shape
carat
color
clarity

Who would you ask to custom cut an Amethyst?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I am searching for an amethyst for a custom ring project. I want a square cushion with rounded corners, about 8 mm in diameter. The setting is not inexpensive, so I want a really good quality amethyst, but I also don''t want to over pay. (i.e., I can''t justify paying $1,000 for a 3 carat amethyst just because it is cut by a famous lapidary artist.)

Who would you recommend that can source great amethyst rough and cut a beautiful cushion?

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Amethyst is one of the most inexpensive gemstones around, quartz, so you should not be in danger of spending too much, assuming you aren''t in the hands of a total thief.

Four Peaks Amethyst is very beautiful and unique, check Colorado Gem & Minerals for that, he has the market for 4 Peaks kind of tied up for boring reasons I won''t repeat here.

Same site and others also have beautiful amethyst from Brazil and Afghanistan.

You will want to decide how deep you want the purple to be and if you want the red flashes (more expensive).

Barry Bridgestock has some very good amethyst.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Stoniegrl. I looked at the website for Colorado Gem & Minerals. I like the idea of Four Peaks Amethyst, since this is a birthstone ring for me and I was born and raised in Arizona, but those stones, while beautiful, are more reddish than I have in mind for this project. I would like a stone that is more bluish violet, although red flash in a bluer stone would be great.

I am looking to create a ring similar to this one in either white or rose gold. http://www.cartier.us/#/media/images/show-me/product-visuals/b4079200_1-png?view=1 I didn''t like the cut of the amethyst at Cartier because I could see the setting through the table of the stone. I am hoping to get a better quality stone if I go custom.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good quality...and i mean Good Quality....amethyst should be had for about $90 per carat.

you''re in luck that the tucson show is coming up as you could get a vendor to buy some rough to your specifications: do you want red flashes? blue and red flashes? blue flashes only? do you want one that looks like grape jelly? there is variation in amethyst and its all good when of high quality, imo.

i''d ask gene at precisiongem.com to cut such a stone for me.

mz

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You could ask amguy who has posted on here previously. He sells on E-bay as 770amguy and has some material up there now. The material from Jackson''s crossroad often has blue flash. I like Zambian material, but it isn''t always as clean as one might want, (it''s often so saturated that those inclusions are very hard to see, so no big deal. Here''s a shot of a Zambian piece which I cut some time ago.

ZamAm.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I''d say either Jackson''s Crossroads or Uruguayan. Gary Braun of Finewater Gems cut a lovely Uruguayan amethyst for me, and it was nowhere near the $1k you mentioned, even though it was nearly 10 carats.
1.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I''m not famous.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
If you look through the preferred vendors here, particularly the ones often mentioned, you will find some have a certain "style"...from concave cutting, to "chunky" faceting, or even a particular cut. This might influence whom you pick for your project.

Don''t be afraid to ask a vendor if they might have a type/color of stone in their stock...if you see something in thier "sold" list...they may have something like it that hasn''t yet been cut and can get you just the color and shape you are looking for.

Good luck!
Laura

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 8:52:04 PM
Author: Revolution
I''m not famous.
If you cut me a sphalerite that can be mounted, I shall commission a song about you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2010 8:44:22 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
I''d say either Jackson''s Crossroads or Uruguayan. Gary Braun of Finewater Gems cut a lovely Uruguayan amethyst for me, and it was nowhere near the $1k you mentioned, even though it was nearly 10 carats.
1.gif
Ditto the JXR or Uruguay amethysts. It will be more expensive than the regular amethyst but also well under $1K.
9.gif

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Let me see what I can do for you
10.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think someone, it may have been Cellentani, bought some amethyst rough, and sent it to Bob Kast for cutting. He does cut other people's rough. I think it was JXR rough too.

He can be reached through www.bobkast.com

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene at Precision Gems. I think Dan Stair cuts a beautiful cushion. I wouldn''t pay Jeff White prices for an amethyst. Ever.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 8:34:21 PM
Author: movie zombie
good quality...and i mean Good Quality....amethyst should be had for about $90 per carat.

you''re in luck that the tucson show is coming up as you could get a vendor to buy some rough to your specifications: do you want red flashes? blue and red flashes? blue flashes only? do you want one that looks like grape jelly? there is variation in amethyst and its all good when of high quality, imo.

i''d ask gene at precisiongem.com to cut such a stone for me.

mz
I''m having a hard time choosing, because I''ve seen pictures of several types of amethyst that look lovely. I wish I could see the different types in person to compare.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the suggestions. The Uruguay or JXR is probably the best bet for me, but the Nambian material is also quite attractive, and Dan Stair has some Nigerian ame that is very pretty. I am working my way through websites looking for colors and cutting styles I like.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2010 8:44:22 PM
Author: fierypyropixy
1.gif
I found this beauty in Gary''s sold gallery.

Amethyst - Finewater Uruguay - 60.JPG

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love the color and cut on this one from RH. It is too large at 11 mm, but I could see if he can cut a smaller one. His prices are steeper than I want to pay for ame, but then again I would be paying a decent amount for the custom setting, so it is easier to justify splurging on a fab stone that is worthy of the setting.

Amethyst - RH 11mm (sm).jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2010 12:15:36 AM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 1/12/2010 7:03:21 PM
Author:Kay
I am searching for an amethyst for a custom ring project. I want a square cushion with rounded corners, about 8 mm in diameter. The setting is not inexpensive, so I want a really good quality amethyst, but I also don''t want to over pay. (i.e., I can''t justify paying $1,000 for a 3 carat amethyst just because it is cut by a famous lapidary artist.)

Who would you recommend that can source great amethyst rough and cut a beautiful cushion?
Jeff White.. :)
I do love Jeff''s work, but I am "saving" him for a blue (sapphire/spinel/aqua) asscher someday.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone want to hazard a guess as to the origin of the Cartier amethyst, based on the color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results