shape
carat
color
clarity

Who was curious about the GIA program?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I spoke to the GIA admissions, and I was told they may be reopening the chicago branch this year (MAYBE). I live in Michigan, and the traveling to NY for the lab class is the only thing preventing me from completing the Graduate Diamonds. With 2 kids, its hard to travel away for a week or so. I am signing up for the diamonds and diamond grading class in the next few weeks. I am hoping they do open up the chicago branch this year though!!!

The campus courses might be better for the GG, but for some (including me) spending that much time away from my kids isnt possable, so elearning is the way to go. Plus, I like the learn at your own pace so I dont HAVE to spend 20 weeks on a course if I dont need to.

I said above the program is best for someone who wants to get into the field. For me it is for that reason, and as a stepping stone to get my GD, and eventually my GG.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coati, thanks for the clarifications. Considering some of the loops I had to go through for my own industries certifications (I''ve got the pulled hair to prove it...lol) When I post on boards in my industry, I do in fact use every bit of those certs and degree letters after my government name.

I''m incognito here and love it. I was a bit suprised when I saw what GIA offered, but it makes sense for those new and in the trade.

The colored gem course sounds like a lot of fun. I''m going to poke around on their website to see if there''s a course offered in or around Boston. Thats a class I''d be very interested in going to.

My jeweler is funny, he said that if I ever decided to change careers he''d have a spot for me lol. (its not likely, as I''d never have any money!!!)

-A

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deia,
You might want to take a look at Gem-A''s FGA programme.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish they had something on-campus on a one-day-a-week basis. I guess I have to look into programs at local colleges.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2010 4:38:55 PM
Author: Harriet
Deia,

Thanks Harriet, will check that out over the weekend.

silverfreak

Rough_Rock
An A.J.P. is NOT the same as a G.G. and should not even be considered as such.
20.gif
It takes several YEARS to get a real G.G. Most of the television jewelry hosts have the A.J.P. Not trying to sound harsh, but it is what it is.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Never said it was a GG...in face through this whole post I have said it was my stepping stone to getting my GG (sence the classes are required to get it).

I cant imagine the jewelry show ladies having a AJP...it stresses disclosure through the whole thing. If they do, GIA should revoke accreditation to those who sell like that.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2010 6:56:42 AM
Author: Deia

Date: 1/21/2010 4:38:55 PM
Author: Harriet
Deia,

Thanks Harriet, will check that out over the weekend.
Deia - I''m doing the FGA here in London.

I started doing the correspondence course, but the combination of fighting a huge legal battle for over a year/having a baby and the FGA deciding to change the syllabus and completely redo the exam structure meant that I would only get the one shot at the exam (minimum pass rate is 70% on the theory).

To do it via correspondence, you will need 2 years mimimum to complete the whole FGA and I would reckon you need to be able to give a whole weekend every 2-3 weeks to get through it that fast. The assignments aren''t that fast to do.

You don''t get to see much in the way of stones for a LONG time - it''s mainly theory, and the FGA doesn''t do much on diamonds, for that you want the DGA.

Anyway, I decided to go for the evening class version - 2 nights a week for 5 months for the Foundation part and then a bit longer for the Diploma section - and now I can escape from kiddo for a few hours!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results