shape
carat
color
clarity

Who would be a good replacement for Sarah Palin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
I would have Joe Lieberman. Since this whole thing with her firing somebody is a scandal now. Like the Clintons didn''t survive enough scandals. This one, with Palin, seems pretty miniscule compared to what the Clintons went thru. Just my opinion.
27.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
If they didn''t let McCain have Lieberman in the first place, why would they now?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moot point really. He''s not going to dump her at this late date. It would be the final confirmation that he hasn''t a clue what HE thinks, and is being driven by whatever wind is blowing the hardest at the moment. The die is cast and he and she go up, or down, together.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hahaha! This thread title just begs for a smart ass answer. Well, it seems like they let anyone be VP these days, so I would nominate my mom. She''s a lot smarter than Palin and she''s a Republican.

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 9:55:32 AM
Author: ksinger
Moot point really. He''s not going to dump her at this late date. It would be the final confirmation that he hasn''t a clue what HE thinks, and is being driven by whatever wind is blowing the hardest at the moment. The die is cast and he and she go up, or down, together.
But that doesn''t sound like a maverick to me.
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 9:58:53 AM
Author: thing2of2
Hahaha! This thread title just begs for a smart ass answer. Well, it seems like they let anyone be VP these days, so I would nominate my mom. She's a lot smarter than Palin and she's a Republican.

Another nomination for Thing's mom!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 8:29:55 AM
Author:starsapphire
I would have Joe Lieberman. Since this whole thing with her firing somebody is a scandal now. Like the Clintons didn''t survive enough scandals. This one, with Palin, seems pretty miniscule compared to what the Clintons went thru. Just my opinion.
27.gif
Uh, what makes you think that this is considered by the vast majority of Republican voters to be "A Scandal"?

Stated simply, Palin makes McCain less boring and more electable. She wouldn''t be causing this kind of stir otherwise. If she were ho-hum, like Biden, where would the excitement be? She''s got a huge approval rating from conservatives; he would be a complete idiot to replace her. Regardless of media hype, media bashing, or scandals real or imagined.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
This thread is just more bait for everyone to get together and trash Palin, as if there weren''t enough threads for that and the question couldn''t have been posed in one of those threads.

Sigh.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, not trying to start anything, but a lot of people seem to think that this is a scandal, and that this is the OCTOBER SURPRISE! I really think not. Seems to me, if you read what this police officer was doing, that should have been fired, that the guy who did get fired, got fired justifiably because he did not take care of an officer that was obviously out of control. I even saw an interview with the police officer, and HE said he should have been fired for what he was doing! The supervisior who was fired should have been fired. IMO. She did nothing wrong.

starsapphire

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 12:56:26 PM
Author: luckystar112
This thread is just more bait for everyone to get together and trash Palin, as if there weren''t enough threads for that and the question couldn''t have been posed in one of those threads.

Sigh.

Nope. If they are going to trash her, they are already doing it somewhere else on here. I was trying to have an intellegent discussion, as to who would be a good replacement for her, if something more serious were to happen with this. I do like her, but, sometimes the criticisms of her, frankly, do make some sense to me. I hate to say it. Sorry.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 12:52:47 PM
Author: HollyS

Stated simply, Palin makes McCain less boring and more electable.

I disagree. She hasn't done well with independents. If anything, she just excited "the base," those who would have voted for McCain even if he'd chosen Big Bird as his running mate.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I think the issue is that she and Todd kept pushing it even after the case was closed. Granted, Wooten was threatening her family and the first complaint was issued before Palin was Governor. A year went by and they were not given any updated status on the case, just promises that it was being "looked into". When Wooten got a slap on the wrist and was sent back to work, I think they were in disbelief. So they (Sarah and Todd, but moreso Todd) kept pushing and pushing, and had someone else look over the case again, but since they hadn't missed anything the first time it was worthless.
So then they started filing little complaints about Wooten out of spite, to Monegan, who did not find anything in those complaints that were worth firing Wooten over.
The picture of Wooten left on her desk ticked her off, and that is when she started looking for a replacement for Monegan. But since there were other reasons for his firing (real or made-up) no one can say for sure if that was the real motive--and she was within her rights to fire him at any time and for any reason anyway. That is what makes it lawful. If she hadn't made such a big deal about Wooten and just fired Monegan on her own accord (whether due to Wooten or not), no one would be saying anything.

But I do think the word "scandal" is a bit of a stretch. We have to remember that it is an opinion that she violated ethics code, but that no law was broken.

ETA: Personally, I think the bigger flub is who she had replace Monegan, Mr. Kopp. He had to resign just over two weeks later because his previous employer had shared a file that showed he was a sexual predator (or something...don't take my word for it yet I'm going to go double check!!!)

ETA2: Yeah, I got that wrong. He had a complaint filed against him for sexual harassment of another employee at his previous place of employment. Not a sexual predator!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be shocked if McCain replaced her. I think he would have been out of the race completely by now without her.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 1:02:35 PM
Author: starsapphire
Yeah, not trying to start anything, but a lot of people seem to think that this is a scandal, and that this is the OCTOBER SURPRISE! I really think not. Seems to me, if you read what this police officer was doing, that should have been fired, that the guy who did get fired, got fired justifiably because he did not take care of an officer that was obviously out of control. I even saw an interview with the police officer, and HE said he should have been fired for what he was doing! The supervisior who was fired should have been fired. IMO. She did nothing wrong.
I thought the potential OCTOBER SURPRISE was supposed to be Tony Rezko giving information about his involvement with Obama.
33.gif

I agree with you star - a trooper who tasers an 11 year old clearly shouldn't be in a position of authority over anyone. However, hypothetically I wouldn't pick Lieberman - too liberal for me!
2.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 3:08:57 PM
Author: IndyGirl22

I thought the potential OCTOBER SURPRISE was supposed to be Tony Rezko giving information about his involvement with Obama.
33.gif

I agree with you star - a trooper who tasers an 11 year old clearly shouldn''t be in a position of authority over anyone. However, hypothetically I wouldn''t pick Lieberman - too liberal for me!
2.gif
I didn''t know that the Dem. woman had said that the investgation would be an "October surprise." Sorry! I did read an article, however, concerning Tony Rezko''s plea bargaining and the possibility of him revealing more information about his involvement with Obama and the author there called it an "October Surprise" as well. Funny, huh?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 12:56:26 PM
Author: luckystar112

Sigh.

psst! Deborah! See, even lucky agrees with me that there a million Palin threads already! I could never figure out why there was a new Palin thread started every time a new topic involving her came up. Why can''t it be consolidated? I''m all confused on where to put my Palin linkys!
33.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 4:20:44 PM
Date: 10/11/2008 3:08:57 PM

33.gif

I agree with you star - a trooper who tasers an 11 year old clearly shouldn''t be in a position of authority over anyone. However, hypothetically I wouldn''t pick Lieberman - too liberal for me!
2.gif
I didn''t know that the Dem. woman had said that the investgation would be an ''October surprise.'' Sorry! I did read an article, however, concerning Tony Rezko''s plea bargaining and the possibility of him revealing more information about his involvement with Obama and the author there called it an ''October Surprise'' as well. Funny, huh?

I have been following the Rezko case as well. So far, it sounds like mostly another case of guilt by association, and nothing more. I am trying to keep up with the developments. Every politician is going to have encounters and relationships with people who prove to be unscrupulous later, like Palin and Ted Stevens. Unless there is something significant there for either association, it is nothing more than a distraction.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to add third vote for Thing''s mom lol

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. This is random, but in my Soc Research Studies we were discussing why a undercover academic was arrested because he was close by to a crime that was being committed (which he was studying). So I asked my prof, "So you're saying this is basically a 'Guilt by Proximity' thing then, right?" To which she laughed and agreed.

So Trillionaire, you're comment about "Guilt by association" made me think of this.

As for a replacement for Palin (which I also don't think will happen because it's too late) would be...Big Bird!

Seriously, Palin has done nothing for McCain in picking up Independents. If I were him I would have picked Ron Paul, but with them both being in their 70s, that would not have looked good to the people who have been complaining about his age. But Ron Paul seems to appeal to Indys, Repubs and Dems. And he's interesting...

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 1:29:19 PM
Author: mrssalvo
I would be shocked if McCain replaced her. I think he would have been out of the race completely by now without her.

Yeah, she''s not being replaced. And I don''t want her to be.
1.gif
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 4:56:55 PM
Author: FrekeChild
If I were him I would have picked Ron Paul, but with them both being in their 70s, that would not have looked good to the people who have been complaining about his age. But Ron Paul seems to appeal to Indys, Repubs and Dems. And he''s interesting...

THAT would have been interesting. I don''t know if RP would have accepted, on principle, but he is pro-life...

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 1:29:19 PM
Author: mrssalvo

What does that say about McCain? Genuinely curious.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 5:01:59 PM
Author: trillionaire

If I were him I would have picked Ron Paul, but with them both being in their 70s, that would not have looked good to the people who have been complaining about his age. But Ron Paul seems to appeal to Indys, Repubs and Dems. And he's interesting...

THAT would have been interesting. I don't know if RP would have accepted, on principle, but he is pro-life...
I wonder how much support of Ron Paul is due to the current state of the election and its candidates. I didn't hear all of this support earlier in the election...

ETA: Not saying he wouldn't be a good choice - I admittedly don't know too much about him but I also don't have any negative feelings towards him as a candidate. I was just wondering why, if he was so popular, he faded out so quickly. Hindsight is 20/20, right?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer the original question: anyone. Literally any random person on the street. IMHO, of course.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 5:35:07 PM
Date: 10/11/2008 5:01:59 PM

Author: trillionaire

If I were him I would have picked Ron Paul, but with them both being in their 70s, that would not have looked good to the people who have been complaining about his age. But Ron Paul seems to appeal to Indys, Repubs and Dems. And he''s interesting...

THAT would have been interesting. I don''t know if RP would have accepted, on principle, but he is pro-life...
I wonder how much support of Ron Paul is due to the current state of the election and its candidates. I didn''t hear all of this support earlier in the election...

I did.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 5:54:19 PM
Author: MoonWater

I did.
Could you explain to me why he is not in the running then? I would like to know.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/11/2008 6:06:28 PM

Date: 10/11/2008 5:54:19 PM
Author: MoonWater

I did.
Could you explain to me why he is not in the running then? I would like to know.
I''ll take a stab. I think it''s because all the protests to the contrary, people are mostly addicted to the nastiness now. A middle of the road candidate with a reasonable mixed platform is NOT what we want. We don''t want nuance, or middle of anything. We want extremes. We want to FIGHT. We LOVE it. Hey, it''s all about the "excitement" factor. Palin is "exciting", incendiary, get''s people all FIRED UP. Ron Paul isn''t and doesn''t.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/11/2008 6:16:09 PM
Author: ksinger

Date: 10/11/2008 6:06:28 PM

I''ll take a stab. I think it''s because all the protests to the contrary, people are mostly addicted to the nastiness now. A middle of the road candidate with a reasonable mixed platform is NOT what we want. We don''t want nuance, or middle of anything. We want extremes. We want to FIGHT. We LOVE it. Hey, it''s all about the ''excitement'' factor. Palin is ''exciting'', incendiary, get''s people all FIRED UP. Ron Paul isn''t and doesn''t.
I agree with this, although I remember Ron Paul garnering a lot of support I just don''t know what happened to him - he just dropped off the map. I think the "excitement" factor is key, in regards to Palin but also to Obama. The young, hip, controversial, unknown, etc. automatically get people''s attention (good or bad). I thought Ron Paul''s unique message got some people fired up but not to the same extent or breadth. I think the current state of the US, as well as the world, has dramatically changed our political system forever; I remember that Clinton did very well as a more moderate liberal. I do agree with you about the "we" - if there was enough of "us" that didn''t support the two-extreme system it wouldn''t exist. Maybe one day...

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
He should have picked Marsha Blackburn.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results