shape
carat
color
clarity

who will inherit your jewelry collection?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2008 6:40:13 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 7/11/2008 6:20:13 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
we told our two daughters to split everything down the middle.
Sounds great in theory, but it seldom turns out well.
20.gif

The one good thing about that arrangement is that you and your wife will not be around to witness the turmoil created
38.gif
that''s what it''ll say in our revokable living trust.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a bit sad that so many of you won''t consider anything going to daughter-in-laws... but that''s because I have a pendant that belonged to my husband''s gram! And I absolutely adore it; would be more upset if I lost it than if I lost my e-ring b/c it''s irreplacable, old, custom Tiffany. It was designed by my hubby''s grandfather who knows when... I was not lucky enough to meet gram, but for some reason I''ve always felt a connection to her and part of that is probably b/c I wear her necklace- always! It feels super special to me to have jewelry that belonged to someone who was such an integral part of my young husband''s life. I know that his mom/ and Gram wanted each sibling to have one of the special pieces, so I''m glad they didn''t give everything to his sister.

Of course, his sister did also get a very lovely ring!! my husband''s sister has their gram''s also old Tiffany, HUGE (4, 5 ct?) ruby engagement ring. I''ve still yet to set eyes on it, b/c my SIL doesn''t wear it. I think that mostly has to do with the huge expense it would be to insure the ring. I was hoping to convince her to wear it to our wedding last summer, but she didn''t want to travel with it
8.gif
It breaks my heart a bit that such a stunning meaningful ring is sittng in a box somewhere.

So on behalf of all of the daughers-in-law out there, don''t completely rule us out
12.gif
And though hubs and I will not divorce, I would absolutely give him the necklace back if we did (in some alternate universe hehe)

I think eventually I would leave my jewerly to potential children, or erm special in-laws
1.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I think that''s one area where I don''t have to feel guilty: I''ll be giving DDIL my other 18k and diamond watch and a necklace, pendant, or a bracelet or two.

Jewelerman, what should I expect to pay for the appraisals? Might there be a special price for appraising an entire collection?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
First i would shop for an appraiser in your area,large cities are more expensive then smaller areas.I would make sure that the appraiser is a certified gemologist or appraiser and also ask how much experiance or years the appraiser has under his belt.Keep in mind that some appraisers excell in differant areas...many know diamonds,but it may take some shopping or questions to find one experianced in identifying antique jewelry or colored stones or ethnic jewelry or watches. After you have talked to jewelry stores or appraisal services , ask them if their appraisals are in house or sent out...i myself would want my appraisal to be done by a certified appraiser with experiance and who is in house...if the jewelry store hires an appraisal service then they send it out and the cost is higher(usually doubled in my experiance)you dont know what experiance the appraiser has or how they are storing your jewelry against theft or damage.Make sure that when you leave jewelry for appraisal that you get written documentation with the claim tickets that state condition(chips,scratches, loose stones or missing parts)and if the stones are diamonds or cubic zirconia (it takes time but make sure that you get all this info in writing... no matter what... and if the store hesitates then go some where else)and record number of pearls on a strand or if a watch was in running condition when left for appraisal.The first appraisal will be more expensive and then any additional pieces appraised after that should be less expensive...most stores will give multiple piece discounts and make sure you shop around and record the quoted prices and dont be afraid to ask for a better price when there are many pieces done at once.I would not bring all the pieces in at once but see how you like the quality of the first appraisals you recieve.Before commiting to use a particular store or service than i would ask what information will be given in the appraisal and if you get pictures ect...ask to see a finished appraisal and look at the quality of paper,laminates,ect that are used.In my area(western united states)appraisals cost from as low as $35.00 per piece to $200.00 per piece depending on the amount of work and research on that piece and if theres pictures ect...the average price being about$90 for the first piece...and anywhere from $35.00 to $75.00 each for additional pieces.Appraisals can get expensive so if the piece cost under $1,000 then an appraisal may have to wait...when buying a piece of jewelry ask about a free appraisal as a condition of the sale.Hope this helps....

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, jewelerman.
35.gif
Hard copy printed
36.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I am afraid from personal experience that passing jewelry down to daughter in law carries risk.

My mother gave the only diamond ring that my father bought her to my sister in law when they got married (she wears the original jade ering, the diamond ring was given to her when they had more money years later). One year and half after the wedding, my brother and SIL had a nasty divorce, and she took the ring with her and used it as negotiating tool to want money from my family.

My mother knows how special that diamond ring is to me (it symbolizes my late father''s love to my family), yet she stubbornly refused to "give in" to that evil person''s demand.

Now that ring is lost to my family forever and we will never see it again.

I do not mean to be pessimistic but really, daughter in laws can and may abuse any gift you give, therefore from my lesson, I will think twice about giving away the most sentimental pieces to in laws....

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2008 1:24:16 AM
Author: zhuzhu
I am afraid from personal experience that passing jewelry down to daughter in law carries risk.

My mother gave the only diamond ring that my father bought her to my sister in law when they got married (she wears the original jade ering, the diamond ring was given to her when they had more money years later). One year and half after the wedding, my brother and SIL had a nasty divorce, and she took the ring with her and used it as negotiating tool to want money from my family.

My mother knows how special that diamond ring is to me (it symbolizes my late father''s love to my family), yet she stubbornly refused to ''give in'' to that evil person''s demand.

Now that ring is lost to my family forever and we will never see it again.

I do not mean to be pessimistic but really, daughter in laws can and may abuse any gift you give, therefore from my lesson, I will think twice about giving away the most sentimental pieces to in laws....
Exactly, which is why I won''t ever give anything to any future DIL''s. It''s sad, but true.

And I''m so sorry about your mom''s ring.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results