shape
carat
color
clarity

who went wedding gown shopping with you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I''m asking this question because I was watching this show on TLC (I think) called SAY YES TO THE DRESS...and it takes place here in NYC''s Kleinfeld''s. This poor bride came with her cousin and her maid of honor. The maid of honor was WAYYYY too opinionated and disrespectful toward the bride. She was annoyed the bride didn''t liked the dress SHE chose for the bride to try on. She said to her..what''s your problem? She also poo-poo''d the dress the bride LOVED...so this made the bride really confused.

Another bride had her grown daughter and sister with her. The first dress she tried on she lit up like a christmas tree...she LOVED it. You could see by her smile she loved it. She said...I LOVE it and think this is it. Her daughter rudely says I don''t like it. WTH? is this the daughter''s wedding? No it''s her mothers wedding. If her mom loved it that should be good enough (imo).

Did any of you have this experience? I had my mom and my sister with me and they only said nice things.

What''s wrong with people and their diarrhea mouth?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I just went with my mom and I wouldn''t have had it any other way. We have a good shopping dynamic where she will be honest, but it doesn''t offend me because I know she just wants me to look good. I also was not interested in anyone''s opinion or felt they needed to see how much we spent. I won''t lie- this created a lot of tension and some minor issues with my future mother-in-law and FI, but I am glad I stood my ground. This was important to me to do just with my mom. She cried- I cried- it was a great moment.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I went with my MOH alone, with my MOH and one of my bridesmaids, and with my mom. I had great experiences with all, although I think my bridesmaid got really bored since she is not engaged yet. My MOH was definitely honest without being hurtful. My mom was probably the "worst" because she got so emotional seeing me in wedding dresses that her reaction almost swayed me to get a dress I didn''t really love. I could never buy a dress the way they do on that show...I had to take pictures of myself in them and go home and really think about it.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went with a girlfriend of mine. We aren''t having a bridal party. Then I went again by myself, and found my dress.

My mom would have been there, but she lives on the other side of the country.

I prefer shopping by myself.... even though it''s kind of lame to do so when you''re shopping for your wedding dress.
3.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
I went by myself, on a whim, to a consignment shop. And ended up loving a dress and putting a $20 deoposit on it to hold it. Then I took my mom the next day to pick it up.
After seeing shows like that, I''m glad I went by myself! I can''t imagine any of my family or friends saying stuff like that... except, maybe, my MIL
11.gif

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I have a hard time watching that TLC show, because I just want to smack everyone! Why, why, why do these brides bring these obnoxious people with them??!! I went gown shopping with a good friend who was also engaged, so we both had fun trying stuff on. Only when I had it nailed down did I bring my mom - but she''s not the type to really enjoy that type of stuff, so I don''t think she felt left out at all.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I went by myself, and I did not have anyproblem deciding wich wedding dress I wanted to wear
3.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went with my mum, and I was amazed at the ones that I tried on that she ADORED... I don't think I liked any of them!! And the ones I was drawn to, she thought were so-so (mind you, she didn't actually say that, she just wanted me to be happy, but I can read mum like a book!!). Which really surprised me, because she and I have very similar tastes and ideals regarding that sort of thing. When I found MY dress she got teary and had a massive smile on her face, just like myself!! I loved dress shopping with her, would do it all again! Just the dress shopping bit though
9.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I''m currently shopping by myself, I didn''t want to have to deal with anyone''s opinion/suggestions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had 2 of my future SIL''s. They knew my taste, and were totally honest, though in a polite way, of their opinions. Thing is, we all pretty much agreed on what we did and didn''t like. And it was a unanimous yes on the eventual dress.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I saw that episode of SYTTD and I thought the same thing. When you go dress shopping with someone, you hold your opinion until the bride tells you if she likes it or not. If she loves it, then you say "well, it''s not quite what I pictures for you, but if you love it then you should definitely get it" or something like that.

When I went shopping for my dress my mother and future mother in law came with me. They liked everything I tried on, which didn''t help me narrow it down!! But my mother in law pulled this one dress off the rack that I never would have picked for myself... I tried it on and EVERYBODY''S face just lit up. Apparently, it was the perfect dress for me. I loved it, they loved it, and that was it!

KatyWI

Brilliant_Rock
I went with my MOH and my other best friend in the world.

We all pretty much had the same "eh" opinions on most dresses until I put on *my dress*.

Then my best friend cried, my MOH almost did, and I couldn''t stop beaming and didn''t want to take it off... so that pretty much sealed the deal. :)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 9:58:30 AM
Author: purselover
I''m currently shopping by myself, I didn''t want to have to deal with anyone''s opinion/suggestions.

good move! The only opinion that counts is yours! Have fun searching for the dress!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I took my mom and her best friend/my aunt!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I went with my mom most of the times I went and once with my mom and stepmom.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I went with a friend once, then went by myself. I found my dress when I went by myself. It was so perfect for me that I didn''t feel like I needed a second opinion.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I took my Mom on the one visit to the bridal salon. I ended up ordering my dress from J.Crew, so it just came in the mail, I tried it on, and that was that!
9.gif

I saw that episode - I wanted to smack all of them!!!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went trying on gowns by myself. As soon as I put on the gown I had my mind set on from the start, I just knew.
Then I shopped price from one bridal shop to another. When my gown came in, I took my then fiance''/now husband with me to see it on me. I thought the lady in the bridal shop was going to start dousing us with holy water for breaking a cardinal rule, but I explained that I was disowned by my family for getting married to this man and I had no one but my husband. Then she thought it was a sweet idea to bring him.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I just brought my best friend, who was also my miad of honor, and my only attendant (I had a very small wedding). My mother was not invited because she is a bossy control freak when it comes to some things, so I can''t shop with her
emsmilep.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually on a whim just stopped by right after work into a shop, and saw two dresses, the first one I thought I would like on the rack, looked terrible on me, then just glance at one,looked ehh, but that was the one. So in short no one as it was a spur of the moment thing for me put some money down on layaway and was done.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a little browsing with my FMIL, but ultimately designed a dress and had it made in China, my parents came with me, but didn''t really have much input, heh.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
I had an entourage! I bought my gown at a wedding show, so I had my mom, my MOH, FMIL, 3 FSILs (also BMs) and FI''s grandma.
3.gif
They knew not to say anything bad because I couldn''t stop smiling. In the end though, it wouldn''t have mattered what anyone else thought, I''d have bought what I loved. I''m stubborn like that.
1.gif

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
i went on my own for the most part but my cousin was nice enough to accompany me when she had the time, when i found the ONE, i made sure to have her come see it before i bought it
1.gif

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
You would be surprised at the entourages a lot of bride''s bring into our store! I''m sometimes amazed at the comments these people will give to their friends.

I''ve seen many girls cry or try to fight back tears.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom. My sisters. My best friends.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I went once with my mom and dad (my poor dad--he was such a trooper!), then once with my MOH, then once with another bridesmaid. All the trips were great, and everyone offered constructive, kind advice. The last trip ended up being the most productive--I finally found the dress, and my bridesmaid was able to help me think carefully about alterations since she has a lot of experience with costume design and alteration.

Who can be mean to a bride trying on wedding dresses? That is awful! Why mar such a joyful time in your friend or relative''s life?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Ooh, I''m glad I read this thread--I can''t go dress shopping with my mom or best friends since they all live in another country and wanted to go alone but thought maybe that was weird. Hooray that it isn''t! I''ve had a few chick friends offer to go shopping with me, but I''m very self-conscious of myself when I''m doing any type of clothes shopping. Dresses usually make me the most uncomfortable (when possible, I wear jeans jeans jeans), so I don''t really want anyone around when I''m figuring out what types of gowns to try on.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I went with my mom to the first place and then my mom and sister to the second place. My mom and sister are both very honest, but in a tactful way. I wouldn''t have gone with anyone else.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My best friend went with me. I had called my mom, but she didn't even bother to call back. She is/was a control freak and I guess it was best that she didn't come because she would have probably picked out my dress for me/told me what to buy.

Her and I don't talk any more. Wonder why.

(oh, and I picked out a Betsy Johnson dress that was "fun," because we eloped in Vegas.)

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2009 12:23:01 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
You would be surprised at the entourages a lot of bride''s bring into our store! I''m sometimes amazed at the comments these people will give to their friends.

I''ve seen many girls cry or try to fight back tears.

yes it amazes me to seeing how rude ppl are toward they are to someone who they supposedly love unconditionally. Not everyone is supposed to have the same taste. As long as the bride loves it that''s all that matters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results