whatcha doing?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm having family over for dinner. Looking forward to it but I wish I'd have gotten more done yesterday. I really like spreading the preparations out over a few days so I can enjoy it without being tired out or stressed.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother's house we go!
Little nieces nephews and screamy fits. Egg hunting, running, and glazed ham bits.
Too much candy that I won't eat, until it hits nighttime and then I'll sneeeeak!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was absent from family events and holidays all last year so I’m thinking of going to Easter since I’m off from work anyways. They are doing a brunch though, so it looks like we will be going to that and then going to the diner for dinner. I didn’t anticipate having to worry about dinner Sunday, but brunch is not going to hold everyone until bedtime.

So, brunch at the cousin’s house and then the diner.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Argh, it’s a bittersweet Easter for me this year. Going to my parents’ house for the last time and the last egg hunt there. My niece is 16 and my daughter will be 12 soon. It will be the 2nd Easter without my dad. My mother is allegedly moving into a condo she purchased this summer (I have my doubts that she’ll actually go through with it) but wants the girls to have one last Easter at their home while she’s still there.

I ordered an ice cream cake in the shape of an Easter bunny, picking it up tomorrow to bring. Will also bring shrimp, deviled eggs. DD will get her basket Sunday morning and then we’ll head down to the family property.

How tacky is this cake?! I had to do it, the cake itself is so good! Sure is ugly, though.

IMG_3986.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have been selling our hot cross buns at work for the last few weeks
on Thursday i did an extra shift as we were closed Good Friday (its the law here) and we had to do our big clean a day early, we had a very good day and sold alot of buns
Saturday is a normal trading day so we sold more hot cross buns, our bakers were busy in the night
we close at 1.30 on a Saturday so at 1pm the boss said we could give away any that were left, we wont be having any more till next year (in less they have any of the stuff they make the cross with left over but the boss is religouse so probably not)
our buns are the best in town with lots of spice and traditional fruit
1711774270019.png

I feel like ive missed out on the holiday as Sunday and Monday are my usual day's off
anyway Happy Easter
im looking forward to seeing The King and Queen go to church -but by them it will be Monday for me
i have eatten a lot of chocolate and surprisingly even have some left for tomorrow

i brought a leg of lamb last week for tomorrow
i also brought pickled pork as we always had that at home because it was dad's favourite and usually at EAster it was dad or mum's birthday but this year easter is early so i might leave the pork in the freezer till next weekend

we always had our ester eggs on friday because mum's family could never wait but dad's family had them on sunday
i will be having lots of butter and peanut butter on my buns (Gary's sister put be onto that one) but i have packed so many of them the last few weeks im kind of sick of the sight of them so i have packets and packets in the freezer saved for latter

Last edited:

HGar

Shiny_Rock
My house has been Easter-fied since March 1st. We have a quiet Easter this year since our 18yo has a new part time job so she is working Thurs-Mon before returning to University 2hrs away. As Daisy said about NZ, here in Australia most businesses close both Good Friday and Easter Sunday but the new company she works for owns a chain of local coffee shops so they have chosen to stay open every day from 6-3, triple time for her Friday and Sunday shifts, time and a half Saturday and double time Monday so I have no doubt she’ll love her pay packet next week. The 16yo kiddo is currently living in Houston Texas so we don’t need to cater to him at present. The only kid left is 14 so happy to amuse himself. We on the other hand are using the time to ready one of our properties to go back on the rental market. The last tenant was there for 13yrs so it was pretty untidy. IMG_3500.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3499.jpeg
    IMG_3499.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3504.jpeg
    IMG_3504.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3503.jpeg
    IMG_3503.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3505.jpeg
    IMG_3505.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 25

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My house has been Easter-fied since March 1st. We have a quiet Easter this year since our 18yo has a new part time job so she is working Thurs-Mon before returning to University 2hrs away. As Daisy said about NZ, here in Australia most businesses close both Good Friday and Easter Sunday but the new company she works for owns a chain of local coffee shops so they have chosen to stay open every day from 6-3, triple time for her Friday and Sunday shifts, time and a half Saturday and double time Monday so I have no doubt she’ll love her pay packet next week. The 16yo kiddo is currently living in Houston Texas so we don’t need to cater to him at present. The only kid left is 14 so happy to amuse himself. We on the other hand are using the time to ready one of our properties to go back on the rental market. The last tenant was there for 13yrs so it was pretty untidy. IMG_3500.jpeg

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is like the good old days with those pay rates
she will be a happy camper
i'd happily roll out of bed for those rates, and she deserves them giving up her holiday, i hope the customers are nice for her and her workmates
your house looks beautiful BTW

HGar

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Daisy, I hadn’t decorated for Easter as much over the last few years. This year my husband had flown over to be with our son for his first competition in Florida and I was bored, so it went a bit over the top. I do love that I get to use my Royal Albert China - it was my 21st birthday present from my Mum and Dad and since our kids are no longer savages, it’s a lovely momento.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

the dinner set is gorgeous
i got the moonlight rose one for my 21st, just the tea set but i have loads of different pieces

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I decided not to cook this year. So Italian take out yesterday and Japanese today. Champagne. Not sure about tomorrow Sunday supper. Bought some chocolate eggs but I don't eat them--hope my family takes care of them!

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having family over for dinner. Looking forward to it but I wish I'd have gotten more done yesterday. I really like spreading the preparations out over a few days so I can enjoy it without being tired out or stressed.

What's on your menu?

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
we are staying home today, just me, hubby and grown son...was gonna have spiral ham, sweet potatoes and grilled asparagus, went to the store early and came home with a standing rib roast...welp menu changed to prime rib, sweet potato casserole and grilled asparagus, our son is a chef wanna be and has always wanted to make prime rib...so he is cooking it...me I am having a Nathan's hot dog lol...not a fan of ham or prime rib....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I broke down and bought a prime rib. We do need to eat.....but not one of the big meals I usually do on holidays. Scalloped potatoes with zucchini and roasted asparagus with balsamic vinegar and parmesan. That's it. blah blah and booze.

cheers--Sharon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
yum to all this fresh asparagus
i guess it is spring up there

we are just getting the last of the stone fruit in the shops
i do have a watermellon in the fridge
we wernt hungry enough to cook the lamb, ill do it in the slow cooker for tea after work one day this week

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i dont want to see another hot cross bun for 11 months
the lady at the neighbourhod grocery shop next door whispered in our ears leftover easter eggs will be discounted on friday :lickout::appl::lickout::appl::lickout::appl:

LOL! I bought discounted chocolate eggs today for my family. I was surprised how much stuff was left on the shelf.

HGar

Shiny_Rock
i dont want to see another hot cross bun for 11 months

Our 16yo has just said that he was surprised that hot cross buns weren’t that popular in the USA. His family he is living with tracked some down at Wholefoods for him but to his dismay the cross was icing - he was devastated, however not so devastated that he didn’t eat 8 out of the 9 LOL. His gorgeous American family did not like them at all - maybe we need to send over some delicious Aus / NZ versions, Daisy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our 16yo has just said that he was surprised that hot cross buns weren’t that popular in the USA. His family he is living with tracked some down at Wholefoods for him but to his dismay the cross was icing - he was devastated, however not so devastated that he didn’t eat 8 out of the 9 LOL. His gorgeous American family did not like them at all - maybe we need to send over some delicious Aus / NZ versions, Daisy.

sounds like he is having a great time
i cannot imangine a hot cross bun with icing, it might just change the whole flavor

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL! I bought discounted chocolate eggs today for my family. I was surprised how much stuff was left on the shelf.

here i think its from covid
our first lock down was over easter so the neighbourhod 4 squares (little brother grocery shop of one of the big supermarkets) all ran out of eggs as no way did they have enough easter eggs that year when people were surposed to be shopping close to home (we shopped there because i was terrifyed of going to the big supermarkets in town and we couldnt get a delivery and we managed to get toilet paper any time we wanted it but no easter eggs) so ever since they have heaps of easter eggs in the lead up to easter
the 4 square next door to work still has a ton of easter eggs,i heard a rumour they will be discounting them on friday

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
our first lock down was over easter so the neighbourhod 4 squares (little brother grocery shop of one of the big supermarkets) all ran out of eggs as no way did they have enough easter eggs that year when people were surposed to be shopping close to home (we shopped there because i was terrifyed of going to the big supermarkets in town and we couldnt get a delivery and we managed to get toilet paper any time we wanted it but no easter eggs) so ever since they have heaps of easter eggs in the lead up to easter
the 4 square next door to work still has a ton of easter eggs,i heard a rumour they will be discounting them on friday

I think it is bc groceries (for basics) are so expensive people just can't afford extras.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it is bc groceries (for basics) are so expensive people just can't afford extras.

yes, that too :(2

this year i was determined not to miss out so i brought them over a few shops (and tried not to eat too many early;)2)
we had very low low single didget inflation for most of my working life, low wages but we lived reasonably well
now i look at our fortniightly grocery bill and wonder how ordinary families manage? :(2
before covid our bill was about $300 including cat food,for the two of us once a fortnight with no top up shops in between
i cooked mostly from scratch, so in the groceries not a lot of treats (there were some) but plenty of veg and meat, pantry staples, baking supplies, fruit, dairy, cereal, good coffee and all the basics including cleaning supplies, loo roll, shampoo, shower gel, soap etc etc etc
and that $300 that was a bulging grocery trolley full, it would fill the whole back of the Isuzu 4x4 or if delivered would fill the front porch and spill out onto the driveway, the pantry and fridge and freezer would be bulging and i was savvy with beans and pulses to extend some meat dishes
nowdays its $500 and that's sh*t coffee and no bread (as thankfully we get that free from work, and i also dont have to bake anymore ) and i look in the cupboards and think what is for tea (dinner) tonight ?
and i have to spend more on catfood down at the butcher (and meat for us too ):x2
and the groceries fit comfertably into the front porch and i will have forgotten to buy shampoo or toothpaste or something else essential
:(2

anyway sorry, i just had to rant
we are having hot cross buns for breakfast, mine with peanut butter and his with jam and peanut butter
there are at least another 4 doz in the freezer

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went on the first camping trip in 2024 with the dog, discounting the trip over the New Year weekend 2023 into 2024, from Thursday to Tuesday to avoid the traffic.

Good job I left the house and arrived at the campsite shortly after 13:00 when the site opened to allow arrivals, as the route I took was flooded and impassable in places due to very stormy and wet weather.

Once I hooked up the van, the dog and I spent most of the rest of the day inside to stay dry. It was very wet and windy, and the van was swaying in the wind!

The weather was mostly unsettled. The sun did make an appearance on Saturday, however, it was so frigging cold and windy, I could not stay long sitting outside.

The first trip out over Easter is normally prepared as a cold weather trip with appropriate clothing and food, as in layers, waterproof socks and jackets; and no salad or BBQs.

It was good in that it was a change of scenery, got to meet up with friends, and the dog enjoyed his walks and run around in the big field next to the campsite.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i
I went on the first camping trip in 2024 with the dog, discounting the trip over the New Year weekend 2023 into 2024, from Thursday to Tuesday to avoid the traffic.

Good job I left the house and arrived at the campsite shortly after 13:00 when the site opened to allow arrivals, as the route I took was flooded and impassable in places due to very stormy and wet weather.

Once I hooked up the van, the dog and I spent most of the rest of the day inside to stay dry. It was very wet and windy, and the van was swaying in the wind!

The weather was mostly unsettled. The sun did make an appearance on Saturday, however, it was so frigging cold and windy, I could not stay long sitting outside.

The first trip out over Easter is normally prepared as a cold weather trip with appropriate clothing and food, as in layers, waterproof socks and jackets; and no salad or BBQs.

It was good in that it was a change of scenery, got to meet up with friends, and the dog enjoyed his walks and run around in the big field next to the campsite.

DK :))

it doesn't sound like it was un-fun =)2

your Easter weather sounds like our labor weekends (October) very hit and miss, :(2

some years beautiful other years wind and rain blowing the blossom off the cherry trees

i hope the flooding was not too severe
i bet the dog had a great time:lol-2:
i guess that's the advanantage of the camper van compaired to a tent, wet weather doesnt bother you, warm and dry inside,=)2 plus you can touch the sides without compromising water tightness !:lol-2:
the wind doesnt sound nice but wind not at all pleasent in a tent either:(2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds there wasn't a single tent in sight, and I would not have camped in a tent even if I still had my cotton canvas Dutch pyramid tent which was supposed to be storm resistant if pitched with the sloping side towards the wind.

It was really bad that night!

DK :confused2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds there wasn't a single tent in sight, and I would not have camped in a tent even if I still had my cotton canvas Dutch pyramid tent which was supposed to be storm resistant if pitched with the sloping side towards the wind.

It was really bad that night!

DK :confused2:

but you and doggy and the camper survived it !
a test of the elements and you perservered and pervailed
and you get a cool tale to tell !

in the words of Bruce Springsteen
one day we will look back and it will all seem funny

(as uaual excuse my terrible spelling)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results